PS4 officially Jail Broken!

It's flash rather than NAND. The PS4 has three distinct banks of RAM: 8Gb GDDR5 (using Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 chips), 2Gb DDR3 (a Samsung K4B2G1646E-BCK0 chip), 256mb Flash (a Macronix MX25L25635FMI chip).
Flash and NAND are more or less the same, so in the instances where flash is vulnerable, NAND also is, I think.
@Cyan

x360 use eFuse that regularly get permanently exploded every system update.
That limit the number of updates a system can get, I suppose. Or is the fuse just disabled and can be enabled again later?

The fuses are physically broken when they are blown. Microsoft could have allocated enough entries that it would go beyond the expected lifetime of the console or the whole platform to exhaust them.

Flash and NAND are more or less the same, so in the instances where flash is vulnerable, NAND also is, I think.
You're right functionally it's the same and although there are different technologies at play, for all intents and purposes 'flash' and 'NAND' are interchangeable terms. I think the reason that iFixit describe it as flash is because it's not actually using NAND technology and they know the difference ;)

I looked up some of the ASIC fuse solutions, like eFuse from Toshiba, and it can also be an array of antifuses, which start off as open connections that permanently become connected. Either way, the process is meant to be irreversible. These come in arrays, so there may be hundreds of updates before the console comes close to maxing out the count.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifuse

I wonder if x1 and ps4 also use efuses. Microsoft has got the benefit of efuses since x360 so I suppose they want it in x1. But if it's in x1, it's also in ps4 right? Basically they are very similar in cpu.

I wonder if x1 and ps4 also use efuses. Microsoft has got the benefit of efuses since x360 so I suppose they want it in x1. But if it's in x1, it's also in ps4 right? Basically they are very similar in cpu.
Since the pirates have to connect PSN to get games before cloning them, it seems that Sony may have more chance to stop this kind of piracy?
Mandatory firmware update / change the verification and encryption process/ or maybe e-fuse..?

PS4 has been officially jailbroken. Now you might be able to see proper PS2 emulation on it.

upload_2015-12-13_17-57-18.png

It seems they just got access to system/ram. There is still a lot of work ahead [and most probably unveil that this time Sony did in fact activated their randomizer for creating app keys :D].

This is for enabling emulation of homebrew ps2 it's not for piracy how dare you suggest that. :yep2:

Allow windows to be installed and I can kiss my pc goodbye.

OK not really. But when I'm out of town, can just bring my tablet and ps4 instead of my tablet, ps4, and laptop

I hit my milestone on a weekend evening T_T and came back to B3D to chillax !

This news sounds like 2010 again. Do we get to triple or quad boot PS4 this time ?

glad B3D is open minded about this. i almost got banned in certain discussion in my country because talking about this. yeesh. on the other hand, the admin himself promote the use of 3rd party tools and PKG sharing on PS4 -_______- that is clearly a breach of user license agreement for PSN and PS4.

back to topic,
the hacker (cturd), also have Ps4sdk folder on his github but i have not checked further what is inside it...

Definitely good work by these guys but the number of consoles still running a vulnerable version of the firmware (dated September 2014) has got to be tiny. It'll be interesting to see what they find in there but we're on firmware 3.11 now (two substantial revisions on) so it'll be of historic interest only as much will have changed.

The rate PS4's are selling and requirement to update to use store etc., old FW PS4's must be near zilch. Why would someone have a 1.76 FW PS4 to eBay?

From what I heard, the only source of old consoles is usually the pirates themselves stocking up with untouched launch consoles. Once they announce a credible crack these sell for a large sum on ebay.

If it was me, I would go to forums and make sure everyone is talking about it right now. I would also use the words "officially cracked" so that I get more exposure than other pira.. I mean homebrew researchers. Lots of things are officially cracked until they aren't, so acting quickly is important for profit.

Back