Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I like the rocket launcher, but it doesn't seem to do enough damage. I guess that's cause everyone is slow and easy to hit. But still, when you and another dude are rocketing each other and jumping around it almost resembles quake 3 a bit.
Anyway, overall it's not bad, but playability is definitely lower than doom or quake. The map is pretty small and doesn't give you much room to maneuver, visibility is worse than earlier games because the lighting is much more varied, movement is much slower so you have less ability to dodge attacks(of course weapon damage seems lowered to balance this out a bit, but I would prefer having more control), and obviously loadouts restrict you more than weapon pickups and also means less strategy and map knowledge are required.

I typically ownthe rocket guys...except when I directly run into them :)

Repeater is for the distance and with a little aim quite good imo.

Doom alpha is a horrible game experience. It is a total graphical hell compared to any modern game. They strugle to revise the multiplayer aspects by introducing standard load outs and having some custom load outs. This is similar to the way COD/TitanFall has various custom loadouts when you spawn. They desperately try to introduce melee and custom assassinations which is so trashy compared to all modern games that have it. They also struggled to introduce climbing of various parts of the level. It feels like they're struggling to modernize the 16 year old Quake3 game.

I cant imagine the game doing well at all if the single player has the same horrible game mechanics and graphics as the multiplayer.

Yeah I don't know why they had to try to introduce melee assassinations. It's the stupidest crap ever for a Doom game and absolutely demolishes the flow of multiplayer.

So sad. Not at all looking forward to the game now.

Regards,
SB

Melee assassinations is only a small part...and it fits! It's no issue at all...in my 15 matches so far it happened ones to me and I performed it ones myself.

Come on...you guys just want to hate this game...lol!

Come on...you guys just want to hate this game...lol!

No. We've recognized it for what it is.

It might not be bad for a $5-$10 Arcade title, but it's no blockbuster $60 game basing it on the multiplayer we've seen so far.

I didn't mean to sound completely negative, I was just trying to be thorough. I think it's more enjoyable than other recent games I've played, but simple changes like weapon pickups would make it much more interesting I think. Maybe they'll make that a game mode.

I typically ownthe rocket guys...except when I directly run into them :)

Repeater is for the distance and with a little aim quite good imo.
Does run the game at 60 fps? Very very few devs match iD at this, and Wolfenstein games are a good example of this, they are butter smooth and so easy on the eyes 'cos of the framerate. I hope they don't break the tradition with Doom.

Does run the game at 60 fps? Very very few devs match iD at this, and Wolfenstein games are a good example of this, they are butter smooth and so easy on the eyes 'cos of the framerate. I hope they don't break the tradition with Doom.

I wouldnt say that. All the developers who were anybody at id Software are no longer there. Now they exist in name only.

I wouldnt say that. All the developers who were anybody at id Software are no longer there. Now they exist in name only.
By that, do you mean heroe Carmack? I know he isn't in the company because Facebook "bought" him, but I didn't hear nor read about any other significant desertion. Does the game feels to you like a proper 60 fps game? (I don't mind gameplay considerations that much til the full game is out)

By that, do you mean heroe Carmack? I know he isn't in the company because Facebook "bought" him, but I didn't hear nor read about any other significant desertion. Does the game feels to you like a proper 60 fps game? (I don't mind gameplay considerations that much til the full game is out)

I don't know of any big name developers that are there.

They have only the following key name employees which are more on the management front than the developer front:
Kevin Cloud - executive producer
Tim Willits - studio director
Robert Duffy - programming director
EDIT: As for Doom being 60fps, I'd be greatly disappointed if it wasn't because it's graphics pale compared to other 60fps games like Halo 5. It feels close to the 16 year old Quake 3 game, but with bad attempts at trying to modernize the MP gameplay.

Didn't they confirm at the Bethesda keynote back in...like, september? - that the game would indeed be 60fps?

I believe that's the entire deal with the engine setup they're using, to match Rage's framerate. Or maybe I misremember, this game has been cooking for so long now and it's still not nearly done.

They specified a release date of Spring 2016.

It did on my G3258 and 660. My CPU is running at 4.2GHz, and I had to go down to 1366x768 with no AA to get a consistent 60. I guess I could have turned AA back on.

I don't know of any big name developers that are there.

They have only the following key name employees which are more on the management front than the developer front:
Kevin Cloud - executive producer
Tim Willits - studio director
Robert Duffy - programming director
EDIT: As for Doom being 60fps, I'd be greatly disappointed if it wasn't because it's graphics pale compared to other 60fps games like Halo 5. It feels close to the 16 year old Quake 3 game, but with bad attempts at trying to modernize the MP gameplay.

Tiago is quite good actually, as far as I know. Also more flexible and modern, as opposed to exhibiting a recurring tendency of getting fixated on one thing and one thing alone. Just saying.

They did say its a 60 fps title. Does the MP ALpha feel 60 fps. The game is still far away, gfx can improve. The SP gfx they showed looked great for 60 fps, but I think they were all PC.

I really want it to be good ! I will go with @Billy Idol ...lol !

Or just remaster RAGE, I liked the gameplay a LOT ! You know what, I am just gonna go play it on my pc.

Let's say I didn't expect anything relevant from ID anymore but they surprised me by under cutting even my low expectations. I also came to the conclusion that the more disclaimers and "pseudo" NDAs you have to agree on to experience their work the lesser the quality is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back