AMD GPUOpen, open source (MIT) GameWorks alternative

Official launch today, Under 2 different categories: CGI and gaming, Professional compute .
New site for more infos: http://gpuopen.com/

Press release:

GPUOpen is composed of two areas: Games & CGI for game graphics and content creation (which is the area I am involved with), and Professional Compute for high-performance GPU computing in professional applications.
GPUOpen is based on three principles:

1. The first is to provide code and documentation allowing PC developers to exert more control on the GPU. Current and upcoming GCN architectures (such as Polaris) include many features not exposed today in PC graphics APIs, and GPUOpen aims to empower developers with ways to leverage some of those features. In addition to generating quality or performance advantages such access will also enable easier porting from current-generation consoles (XBox One™ and PlayStation 4) to the PC platform.
  2. The second is a commitment to open source software. The game and graphics development community is an active hub of enthusiastic individuals who believe in the value of sharing knowledge. Full and flexible access to the source of tools, libraries and effects is a key pillar of the GPUOpen philosophy. Only through open source access are developers able to modify, optimize, fix, port and learn from software. The goal? Encouraging innovation and the development of amazing graphics techniques and optimizations in PC games.
  3. The third is a collaborative engagement with the developer community. GPUOpen software is hosted on public source code repositories such as GitHub as a way to enable sharing and collaboration. Engineers from different functions will also regularly write blog posts about various GPU-related topics, game technologies or industry news.
By Developers, For Developers

A critical design goal was to have GPUOpen created by developers, for developers, keeping marketing elements to a minimum. The creation of the Radeon Technology Group led by Raja Koduri was key in turning GPUOpen into a reality and I am very excited that this project is now being launched.
Today is the birth of GPUOpen and like any newborn it has some growing to do. As we add new content over the next few months we will be listening to developers feedback and respond as needed.
It’s time to open up the GPU.

Last edited:
Happy to see the disinterment of Tootle ( :
And I am very pleased to see these fixes on GPUPerfStudio:

• Support for ID3D11Device2 and ID3D11Device3
  • Support for ID3D11DeviceContext2 and ID3D11DeviceContext3
  • Support for IDXGISwapChain_Present1.

Seems interesting to say the least. However, I'm just a business guy, can't even code printf(Hello, World) to save my life, so can't say with any authority but the code samples on the graphics (gaming, CGI) front seem to be very sparse. Barely half a dozen. Plus I see they've listed most of their stuff down as DirectX 11, I believe there's only 1 DX12 library on that page, you'd think as one of the biggest pushers of DX12 they'd be rapidly churning out code for DX12 and updating their own libraries too

Haven't had the chance to go through their Git but it seems more comprehensive, the guy who is blogging some of the stuff on their site has a lot of commits there.

Back