Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

That proc gen video seems a little disingenuous. The very nice looking craggy landscape surrounding the base seems to stop there. It transitions quickly into a fairly ordinary hightmap and the planet itself isn't show in full from space. Battlescape's doing a much better job atmospheric worlds so far.

These things can come along quickly though. Guess that's one of the up sides of procedural stuff. Streaming of all those base assets seems to be working really smoothly though.

This is correct. It is important that they embedding the POI maps into the procedural landscape in a way that they will not be noticed that easily. This is true for the video. One could see well where the POI map ends and the procedural planet began as the level of detail in the landscape considerably decreased. But that was a very first version of it. CIG actually thought that they will have the first procedural planet material two years after release.

This may be sound strange but Roberts said that they want Crysis quality planets.

But I do not see a technical problem here. On the procedurally planet they will place POI maps. As seen in the "From Pupil to Planet" video (the Nyx Landing Zone at the beginning). At first there will only be one or two such POI maps on each planet. And the more the planet is advanced, the more POI maps can be unlocked by CIG. So 12 months later Nyx could have then maybe 4 landing zones and two POI maps.

These maps can then - thank to the new 64bit coordinate tech- be very large and filled with POI maps including form of ruins, cities, wrecks etc. place in the usual quality. Thank to the Zone System.

The biggest and most expensive challenge will be the production of all these assets.

cant they also add procedural POI? so some POI is hand crafted, some other is procedural.

no man's sky's POI is all procedural right?

cant they also add procedural POI? so some POI is hand crafted, some other is procedural.

It's certainly doable, Elite's doing this already. POI's use objects that can embed in varying gradiants, like piller bunkers. Bases flatten out the surrounding area and are built up of various modules. Fidelity at ground level isn't as high as SC but they do have a different hardware target.

I think NMS has a different approach. As far as I can tell it fills a planet with a single ecosystem/environment set. The idea that all the fun of the planet is happening in front of you wherever you land.

I took advantage of the recent $35 special offer (or was taken advantage of!). At the moment I'm only interested in SQ42. Any luck that's out in a year!

Not blinding first impressions as it either gives connection errors or crashing completely. I'll try again over the weekend!

I can not say anything about NMS.

But CIG can generate specified procedurally planets. The Skyrim map was (so far I know) created in this way and then they finally refined by hand. For large POI, the surface could be prepared procedurally.

I think they will create the POI often like the current space stations under a fast construction principle with modular assets.

I took advantage of the recent $35 special offer (or was taken advantage of!). At the moment I'm only interested in SQ42. Any luck that's out in a year!

Welcome! Later they will separate Squadron 42 and Star Citizen for $40-60 each.

Chris Roberts plays

I wonder how he finished Demon Souls and The Last of Us. Dark Souls is his favorite game as far as I know.

In my opinion the chat window is not so bad. This is the first time I saw him a little upset.

I finally became backer, took advantage from $30 limited starter deal.

From day0 of SC announcement I was always interested mode in SP campaign. Hopefully they will make a good one. :)

Welcome too!

Alpha 2.0 sometimes crashes after 10 minutes and sometimes after 3 hours. The general average play time is about 45 minutes. They said that the PTU Alpha 2.1 will there maybe on friday.

"I've agonised a while about posting these here as I'm the author and not sure if this is within the rules or "breaking reddit" or not. I love SC and am an original backer. I've followed the game since the kickstarter and really wanted to put something more positive out there in the press and help people understand a bit more about software development in the real world.

I see other articles in relation to SC and regularly feel my blood boil at the amount of wrongness that gets reported in the press about SC these days. Couple that with detractors etc and some of the other discussions that have taken place here around articles (forbes etc) on the game and though I'd put mine up. It's an introduction to software development and the relevance of this to Star Citizen. I know the series is long, but hopefully some here will find it informative and/or useful.

Also happy to have constructive feedback, either in comments or PM."

Source: https://as.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xd9he/articles_about_star_citizen_and_software/

Teaching materials:
http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-ii/
http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-ii/
http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-iii/
http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-iv/
http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-2/

Very informative. Finally someone who understands something about software development. Unfortunately, you cannot say the same about a large part of the press.

The words you are looking for is 'it was a steaming clusterfuck' o_O

What do you exactly mean with this? His game session? Or him? ^^[/QUOTE]

There isn't a version at all of StarCitizen yet really, so you're good for now :)

@DieH@rd
The many short stories they have published were mostly very good.

Therefore my expectations for the story are high. Overall, other factors are more important to me.

I like that I can actually play something now, all though the generic dude running around is pretty funny. I have yet to try FPS, mostly just been playing around in space.

Yeah, I cannot wait until the Starfarer is ready. They said that the Starfarer could be Hangar ready in Januar. But because of ist size it will Need time to make it flight ready. The 90*50*20m Starfarer is about the size of a small multiplayer map with his three decks, 20-40 rooms etc.

Here are ship scale maps: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/28970/ship-size-comparison-ship-scale-3-0

One wIth the bigger ones up to 4km long:
J3I5IZk.jpg

That Retribution is about 3-4 km.
Cinematics_skydock_b.jpg

Very good looking armor at the start for people (I would say) who backed before 43 mio.
al2cHRG.jpg

On the shoulder pad the manufacturer is called "Clark Defense Systems"

"From the 43 million LftC: "Omni Role Combat Armor (ORC) mk9 Manufacturer: CDS (Clark Defense Systems) The ‘standard’ Marine armor for almost twenty years..."

I think the details on that armor will be very good since the very small mobiglas (watch) is looking like this right now.
upload_2016-1-14_13-27-58.png

(Armor/clothing in generell is still WIP)

this armor picture is from the late published December Monthly Studio Report
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15155-Monthly-Studio-Report

Non contact hardening shadows, for some reason that character seems to float on the ground to me.
Maybe the shadows aren't as dark as they should...

Non contact hardening shadows, for some reason that character seems to float on the ground to me.
Maybe the shadows aren't as dark as they should...

It's more than that. The plane where the feet are resting seems to be completely different from the angle of the floor.
It's almost like the character was 2D-pasted in the background.

Yeah I think they just added a game rendered background to the figure. Not really a big issue for showing off a suit of armor.

Back