Why are there interlacing artifacts in Wii progresive games?

stranno

Newcomer
I'm not talking about badly deinterlaced games or interlaced games, i'm talking about progresive games that have some lines in effects, like dust or smoke. Its widely present on Wii games and i'm not sure what is the advantage of using this.

Its present on cheap games and good games like de Blob.

Duh me! To my defence, Wii is all but dead in the general gaming psyche. Plus Nintendo's silly naming. :p

Dithering was very much an issue on Wii. Dunno about interlacing type lines though.

I'm talking about this.

Check closely every smoke effect while the character is moving. Its a game with native progressive support. I dont think its a color depth problem, it just look like its interlaced even on progressive and only in some effects. I just dont understand the advantage.

Its more clear in special moves (55:39-40).

1gsLGow.jpg

It could be some kind of strange line dithering..

hum.... Yeah, that shouldn't be the precision/banding issue. Could be something to do with how they handled video out at the time (Gamecube). Legacy crap.

:p

Last edited:
hum.... Yeah, that shouldn't be the precision/banding issue. Could be something to do with how they handled video out at the time (Gamecube). Legacy crap.

Lazy Hardware Devs?

Yep. Pal gamecube games and even some cross gen GC/Wii games are definitely badly scaled internally in a 'analog' way on Wii, not digitally. Even regular Wii games even using components cables have not a very good image quality, IMO, they are kind of blurry. Gamecube games were even more blurry than Wii games (compared to PS2 or DC games).

You guys should have seen how poorly they handled Nes innards -> RGB output on Pal NES units... a true abomination.

It's a Nintendo tradition. :yep2:

Looks like maybe a flicker filter being "undone" by stretching back out to create a progressive image?

Latte to the thread. :(

Back