Possibly some a Dreamcast revival?

Sega tried all kinds of pad designs, but intentionally opted for a pad with minimal buttons and sticks because their research showed that the mass market they hoped to break through to found pads bristling with inputs intimidating.

Wrong call Imo, the pad was not best suited to anything in particular, and wasn't ideal for folks with big hands. But at least they were trying to achieve something, even if they were unsuccessful.

Pad design and VMU capacity (a measly 128kB for the worlds first "online" console) were the only two areas where they dropped the ball on an otherwise truly remarkable device.

How did DC handle 3D camera movement? In an FPS with movement on left stick, how did you look around?

Typically a game would have look mapped to the stick, and digital movement on the 'cross' arranged a b, x y buttons. D-pad was for menu selection.

'Southpaw' in other words.

Due to the limited buttons and spacing of the buttons (ideal as buttons, not ideal as virtual d-pad / thumb WASD) even when you got used to it the DC pad never felt and more than passable for fps.

Dualshock and Duke / Controller S were massively better for FPS, no matter how much time you spent with the DC pad.

Nope, you were using your Dreamcast controller wrong. In the case of right handers, you're suppose to pivot the controller with your left thumb/middle/index fingers acting as the base while pulling in your left wrist which will expose a very wide angle for your right hand to get in on some button action. One of my favorite controllers, especially for fighters.

I'll be in for some South Park: Chef's Luv Shack.
No. I said nothing about having issues with using the controller. My issue is playing shooters with only one analog stick. It forced you to use the face buttons on the right side to look up and down in fps games.

If I could find a broadband adapter for less than ££€€$$STUPID I'd get mine back online and find some folks to play PSO and Quake 3 with.

Four player split screen Q3 was boss tits, even with the DCs pads.

Isn't that the same scheme used by the much beloved Golden Eye?
The game was great. It was probably the best FPS console game available. Why wouldnt people love a great game despite the horrendous N64 controller (minus the existence of the analog controller for the first time on a console). There wasnt much to compare with at the time in terms of control schemes, despite that it was a pain in the ass. Goldeneye was developed around the controller and had an assist which made aiming a lot easier.

The fact that so many 3D games were enjoyed on the Saturn or PS1 using simply the D-Pad doesnt make the D-Pad as good as dual analog sticks for 3D games either by today's standards.

The DC controller came in an age were people have experienced the effectiveness of the industry standard dual sticks.

Dreamcast 2 related. It is not something from Sega, but some people trying to help in one way or another Sega enter the business. Check it while it lasts because I dont see that coming to fruition and at the end this website wont even exist

Am I missing something, or isn't it just an online petition with a random wishlist? seems insanely optimistic and naive to me....

Dreamcast 2 related. It is not something from Sega, but some people trying to help in one way or another Sega enter the business.
Why? What would Sega bring? There's plenty good enough hardware to run their software, which by and large isn't that great any more as I understand it*. Nostalgic people wanting to relive the experience of past machines will fail. That time is gone. Like there's no point trying to resurrect a new Amiga personal computer because the needs of computing are satisfied, there's no point in another console that does the same as the existing options other than a sentimental attachment to a brand because it what it meant many years ago.

It reminds me of those story villains set to conquor the world/universe, like the Darleks. If they think through their intentions, what'll happen when they win and are the only surviving beings in the universe? What then? They'll sit around bored. If they realised the pointlessness of their objective, they could reevaluate and find better ways to spend their time. Likewise, Sega fans wanting to ressurect a Sega console would do well to evaluate what they liked about the old machines (the games) and pursue that experience (playing games). If the software is lacking, a new Sega machine won't solve that.

Perhaps they'd do better to try and create a software company dedicated to remaking Sega's most beloved titles?

* Okay, recent metascores are decent but no obvious killer titles to my eyes. I was remembering the 2013 Sega and high profile, poor reviews.

Yep.

All the stuff the made the DC unique at the time is now part of "gaming DNA" in general. Just because a console shared the same name wouldn't mean it would bring anything new.

There's always room for something new to make a niche for itself, and a carefully nurtured niche can support a gaming ecosystem that would struggle to flourish elsewhere (e.g. SNK's decade+ of technical 2D fighting games). But just because you slap "Dreamcast" on something doesn't mean that it'll be special.

Why? What would Sega bring? There's plenty good enough hardware to run their software, which by and large isn't that great any more as I understand it*. Nostalgic people wanting to relive the experience of past machines will fail. That time is gone. Like there's no point trying to resurrect a new Amiga personal computer because the needs of computing are satisfied, there's no point in another console that does the same as the existing options other than a sentimental attachment to a brand because it what it meant many years ago.

It reminds me of those story villains set to conquor the world/universe, like the Darleks. If they think through their intentions, what'll happen when they win and are the only surviving beings in the universe? What then? They'll sit around bored. If they realised the pointlessness of their objective, they could reevaluate and find better ways to spend their time. Likewise, Sega fans wanting to ressurect a Sega console would do well to evaluate what they liked about the old machines (the games) and pursue that experience (playing games). If the software is lacking, a new Sega machine won't solve that.

Perhaps they'd do better to try and create a software company dedicated to remaking Sega's most beloved titles?

* Okay, recent metascores are decent but no obvious killer titles to my eyes. I was remembering the 2013 Sega and high profile, poor reviews.
Yes there is not much point in it. Although in one of the websites (bored to find a link now) I read about them they imagine an affordable PC console made out of PC parts able to play all DC games plus PC games. An affordable PC rig if you like that is produced by Sega instead of Valve or Alienware.
Seems like a more grounded proposal if this is true. They claim that there is not enough competition in the PC rig space.

I personally dreamed of Sega joining Sony to provide a Sega platform within the Playstation Platform.

Sega America and Sony America wanted to work together to create a CD based gaming platform in the early nineties. Came about because of their work on Mega CD.

Sega Japan said they didn't need Sony.

Sega America and Sony America wanted to work together to create a CD based gaming platform in the early nineties. Came about because of their work on Mega CD.

Sega Japan said they didn't need Sony.
Off topic, but if the deal was anything like the famous Sony/Nintendo deal it was probably better Sega did it themselves.
Even though the Sega CD was a failure.

Back