Gabe Newell: Valve will release its own console-like PC

There is no "console like experience". Steam's Big Picture mode and a console are two totally different arenas, and I know which arena I personally would rather spend my time in.

I disagree, if limited to games that require control pad input only, and don't exit steam to run another games launcher, the experience is very console like. It breaks down only when third part launchers are required, and the ability to control windows with the controller would get around that problem (not perfectly but in a workable fashion), and in games that require a keyboard and mouse to function, or to be competitive in multiplayer situations. There's little way around that.

You obviously don't play mouse/keyboard shooters games on your couch, that's just stupid. I have a great console-like experience launching Steam BP from Kodi to play excellent couch games like GTA V, Assassin's Creed, Trine etc, all streaming from my high powered PC over the network.

I'll say this about 'your generation' (not knowing how old you or Malo or pjbliverpool etc are)...you make for crap members of this forum with your shitty, overopinionated, derogatory attitude and I doubt 'your generation' will last long into the new year if you keep this up.

Is this sarcasm?

You obviously don't play mouse/keyboard shooters games on your couch, that's just stupid. I have a great console-like experience launching Steam BP from Kodi to play excellent couch games like GTA V, Assassin's Creed, Trine etc, all streaming from my high powered PC over the network.
This is pretty much me. Now if I could just make Windows as near zero-maintenance as a console I would be so happy. :yep2:

This is pretty much me. Now if I could just make Windows as near zero-maintenance as a console I would be so happy. :yep2:

What is there to maintain on windows? As far as gaming is concerned everything is auto update these days. Windows, steam, gpu driver.

For me windows would already be perfect if i could just have my pc automatically switch to the tv as the primary display when launching certain games/software. Now im stuck using crtl+p.

I think on w10 the x button is mapped to the xbox app. Apperantly it is possible to assign it to something else through the app though I didn't try as I quickly reverted back to w7.

Interesting, after some fiddling around with it I've got it to work like you say, even better in fact as now, as long as Steam is running in the background (and I set it to launch when the PC starts so that is always the case) I can bring it to the foreground with one tap of the xbox guide button and then subsequently launch BP mode with another tap - or I can go straight to BP mode with a double tap. I can even skip the BP mode intro with a third tap - very nice!!

For those interested, all I did to make that work was open the game bat with Win+G and then untick the setting "open game bar using X on the controller".

For me windows would already be perfect if i could just have my pc automatically switch to the tv as the primary display when launching certain games/software. Now im stuck using crtl+p.

Can you not just clone the display so it's always outputting to both or do you run both screens at different resolutions?

Interesting, after some fiddling around with it I've got it to work like you say, even better in fact as now, as long as Steam is running in the background (and I set it to launch when the PC starts so that is always the case) I can bring it to the foreground with one tap of the xbox guide button and then subsequently launch BP mode with another tap - or I can go straight to BP mode with a double tap. I can even skip the BP mode intro with a third tap - very nice!!

For those interested, all I did to make that work was open the game bat with Win+G and then untick the setting "open game bar using X on the controller".

Can you not just clone the display so it's always outputting to both or do you run both screens at different resolutions?

Both screens are different resolutions. In the same room as well so that is annoying too.

But a little bit of googling saved the day. I just bought controller companion on Steam (looks like they got a standalone versions as well) for 2 bucks and its the most amazing piece of software ever. Basically it allows you to use your controller as a mouse when not in-game or in BP mode. You can also assign key bindings to it to perform tasks like switching monitors. So now I can switch monitors and launch to BP just from the controller.

Now the downside of all this is that I'll have to spend another 100 bucks on a xbox one controller and wireless adapter (thank God for MS dropping the retarded W10 only requirement for the wireless adapter).

Both screens are different resolutions. In the same room as well so that is annoying too.

I know the feeling, I had that problem before I upgraded my TV to full HD. Now both screen are running 1080p but I'm guessing your monitor is higher. No doubt I'll have the same issue when I upgrade mine.

But a little bit of googling saved the day. I just bought controller companion on Steam (looks like they got a standalone versions as well) for 2 bucks and its the most amazing piece of software ever. Basically it allows you to use your controller as a mouse when not in-game or in BP mode. You can also assign key bindings to it to perform tasks like switching monitors. So now I can switch monitors and launch to BP just from the controller.

Sounds perfect. It's £1.33 here so I'm really tempted to get it myself.

Perhaps Windows 10 is an answer to that.

Windows 7 : you want the updates to happen (for security) but eventually Windows Update gets stuck and you have to help it "think" or download a script called WUReset.bat to turn it off and on (I've done it quite a few times.)

Windows 10 : you don't want updates that bring unwanted "features" or driver regressions, but you get them anyway.
Still bad, but if Windows Update doesn't get stuck (I don't know) it is a bit more like a console :)

What is there to maintain on windows? As far as gaming is concerned everything is auto update these days. Windows, steam, gpu driver.

Perhaps Windows 10 is an answer to that.

Windows 7 : you want the updates to happen (for security) but eventually Windows Update gets stuck and you have to help it "think" or download a script called WUReset.bat to turn it off and on (I've done it quite a few times.)

Windows 10 : you don't want updates that bring unwanted "features" or driver regressions, but you get them anyway.
Still bad, but if Windows Update doesn't get stuck (I don't know) it is a bit more like a console :)

This. Windows is better than it used to be in terms of self maintenance and rebooting and you can obviously setup Windows and Kodi/Steam to auto-start and login but every so often they'll be some user intervention, the occasional Windows update or AVG (anti-virus software) and generally I don't want driver updates installed immediately, definitely not graphics driver updates - I prefer to wait a week to see whether there are any unfortunate bugs.

I still feel I need to 'manage' my Windows systems. But it's close. So, so close.

Been using Big Picture every now and then on the big screen, and I would say it has earned it's placed to remained plugged up; Not because of a "console like experience", rather to me, Big Picture is more akin to the philosophy of Laptop gaming, serviceable to scratch the itch of a PC like experience in a very clunky manner.

-Peanutbutteronpickles

I think its fine. Since I bought the controller app during the last steam sale I'm now always booting into BPM after switching from my monitor to tv using the controller. Works great for me. Than again all I need is a controller supported launcher for my games.

Back