Vulkan/OpenGL Next Generation Initiative: unified API for mobile and non-mobile devices.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Now you may claim that this has nothing to do with opengl. Microsoft just happens to make a superior ide that offers great support for directx apps. I'll admit there's some truth to that, but it's kind of awesome that with Visual Studio I can often profile an issue without even needing a physical device (the builtin virtualized images run great and are pretty accurate representations). No extra downloads, no extra integration of 3rd party software/drivers/images, no extra hassle. New changes to directx? You can expect great Visual Studio support day one. That is what I want from iOS and Android. Perhaps the same level of integration could be achieved with opengl/vulkan, but it would seem other platform holders are struggling to achieve Microsoft's level of integration.
Yes, it would seem that Microsoft is ahead in these things. But I don't think Google taking control of the graphics API would solve that problem. Granted, doing it would be a clear statement of intent which would most likely be accompanied by increased effort put into API infrastructure. However, nothing really prevents them from doing the latter without the former. Comparing Apple to Microsoft, and OpenGL ES to Metal, it seems doubtful that there's a strong correlation between control over the API and quality of developer tools.

I'll give you it's more work for Google, but they have the talent and resources to make that a nonissue.
It's a myth that if a company is just big enough they could achieve anything by just throwing resources at it.

In any case, we'll never find out.

I guess that will depend a lot on the state of driver support for Vulkan. Let's hope it's good enough.

I guess that will depend a lot on the state of driver support for Vulkan. Let's hope it's good enough.
More propaganda to diminish Windows and glorify SteamOS from our Mighty lord and savior Gaben with his holy Steam OS which is one of his might endeavors to counter MS from eventually creating a viable competitor to Steam.

Everyone and their grandma would like a viable alternative to Windows/DX, but linux or SteamOS and Vulkan are definitely not that. Not many AAA games past present or future will support Steam OS or Linux.

Valve’s Dan Ginsburg: “Not much reason to ever create a DX12 back end for your game”, Praises Vulkan
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/valve...a-dx12-back-end-for-your-game-praises-vulkan/
Both consoles still use HLSL based shader languages. In order to get more widespread Vulkan adaptation (for cross platform games), we need HLSL->SPIR-V compiler (with full 12_0 feature set). It is pain to port and maintain both HLSL and GLSL versions of the same shaders, especially complex compute shaders (such as modern tiled lighting).

If the shader language problem gets solved, and if Vulkan drivers turn out to be higher quality than their OpenGL counterparts, and if Vulkan GPU debugging tools match the new Visual Studio 2015 GPU debugging tools, then DX12 is going to have hard time on PC. All of these three things could/should? eventually become true. Let's revisit this topic one year from now.

Unless you are aggressive enough to be shipping a DX12 game this year, I would argue that there is really not much reason to ever create a DX12 back end for your game.

Half Life 3 DOUBLE CONFIRMED that it's not releasing this year :(

From the vulkan page from khronos website.

Vulkan Working Group Update - December 18th 2015
We have some good news and some bad news. The year-end target release date for Vulkan will not be met. However, we are in the home stretch and the release of Vulkan 1.0 is imminent!

Here is a more detailed update...

The Vulkan specification is complete and undergoing legal review and final polishing. The Vulkan conformance tests are being finalized and multiple member companies are preparing drivers for release. Implementation feedback is the vital final stage of making any Khronos specification ready for primetime, and the Vulkan 1.0 specification will be published when the first conformant implementations are confirmed.

Work is also progressing to complete Vulkan SDKs for Windows, Android and Linux. Google has upgraded to Promoter membership and is now on the Khronos Board to help steer Vulkan strategy for Android and the wider industry.

There is considerable energy driving the work to bring you Vulkan. We are planning Vulkan sessions and demos at key industry events throughout the year. We are excited about the emerging Vulkan ecosystem that will create new business opportunities for the graphics and compute industry.

Vulkan will set the foundation for graphics and compute APIs for years to come and so Khronos is taking the time needed to do this right – and the Vulkan 1.0 release is near!

The Khronos Vulkan Working Group

If Google is serious about it, Vulkan could become a very real competitor to DX12. That would be great for the industry.

I'm more curious about Valve and linux support... since Vulkan drivers would be alot thinner than traditional GL I also wonder if this is gonna be a boon to opensource drivers.

I'm going to guess the OEMs are whimpering about being prodded to upgrade to the current version of Android. Google gets tired of their complaining so they allow the OEMs to run old versions of Android. There's even some manufacturers that still sell Android 4.0 versions.

A lot of OEMs on Android are like childish kids on fulling the phone with tons of craps settings and "personalization", even on the driver side. Stupid company politics I guess, the world is full of that...
And of course OEM and ISP do not want Google to direct release OS&driver updates...
I get all that, but what does it have to do with Vulkan? Can't google support it in Android easy enough? I didn't think something so fundamental as the rendering API was subject to OEM shenanigans. I thought that was reserved to crapware and UI "improvements".

Back