Star Wars: The Rise of Spoilers and Speculation

No I posted something and then wanted to delete it but I can't. I agree with what you posted but misread it at first.

Great acting, great directing by JJ but not really not liking Kasdan's very derivative writing. Wouldn't be surprised if Rey and Kylo are siblings like the leak said they were, even though the May 2015 conglomerated leak was only 90% correct and was incorrect about a republic capital ship getting obliterated by the planet beam in an extended space battle.

Multiple republican capital ships where destroyed when the first beam weapon destroyed that planet. At least one directly by the beam itself and then a whole load more when the planet exploded.

What leak is this btw?

I feel I am in the minority here, but I didn't like it. And I was excited (especially due to the good reviews and high praises), but definitely not overhyped.
My major gripe is that it was too much shooting and explosions and not enough character development. Also, the writing and dialogues felt somewhat cliched and tired. (I mean come ON! Destroying the death star for the third time?! Did they really have to fucking rehash the story... ) The old actors seemed (to me) like they were kind of phoning it in, as well.
I did like the new actors, however. Both the casting and their acting seemed good. The special effects were cool as well (ILM still have it, it seems :)). And the action sequences were, for the most part, made well, too.

Specifically the Kylo Ren character, however, was especially bad. His motivation - he follows in Vader's footsteps. But even Vader came back to the light side at the end of Ep. VI. Or are they planning on retconning this? His mother is the leader of the Rebels and his uncle is the last of the Jedi. Why not follow in their steps instead? Also, when I heard Snout talking about the Ren riders I almost heard "Huzzah!" (like spoken from a true Knight of the Thorn :D), especially considering how shitty his sword work seemed later on. Combined with the actor who played him, he really seems like a very non-threatening villain. And a big part of this are his interactions with Ray.

May be my memory is failing me, but I never recall being mentioned that light-sabre fighting is some innate ability of force sensitive people or that raw potential can overcome training. Actually in previous movies - Vader wiped the floor with Luke in Ep. V and arguably the most powerful force user ever (Anakin) lost to Obi-Wan in Ep. III, despite having trained for some 15 years at the time. And Kylo lost to Ray, who we've only seen fighting two unarmed thugs using a stick-like weapon? He is training for more than a decade and she found out she is force sensitive that very same day. I mean does she even need Luke - at this rate, in a week she will probably be farting out galaxies. Or, alternatively, Kylo is the shittiest force user who ever lived. And let's not forget - he also lost when instead of him reading her mind, she read his. In the force pull battle for Luke's sabre, Kylo lost again to Ray... Are they cray-cray? I know that JJ tried to cop out at the end with Snout saying that he needs to finish his training, but let's get real here - if he didn't learn the stuff in 15 years, it's doubtful he will do it in a couple of months.
In order to show us how unique and wonderful Ray is, JJ (or whoever wrote this) made Kylo seem pathetically weak. Compare that to Vader who seemed like a fucking juggernaut for most of the OT.

I won't even mention the cartoonish bad guys, the depressed R2D2, and some other stuff.

Now don't get me wrong - on its own I would have probably liked it better, but in light of the Star Wars franchise, where we've seen practically the same story told better, it just fell flat IMO. If it had more of its own story, with less action sequences and more fleshed out characters, it could have worked much better for me. As it stands, I am left hoping that the next episode will be just that, but I will not be going to the cinema to see it, that's for sure.

tl;dr not worth it - wait for the dvd/bluray

Just one comment: Obi Wan won the fight against Anakin, as he was the best saber fighter.

This gets clear when one reads the book, but wasn't topic of the movie....(also the reason he beat General grievous!)

Watched it yesterday.
It should have been named "Star Wars: The Next Generation" or "Star Wars: The Newest Hope".
The next ones shall be "The First Order Strikes Back" and then "Return of the Jedi, Again".
Yeah there's no denying it's essentially like JJ's Star Trek movies.

It would have been interesting to see something really different. I have a feeling that people want to see Rebels vs the Empire (plus magic) when they see Star Wars though. Going to something wild like, say, the Yuuzhan Vong is surely not what the powers that be wanted.

Last edited:
Just one comment: Obi Wan won the fight against Anakin, as he was the best saber fighter.

This gets clear when one reads the book, but wasn't topic of the movie....(also the reason he beat General grievous!)
Well okay, but apparently now it is considered perfectly fine that an untrained Jay (to the point where she thought Jedis were but a myth, just a day ago) could defeat Kylo, because she is very attuned to the Force. And as far as I am aware, in the canon no one has been stronger in the Force than Anakin, so there you go.

Well okay, but apparently now it is considered perfectly fine that an untrained Jay (to the point where she thought Jedis were but a myth, just a day ago) could defeat Kylo, because she is very attuned to the Force. And as far as I am aware, in the canon no one has been stronger in the Force than Anakin, so there you go.
I guess we will just have to wait and see what Rey's mysterious background is. Maybe she isn't untrained but is memory wiped? Who knows. Could be anything.

To me it was immediately obvious that Kylo had been significantly weakened by the crossbow blast. I thought they went out of their way to show that. He was then further weakened by Finn's lucky hit on him with the lightsaber.

I didn't really find any problem with Rey (only just) beating him under those circumstances considering she's clearly very strong (albeit untrained) with the force and already skilled in armed combat.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what Rey's mysterious background is. Maybe she isn't untrained but is memory wiped? Who knows. Could be anything.
Oh, yeah. About that - I am pretty sure that she will turn out to be one of the Jedi kids Luke used to train (and most probably Luke's kid or something). But still she is shown to be just a small kid at the time she is left. Like 5-year old tops. How much training could she have gotten by that point?

To me it was immediately obvious that Kylo had been significantly weakened by the crossbow blast. I thought they went out of their way to show that. He was then further weakened by Finn's lucky hit on him with the lightsaber.

