Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoolander-Magnum.png

until he converted everybody.

That remains to be seen. The Digital Foundry article has not been updated yet and Avalanche has not yet fixed the GI bugs in the PC version (flickering caused by GI) and PS4 version (GI mostly missing and only randomly appearing/disappearing on certain (parts of) objects).

Heck, who knows if Avalanche is even aware of those bugs. The Digital Foundry article certainly did not help in that regard, since they neither went into detail regarding the PC bug nor did they mention the bug in the PS4 version at all (instead they pretty much even claimed there would be no bug).

This probably needs to be escalated to Avalanche directly.

But how?

Digital Foundry might be a good way, but, hey, @grandmaster did not even bother to reply yet.

Don't assume Grandmaster sees notifications. He hasn't posted here in years. Try contacting him directly through the Digital Foundry pages. There's a Twitter address for one thing.

That remains to be seen. The Digital Foundry article has not been updated yet and Avalanche has not yet fixed the GI bugs in the PC version (flickering caused by GI) and PS4 version (GI mostly missing and only randomly appearing/disappearing on certain (parts of) objects).

Heck, who knows if Avalanche is even aware of those bugs. The Digital Foundry article certainly did not help in that regard, since they neither went into detail regarding the PC bug nor did they mention the bug in the PS4 version at all (instead they pretty much even claimed there would be no bug).

This probably needs to be escalated to Avalanche directly.

But how?

Digital Foundry might be a good way, but, hey, @grandmaster did not even bother to reply yet.

NX did pick this up in his performance look at the PS4 version within the 1st minute of the video.

Sadly he never did a head 2 head, maybe we should ask him to do it?

Nearly 10 minutes? Of loading times? Did I really understand that right?

Regarding the texture issue on the road on the one minute mark. It looks like they designed that area without the road and then added a layer of the road on top. Moving the camera makes the surface of the road and the other cross each other. It's literally one surface passing through the other

Regarding the texture issue on the road on the one minute mark. It looks like they designed that area without the road and then added a layer of the road on top. Moving the camera makes the surface of the road and the other cross each other. It's literally one surface passing through the other
No it is the 40 second mark he circles the flickering textures and says "across the world they flicker". The texture he shows is just small bugs in the game, (co-ordinate, view errors).

No it is the 40 second mark he circles the flickering textures and says "across the world they flicker". The texture he shows is just small bugs in the game, (co-ordinate, view errors).
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. :p
I am not talking about the texture flickering (which is probably the GI flickering)

Not that I'm an expert in society, but I do have it on good authority that you monkeighs tend to have holidays at about this time of year.

user542745830?
Professor Layton and the strange case of userπ

NEXT UPDATE:

I found another video which compares all three versions and also shows the Global Illumination bug of the PS4 version.

At around 00:55 min, the video is showing the scene where Rico is standing in front of the blue helicopter.

If you look at the front of the helicopter, you can see that there is Global Illumination in the PC and Xbox One version, since the blue front of the helicopter is being lit by the Global Illumination.

However, when the PS4 version is being shown, the Global Illumination is randomly appearing and disappearing (look at the front of the helicopter where the lamp of the helicopter is):

It might be worth noting though, that the Global Illumination in the PS4 version never ever seems to appear on Rico himself. His trouser, his arms, his weapons, they never seem to be lit by the Global Illumination in the PS4 version. Only on other objects throughout the gameworld the Global Illumination seems to randomly appear (and disappear).
It looks like a bug to me, I don't think they are doing that on the PS4 version 'cos of performance purposes. A case for DF to study, or Hercule Poirot while touching his own moustache with his fingers, his typical pose.

I have Just Cause 3 on PS4 and have literally played it only for an hour where I just got distracted by tethering things to other things but I'll be playing it once I've completed the main story in Fallout 4 (sorry tangent, lol) but they addressed they did address the loading times in patch 1.02. There was a DF article on it.

No it is the 40 second mark he circles the flickering textures and says "across the world they flicker".

Yeah, that definitely is the same PS4 Global Illumination appearing/disappearing bug that we have seen in the other videos as well.

Warhammer 40K ._.

Does it have Global Illumination?

Global Illuminati! That's it!!!

Some more:

https://twitter.com/GI_FTW/status/680035761983459328
https://twitter.com/GI_FTW/status/680036595559493633

GImage2.png

The Digital Foundry Twitter account does not seem to be active either, so not even bothering...

Change of mind:

https://twitter.com/GI_FTW/status/680038381708021760

GImage3.png

Wow, that's comprehensive. :LOL:

And we don't really know for sure the details about the 7th door core on PS4. Maybe a part of it have already being unlocked recently or will be soon and maybe the whole core is already available only for 1st party or both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back