Fallout 4 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I try to send everyone to Sanctuary Hill. I haven't used Dogmeat since the first few hours of the game but I usually run into him chilling by one of the two dog houses within Sanctuary.

As a fellow sniper, I'm trying to max out McCready. I have not got his quest yet, not sure when or how to get it.

Just continue to adventure and quest with him. Depending on what and how you play, getting companions to like you can be quick or slow. Companions will like or dislike you doing certain actions of traits, e.g. taking chems, picking locks, hacking terming, indiscriminate killing, being charitable, using persuasion, showing loyalty, stealing etc. The game will tell you if you've done one of those things, e.g. Codsworth liked that. Surprisingly for a post apocalyptic dog-eat-dog world most of the companions are fairly moral by the benchmark set by modern civilisation so if you're playing a complete dick it's going to be a slog. Maccready is a bit of a rogue and likes you picking locks, using charm in conversations and stealing but he dislikes indiscriminate killing.

Most characters have two of three 'friendship stages' and you know when you've crossed into a new stage because the character will generally try to initiate a lengthy dialogue (by the game's standards) about how things are going. At this point some companions, including Maccready, will also have a quest which you can pursue to move things on further like romance. Romancing pixels isn't my thing so I've not pursued that side of companions.

I've been taking each companion with me until I max their friendship/loyalty (which generally gives a perk) then moving to a new companion. The perks remain even when you've not with that companion.

edit: as a sniper myself, Maccready is not a great combat companion because he also likes to hang back which involves many enemies rushing both of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get it after hanging around with him for a while. I prefer Piper or Valentine as a companion neither burn through .45 ammo like McCready.

You get it after hanging around with him for a while. I prefer Piper or Valentine as a companion neither burn through .45 ammo like McCready.
It's worth saying that companions default weapons have infinite ammo. Handy if you're partnered with a Mr Handy companion as they have buzz saws (melee), lasers and flame throwers.

I think I keeping loosing their weapons, so McCready is now using the weapons I hand him. He uses my ammo?

My understanding (and experience) is that you can't remove companion's default weapons because they're not visible in trade but you can hand them a particular weapon and forcibly equip it. I keep meaning to experiment to see if it's the weapon that has infinite ammo or the companion. I.e. can you replace a companion's default .308 weapon with another .308 weapon and have the ammo be infinite.

Have you tried taking all the weapons from the companion and see what they use. Usually you only need to crouch and hold your weapon and your companion will do likewise.

My Valentine found himself a missile launcher and likes it a lot. lol That and a Institute laser rifle.

Yeah Valentine found a bloddy flamethrower and he is decimating stuff. Still, Codsworth with tons of weapons is the best.

Codsworth is awesome with a few keys perks (e.g. damage by robot companions increased). I remember I was with him and we bumped into a Mr. Gutsy (the military version of Mr. Handy) and Codsworth tore it to shreds before I even got involved.

I had the most unlikely of confluence encounters today, I fast travelled into an area and encountered ghouls, which I expected and began to fight them with my companion. Just as we were mopping up, four scavengers walk in and began attacking me. They caught me off guard and trying to buy time to find a safe place to eat some food I backed away into a bunch of raider. Thinking things couldn't get any worse I run in the only direction I could only to walk into two super mutants.

When I re-loaded a point where I was before the fast travel, and re-initiated the fast travel it played out exactly as before only I was better prepared for it. My Luck is 2 and I wonder if this was a factor.

If you're wondering I was fast travelling too..

The Med-Tek Research Centre

Anybody else have this happen? I'm beginning to think it's scripted.

I took a break from the repetitive side quests and just picked a part of the map to explore. Down by old Quincy I ended up killing three legendary guys which were 10-15 levels higher than me. Give me enough space and Psycho and I kill most things. The best part was three high level super mutants chasing me around the toy factory until one used a mini-nuke and hit the building in front of him and killed himself and his buddies.

Random video I made:

Is that the Atomtoys place full of the horse toy parts? Yes, I stumbled upon that on Sunday. It had an Overlord and a bunch of enforcers in it. I was beginning to retreat (tactically!) when a Brotherhood Vertibird showed up and decided to give me some air support but the mutants blew that glorious bastard out of the sky. It was enough of a distraction for me to lose the mutants then pick them off with a silenced sniper rifle and frag mines :yep2:

I've yet to find a locale where tough enemies mean I'll leave entirely and come back later, I'll always retry and adjust my tactics and so far perseverance has worked.

I found stacks of locations off the map, across the glowing sea. Luckily I found a hazmat suit before (0 armour but 1000 radiation protection) which made exploration easy as long as I ran like a coward from the horrendous number of glowy things that inhabit the place; basically left Piper to do the fighting whilst I ran like a rabbit in the opposite direction... But I'm just shy of level 49 now and have souped up most of my weapons and armour to the max. And now I'm going to start some quests properly.

Piper managed to pick a fight with a Vertibird forcing me to shoot it out of the sky for her. With a .44! I like that gun (it sets fire to things as well).

You are aggro with the Brotherhood? I am killing poor farmers for them, I feel bad.
I'm curerntly collecting their power armour as trophies. I had to build an extension to house them... I just wish you could steal the veribirds!

I too took down a vertibird with my institute rifle. This game is really disappointing me when it comes to enemies. There is nothing I cannot kill or even have to think about....pop buffouts/psycho/jet and everything goes down. Deathclaw is a nobody !

I am around level 24-25 and I hope the game changes changes later, cos I am bored now. Nothing is exciting cos nothing scared me ever in this game. The only boss I actually felt was a close fight was the Swan. Chems + Broadsider took it down.

I too took down a vertibird with my institute rifle. This game is really disappointing me when it comes to enemies. There is nothing I cannot kill or even have to think about....pop buffouts/psycho/jet and everything goes down. Deathclaw is a nobody !

I am around level 24-25 and I hope the game changes changes later, cos I am bored now. Nothing is exciting cos nothing scared me ever in this game. The only boss I actually felt was a close fight was the Swan. Chems + Broadsider took it down.
I've not used any chems or buffs at all, though I accidently drank a bottle of whiskey. Do they really have that much of an impact?

P.s.
I felt really guilty when I killed Swann. I was having great fun repeatedly luring Raiders and Super Mutants into the park to watch them get decimated and then, in a moment of careless excitement, I accidently hit him with the fatman. It was just enough to take him down.... Sad Face.

Vertibirds are pretty fragile and remember they are all over 200 years old.

I've not used any chems or buffs at all, though I accidently drank a bottle of whiskey. Do they really have that much of an impact?

Psycho slows time time (so everything appears slow-mo) for a while which can be useful. There are a few missions where you need to rescue somebody which is very difficult to do if there are several enemies and they'll all attempt a kill shot on the hsotage when you engage in combat. I'm generally avoiding alcohol or drugs becuase they carry a risk of addiction unless you taken the requisite perks to prevent it. Plus it makes the game too easy on most difficult modes, which range from ER. I'm playing on Very Hard and modes range from Very Easy to Easy to Normal to Hard to Very Hard to Survival.

Back