I didn't really find any problem with Rey (only just) beating him under those circumstances considering she's clearly very strong (albeit untrained) with the force and already skilled in armed combat.
Well, not really. She definitely isn't trained with any sword-like weapon but rather with something resembling a stick. The difference is rather pronounced, wouldn't you say? And even so, I don't have the movie here to recheck, but are we really shown such an unbelievable prowess even with the stick? I mean we are shown her fighting some goons, but she seemed to have some problems fighting even them off. The Sith and Jedi at age 20+ are supposedly some of the best fighters in the Galaxy, so even wounded I would expect them to be able to defeat an untrained opponent when using their weapon of choice.

Oh, yeah. About that - I am pretty sure that she will turn out to be one of the Jedi kids Luke used to train (and most probably Luke's kid or something). But still she is shown to be just a small kid at the time she is left. Like 5-year old tops. How much training could she have gotten by that point?

Well, not really. She definitely isn't trained with any sword-like weapon but rather with something resembling a stick. The difference is rather pronounced, wouldn't you say? And even so, I don't have the movie here to recheck, but are we really shown such an unbelievable prowess even with the stick? I mean we are shown her fighting some goons, but she seemed to have some problems fighting even them off. The Sith and Jedi at age 20+ are supposedly some of the best fighters in the Galaxy, so even wounded I would expect them to be able to defeat an untrained opponent when using their weapon of choice.

They shouldn't even have to use their weapon—Force-throwing Rey against a tree should have done it.

And the suggestion too is that Luke trained Kylo. And Kylo having killed his father could have solved his inner conflict too. The only way out here I can see is that Kylo's body will actually be taken by Snoke for himself, and that this is the true completion of his training. Killing his father was meant for him to be able to subdue him, and he didn't actually want the strongest of Jedi spirits in there with him. This would be better than an alternative where Kylo remains intact but falls in love with aren't or some such nonsense, which would lead to tiresome cliches (just as the nazi echoes were to me). And I agree that the story was far too similar to the old one up to the point where the climax was clearly finding Luke rather than winning the battle, and that didn't really go anywhere.

I think even my 7yo son was a little bored with the plot (honestly!), but he came out of the theatre pretty psyched nonetheless and had a great time. It was special for me above all for that reason - I had seen Return of the Jedi in the cinema with my own father as a kid.

I think Finn is intended as a new Han Solo type character. Capable of great things by means of will and luck more than anything else.

I really liked the movie. It was rather ultimate fan service putting the best moments from episodes 4-6 into a pretty and well paced package. Possibly the best star wars movie ever. IMAX 3d was also spectacularly amazing on visual quality. Force awakens was not new or unique by any measure but after what was episodes 1-3 it feels really great.

I really hope episode VIII will be braver take and start to create new path. Possibly a slower paced episode building more on characters and plot. If they keep recycling that would be plunder akin to what is called or forgotten as episode 1. Force awakens is a good base to build on for couple of more movies.

Here we see at 4:40
Kasdan was really vocal in mentoring/advising JJ (which JJ was greatful for) that things don't need to be explained and was constantly advising JJ to cut things that take too much time to explain.

Original cut was had over 20 minutes of additional footage. Sounds like lots of DVD/Blu-Ray sales for Disney!.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awkens-deleted-scenes/

They flesh out the story the setting and the backgrounds of the characters more.

Here is one example of cut material:

General Leia and the New Republic
In the film, General Leia’s appearance is saved for late in the film. Leia first shows up as Han, Chewie and Finn outside Maz’s castle following the First Order attack. But originally she appeared much earlier in the film. Her appearance set up the Galactic senate, with Leia having a conversation with Korr Sella (played by Maisie Richardson-Sellers), the dark-haired woman who is featured in the balcony scene when Starkiller base blows up Hosinian Prime. The Visual Dictionary features the above screenshot (right) of Korr, which appears to be a shot from this sequence in the movie. The book also explains that Leia, with a reputation twisted by corrupt politicians, relies on the young envoy to “make her case for the Senate to take direct action against the First Order.” While I don’t know the exact extent of what was filmed, the scene is described in the novelization as follows:

As usual, Leia did not waste time on small talk: “You need to go to the Senate right away. Tell them I insist that they take action against the First Order. The longer they bicker and delay, the stronger the Order becomes.” She leaned toward the other woman. “If they fail to take action soon, the Order will have grown so strong the Senate will be unable to do anything. It won’t matter what they think.” Sella indicated her understanding. “With all respect: Do you think the senators will listen?” “I don’t know.” Leia bit down on her lower lip. “So much time has passed. There was a time when they were at least willing to listen. And of course, the Senate’s makeup has changed. Some of those who were always willing to pay attention to me have retired. Some of those who have replaced them have their own agendas.” She smiled ruefully. “Not all senators think I’m crazy. Or maybe they do. I don’t care what they think about me as long as they take action.” The emissary nodded. “I’ll do all I can to ensure the Resistance gets the hearing we deserve. But why don’t you go yourself, General? An appeal of this nature is always more effective when delivered firsthand.” Leia’s smile thinned. “I might make it to the Senate, yes. I might even be able to deliver my speech. But I would never, never get out of the Hosnian system alive. I would have a terrible ‘accident,’ or become the victim of some ‘deranged’ radical. Or I would eat something that didn’t agree with me. Or encounter someone who didn’t agree with me.” She composed herself. “I have total confidence in you, Sella. I know you will deliver our message to the full extent of your considerable abilities.” The emissary smiled back, grateful for the confidence the general was expressing.”

Last edited:
Star Wars Episode IV : second take.

Felt like watching the old movie again, but without the magic, and a bad story, better than prequels, but not good yet.

Back