Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acording to history, whenever a rumor says the next nintendo console is gonna be some powerhouse, you can take it for false.

Acording to history, whenever a rumor says the next nintendo console is gonna be some powerhouse, you can take it for false.

Nintendo states...
powerhouse-gym.gif

...in reality what you get.
wimpy.-King-Features1.jpg

More rumours. This one sounds true.

According to Nintendo Enthusiast sources, the Nintendo NX will be as powerful as the Xbox One, and new details will arrive in January.

If this fresh claim is correct, we will be looking at one seriously powerful Nintendo console with the NX.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/...s-at-ces-details-about-power-and-price-point/

Lol, I wouldn't call that "seriously powerful" in 2016. :p I also wouldn't be surprised if that rumour is true. It's pretty much what I expect Nintendo to go for. Knowing Nintendo, they really aren't going to go for crazy hardware, but at the same time, it wouldn't make any sense for them to go with hardware that's significantly weaker than the Xbox One. This level of hardware wasn't even high-end back in 2013, and should be doable now with Nintendo's constraints in mind.

What is their gimmick going to be this time?

The detachable console thing?

Isn't that kind of what the Wii U was?

So they're doubling down on that idea.

Hmm.

I want more motion control game with silly activity. Really miss Kinect Party and various activities in Wii Sports. But then with the coming of VR, I guess more and more silly activity with motion will come...

so... hmm. yeah, what gimmick will Nintendo use for NX... hmm...

I fear that the "gimmick" will be against counter productive for 3rth party support. A crazy "gamepad" like the wii ou wiiu (event NGC...) will not encourage multiplateform, even if the power is here this time. So once again they will be "us against the world", and be surprised than it's not selling enough and no one is supporting them.

it would be really sad to see nintendo make the same mistake twice, they insist on making a profit on all their hardware right out the gate and its just no longer possible in the industry.

it would be really sad to see nintendo make the same mistake twice, they insist on making a profit on all their hardware right out the gate and its just no longer possible in the industry.
Sony were making a small profit out of the gate on PS4 weren't they? For this generation at least, neither MS or Sony were prepared/able to subsidize large losses on their console hardware.

So you'd think the silicon would cost Nintendo less, especially if they don't bother with an optical drive.

But the special controller may cost.

Sony were making a small profit out of the gate on PS4 weren't they? For this generation at least, neither MS or Sony were prepared/able to subsidize large losses on their console hardware.

The smart money was them losing approximately $60 per unit at launch - based on the cost of the unit, packaging, shipping, distribution and retailer's cut.

But that would have been short-lived. Sony must be very good cost reducing hardware production by now and in May 2014 (six months after released) Kaz Hirai said the PS4 was "already" profitable which suggests it wasn't at launch. At best they were breaking even.

I have a feeling Nintendo are really going to surprise a lot of people with how powerful NX is. Wii and WiiU were a radical departure for a company which at one time set the benchmark in terms of hardware power. I believe that the 'new concept' that NX will offer is the same games played over both devices (think Smash Bros for 3DS / WiiU for every major first party NX game) and they also know for a fact that launching a tiny increase in power over XB1 and PS4 in late 2016 is going to get them nowhere as WiiU showed in late 2012 when put up against PS3 and 360.

My guess for the specs -

'NX Portable' / Spring 2016 / $199.99 -

540p Main Screen.
ARM Dual Core CPU @ 1GHz.
750 GFLOP GPU.
4GB's of DDR3 RAM.

'NX Home' / November 2016 / $399.99 -

AMD APU -
AMD x86 8 Core CPU @ 2GHz.
3 TFLOP Custom GPU.
16GB's of GDDR5 RAM.

The console will be roughly a ~4x increase in specs over the handheld. Some may scoff at the console specs but I believe this is the foundation for the future decade of the company so they specs must be more adequate to the degree where PS5 and XBOX 4 down ports will be possible in 2020.

If you buy the game for one you automatically qualify for a 50% discount on the other version to encourage people to double dip on hardware and software. They will want NX to be the gaming equivalent to iOS / iphone / ipad.

It's almost 2016, we shall see soon enough :).

I have a feeling Nintendo are really going to surprise a lot of people with how powerful NX is. Wii and WiiU were a radical departure for a company which at one time set the benchmark in terms of hardware power.
What time? The only time I think they were ever really out front was N64 vs PS. Their other consoles were eclipsed by high-end, expensive machines, and it was being cheap and cheerful that won Nintendo's success. Nintendo is on record as claiming a corporate philosophy of 'repurposing old, cheap tech'. So yeah, we'd be very surprised. ;)

More rumours. This one sounds true.

According to Nintendo Enthusiast sources, the Nintendo NX will be as powerful as the Xbox One, and new details will arrive in January.

If this fresh claim is correct, we will be looking at one seriously powerful Nintendo console with the NX.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/...s-at-ces-details-about-power-and-price-point/

Pretty safe 'rumour' again, imo. I think meeting the spec of XOne is the very least Nintendo needs to achieve. Sounds perfectly plausible to me that they will aim to achieve that but through more modern/efficient hardware choices.

The theory I'm running with at the moment is that they are aiming to make NX ≥ XOne just as WiiU ≥ X360 - ie Although on paper WiiU has less horsepower than X360 (in the traditional FLOP measuring sense), in reality it can match/outperfom it in most areas. I expect NX to have the same relationship to XOne.

One particular 'modern' tweak I'd love to see is HBM, but I can't see 2016 Nintendo being that adventurous.

Last edited:
What time? The only time I think they were ever really out front was N64 vs PS. Their other consoles were eclipsed by high-end, expensive machines, and it was being cheap and cheerful that won Nintendo's success. Nintendo is on record as claiming a corporate philosophy of 'repurposing old, cheap tech'. So yeah, we'd be very surprised. ;)

Gamecube was still in the mix, power wise (Rogue Leader, some Resident Evil, etc). But the pad and the small disc were tricky for cross plateform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back