Star Wars: The Rise of Spoilers and Speculation

I had a very strong feeling that this was just a very big setup for the real Big Bang, which will be episode 8 and 9. A bit of a remake of ep 4 that left all the real mysteries to the next chapter.

I finally saw it. And loved it.
It has its flaws of course. But it felt so good! A new Hope for a new generation is what comes to mind.
The new characters were really good. Both Fin and Rey felt fresh and familiar (in a Star Wars specific way) at the same time. And the chemistry between them was spot on.
The action was filled with humor, making it as lighthearted as a Star Wars movie should be. And the humor actually worked this time, as opposed to the awful prequels.

It really comes down to what they'll do with the next movie.
Kylo Ren was... interesting.
I haven't made up my mind, if I like him, or not.
He needs more fleshing out. I hope that will happen in the next one.
And I really need to see what they have in store for Luke.
(Also, where the hell did they find Anakins and Lukes old saber???)

One thing's for certain, I feel like my childhood Star Wars is restored with this one. :)

One thing that's just amazing is not only how they'd find his saber, but how remarkably close to each other and easy to find everyone seems to be! In a whole galaxy! I mean, yes sci-fi but the galaxy is an awful big place.

Saw it last night and whilst I came out excited at having watched a well presented movie, I also was quite disappointed that it seemed just a remake of New Hope, as mentioned here. I honestly couldn't believe how much the writers decided to follow the exact same plot and flow. I loved returning to the feel of Star Wars, as opposed to ep 1-3, but they could have done some things different. I haven't read any Star Wars books so not sure how much was taken from them.
  • A child of Han and Leia having force and lured to the Dark Side was a logical and good basis for the Bad Guy
  • Some great nostalgic nods to the first trilogy, though perhaps too much of it. Seemed an overdose shoved into 2 hours. Possibly wanted to please old fans and get that over with in the first movie.
  • Phasma both having access to shut down an entire shield for the New Orders super-weapon and no safe guards or multiple-personnel authority is just stupid. One of many mirrors of New Hope that was handled better in the first one.
  • There seems to be absolutely no concept of distance or logic in this universe.
    • This ridiculous (must be bigger and better than previous one) super system-killer weapon targets systems, not planets. Shows it travelling across seemingly vast inter-stellar distances in minutes to destroy a distant group of planets and implies they're targeting another star-system later. Ren actually watches it shooting across space.
    • The good guys actually watch this from a planet in daytime shooting across the sky and splitting to the various planets, indicating they're all contained in this single system or that the planet killing event occurred years before for them to actually see it.
    • The physics of depleting a sun ("till it's gone" LOL) aside, this means every time they want to fire the weapon, they have to move the planet (hundreds times larger than the Death Star and still mostly a planet inside) to another system many light years away that has a sun. Apparently for the movie they already built it in a binary system since they have access to 2 suns.
    • If this planet-death-star has to move to another sun, how do they get there? They actually have some kind of propulsion that doesn't take many many generations to arrive at a new solar system?
All logic and science is thrown out the window though because Star Wars. It's a great sci-fi action drama just like (too much like) New Hope that they pulled off well.

I loved the film, it made me feel like an excited child all over again.

Kylo Ren was brilliant, he had that creepiness (especially in the Solo scene) that Javier Bardem had in Skyfall. What a great leading bad guy.

The flashback with the saber showed both Skywalker and Ren so it seems clear to me that Rey and Ren were both trained by Luke. Maybe he disappeared because of failing Solo by turning his son to the dark side?

Also, I liked how the older actors had impact and it wasn't just about the young twenties-somethings. They had power that's usually reserved for the young in films.

Star Wars was kind of underwhelming. I definitely expected something more "epic", character-wise.

And why oh why did they decide to charge the super weapon by "draining" a star? Didn't any of these writers take a science class? Fantasy and make believe is one thing, but that shit is just ridiculous.

I don't think there was much science in Star Wars. Before asking about draining a star, you should probably ask how they can make light saber, in a scientific way ofc. For me, Star Wars is more about fantasy with scifi setting.
Anyway, the should destory Leia's planet in the first try, unless other planet is blocking its path. In that case, why they need to wait for the charge at 100%? Considering the massive power, even 10% should probably enough to destroy any living things on the planet. At 50% is definitely enough to destroy a planet or two. Imagine if gadgets can only work after being charged at 100%... "Honey, we are leaving" "can't do sweetie, the phone is still at 90%". You bet that she will beat the crap out of you before the phone reach 100% and that what essentially happened in Star Wars.

Poor film. Action flick consisting mostly of poorly rehashed scenes from the previous films with a whiny kid and a giant projected golem as the evil guys.

I don't understand how some people can be so enthusiastic about this. Out of all the movies they could have made they made the worst possible one. Hardly anything new and what is new is lame like the first order. Whiny kid needs master's assistance for everything. Whiny kid trows a tantrum when things don't go his way. Whiny kid gets hurt a storm trooper and a kid that never had any light saber training. Giant weapon that has it's weak point totally exposed and unprotected to the point where a dozen or so rebels can destroy it. etc etc.

After about 30 minutes I felt I should have gone and see Spectre instead. But everything is star wars themed these days. From cookies to house insurance so Disney got what they wanted. Too bad they couldn't be bothered to produce a half decent film in the process. Might has well have gone for a remake of the original movies if this is their direction. Would have been able to milk it even more that way.

Like I said, the only thing that would make sense for me is if the 'projected golem' takes the body of the 'whiny kid'.

Like I said, the only thing that would make sense for me is if the 'projected golem' takes the body of the 'whiny kid'.

I don't see that happening as then you lose the Han/Leia link which will likely be integral to the story later on.

I don't think that matters. He will still look like their son and as I suggested before I think his soul will probably still be in there.

They are like Thetans
That's how I like my mythology. Clearly made up. :)
I like it even more, when it actually states that it's nothing more than fiction though. :D

Honestly, the midichlorian thing (however the hell it is spelled) really ruined it for me...
Fiction and fantasy need no explanation in my view, as long as their rules and truths are consistent within the mythos they establish.
So, no midichlorians, good thing in my book. :)

Back