Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Yep, but for watching normal video I would just keep the image exactly in front of you at all times.
Some have stated that it really doesn't really feel good to have image glued to your vision. (Feeling ill due to senses and view do not match.)
Agreed that if it doesn't matter it certainly would be very nice way to view movies.

Some have stated that it really doesn't really feel good to have image glued to your vision. (Feeling ill due to senses and view do not match.)
Agreed that if it doesn't matter it certainly would be very nice way to view movies.

Even if it wasn't glued, how much do you actually tilt your head from side to side when watching a movie anyway? It's certainly never been a problem for me with 3d glasses.

Interesting PSVR question was posted on GAF by user Pif:
"Is PSVR's hardware future-proof and will be used with PS5?"

I can see it going both ways.

While I see no reason it is anything different from a monitor (i.e. Yes, of course it will work) I do expect a resolution upgrade by that time. So the current model will be supported, but newer model with higher resolution will go on sale around then at the latest I'd wager.

Resolution upgrade and untethered tech are not big deals IMO. If just that is added, then I can see v1 of PSVR being supported on new console as a "budget option" and a easy way of transitioning big PS4 VR userbase on nextgen.

But if core rendering gets affected with things such as "in-headset eye tracking for enabling foveated rendering", then PSVR v1 may be sent to die like old GH/RB plastic guitars.

Foveated makes sense with high resolution displays to save performance. I'd expect the PS5 to handle the PSVRv1 easily. What I'm looking forward are HDR displays. The mix of VR and HDR is gonna be awesome.

Why would Sony release a PS4 only PSVR? That makes no sense at all. not it you're trying to grow a market and it also goes against Sonys usual ideal where accessories are used across generations. .

I find it slightly annoying also, the idea of having to buy two different sets of hardware, and it would also be weird for developers, say that you were using Unity to develop a game also for PS4, but you'd not be able to connect a PSVR to your development PC. I hope they'll just make it work on PC also.

Why would Sony release a PS4 only PSVR? That makes no sense at all. not it you're trying to grow a market and it also goes against Sonys usual ideal where accessories are used across generations. .

Microsoft has released x360-only Kinect. Same could happen with PS4s PSVR.

I think PSVR has the same function as any other display you would attach to the PS4/5. It will work with 5 but by then we might just have a newer version with better screen/lighter/smaller etc just like our 5 will work with our current TV and whatever newer model we might have in a few years.

I don't think there's any such philosophy. Controllers are new every gen. Camera was abandoned - twice. Headsets have been released and then not work. Bluetooth headsets, official Sony ones, don't work on PS4. Expensive stearing wheels, though not Sony official ones, don't work. Even GT sacntioned wheels.

As tech moves on, supporting old tech doesn't always make sense. If VR headsets are all 4k uber low latency foveated rendering by the time PS5 launches, why use a three year old, crusty fixed rendering headset? But then if next gen VR works the same as PSVR and you can provide the option to use the old headset, there's no reaosn not to. Ultimately, the future shoudln't be held back by legacy support IMO. If foveated rendering is a real option then, ignoring it in favour of supporting PSVR would be a bad move. (Possibly they could have two render mode, full res for PSVR and foveated for PSVR2)

I don't think there's any such philosophy.

There are plenty of examples where an older gen product worked on the newer hardware for a start video leads, cameras, buzzers & guitars etc. Move will work - if Sony want to seriously enter the VR market then they will not restrict this to PS4 only.

Yes there are, but it's not usual as you suggest. It's maybe 50/50, and depends on the generation. But importantly, not everything can be trusted to carry over, even simple things like headsets and USB steering wheels. There's certainly no precedent that peripherals on one gen will carry over to the next. As I say, 50/50.

And in many cases it makes sense to ditch the old system. eg. Move. Move will work, but a new Move with directional control on the wand would be better and that'd be a better target for PS4 VR. If VR is required to support Move as well as optional Move+ (if such a thing releases), those games may have hampered control schemes. Whereas if we ditch requirement for supporting the old Moves, every Move+ game on PSVR would be designed around wand+directional control.

It just depends if it makes sense keeping legacy support or not. If PSVR isn't supported on PS5, it'll mean people selling PS4+PSVR bundles to help fund their new console and VR experience, just like they have to sell their old steering wheels to get a new one that'll work on PS4.

Which is why I said Sony. MS have a history of releasing accessories per console whereas Sony have a history of releasing accessories which can work on later consoles.
I'm struggling to think of many. Original non-DualShock PlayStation controllers didn't work with PS2, PS2 controllers didn't work with PS3 and PS3 controllers are all sorts of a compromise on PS4. PS2's EyeToy saw no support on PS3 and PS3's PlayStation Eye saw virtually no support on PS4, which has it's own camera. I know PS3's Move controllers are supported on PS4 but few games seem to bother.

Since DualShock 4 is officially supported on PS3 [Sony even added support for wireless connectivity], I think that is a clear sign that VR headset made for PS5 will also work on PS4!

:D

It was primarily USB security that caused issues with supporting older peripherals so far having been the root of PS3s most significant security breach, but they've been hard at work to fix them (see Rock Band 4 supporting the old instruments in the end), and I think by the time GT7 comes, issues with wheels may well be fixed too

The issue of PS4 not supporting certain popular Logitech wheels is 99.9% political. Logitech is focused on selling G29 which is just a rebrand of G27 [it and all older Logi wheels are perfectly playable on PS4 using homebrew solutions]. I expect those older wheels will become supported when some unknown "exclusivity window" of G29 expires [hopefully right when GT Sport arrives].

I'm struggling to think of many.

Well I listed a load for you. Also, the PS2 camera did work with PS3 and with DS2 you could use it on PS3 with a converter but IIRC no rumble worked. I recall when I bought the PS3 it was nice not having to rebuy everything...you already got a controller with it so it was nice if other players wanted to play I could use the old controllers. Anyway, controllers are the main feature so I wouldn't expect any b/c - it's nice to have basic b/c though.

Yes there are, but it's not usual as you suggest. It's maybe 50/50, and depends on the generation. But importantly, not everything can be trusted to carry over, even simple things like headsets and USB steering wheels. There's certainly no precedent that peripherals on one gen will carry over to the next. As I say, 50/50.

I suppose it could be ~ 50/50 but I still think it'd be stupid to make PSVR PS4 only, Kinect is a great example of PSVRs future if it isn't compatible with PS5.

Back