Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timing between DSi and 3DS Japan release was ~2 years. New 3DS was released 'Fall '14 in Japan which puts an NX handheld release in the same 2 year time period.

The suggestion that Nintendo is releasing a home console next year is an elementary dismissal.

Console builders should be looking for CPU cores that can grant a certain amount of performance continuously, not chips that raise the clocks on demand.

I know what you're implying but performance and power efficiency/ramping are not mutually exclusive.

Surely that would be 9 smaller cubes?
You could do a square shape with 9 cubes. 9 would make an odd cube, tho. (See what I did there? Heh.)

If you had 16 gamecubes and a fourth physical dimension you could make a game-tesseract... ;) (Would probably need a lot of ducktape though...)

If NX is home console, they will probably aim to reach ~1.5Tflops so that they could play with big boys. And we all know that Nintendo thinks that the easiest way to achieve that will be by ducktaping 3 or 4 WiiUs together.

If NX is home console, they will probably aim to reach ~1.5Tflops so that they could play with big boys. And we all know that Nintendo thinks that the easiest way to achieve that will be by ducktaping 3 or 4 WiiUs together.

4 WiiUs together would get you about 700 Gflops, less than half the goal of 1.5 Tflops.

Indeed, you'd need like 9 WiiUs to get there.

Both Zen and HBM are finalized. If Nintendo wants to use them, they can.

How much "finalized" equals to ready?
Amd will launch the first zen cpu (not apu) in 4Q 2016, Nintendo is expected to start production in 1Q 2016 with what is really ready and tested at that moment.

With GDDR5x the HBM2 looks less appealing. In the wild hipotesis that they are aiming for a decent home console, the first + mb traces can be more convenient than hbm + substrate.

How much "finalized" equals to ready?
Amd will launch the first zen cpu (not apu) in 4Q 2016, Nintendo is expected to start production in 1Q 2016 with what is really ready and tested at that moment.

With GDDR5x the HBM2 looks less appealing. In the wild hipotesis that they are aiming for a decent home console, the first + mb traces can be more convenient than hbm + substrate.

HBM will offer a PCB saving, form factor and efficiency savings that has to be factored in its favor. If Nintendo has gone for an HBM low power APU with no optical drive, then this is going to be one tiny little box which will give it a marketing advantage over the other two boxes. The cost of HBM will fall significantly as it becomes more mainstream and I'm not expecting NX console to be until Q4 '17.

If Nintendo has gone for an HBM low power APU with no optical drive, then this is going to be one tiny little box which will give it a marketing advantage over the other two boxes.
Let's call it a USP rather than a marketing advantage. A games console is bought chiefly for its ability to play games and not it's size, with form factor being one of a number of lower priority consumer considerations.

Wiiu supposedly only has 160 shaders

Yeah, it was confirmed by official Nintendo dev documents, 32 VLIW5 right? no real doubt.

Re Digitimes 10-12 mil in 2016...again all these launching soon reports to me, can only exist if the thing is really not so powerful. We should have leaks otherwise.

Huge quantities shipped in 2016 can only suggest to me Wii U-redux or mobile chipset. Anything more cutting edge suggests longer, more difficult development, lower launch quantities, and more leaks.

This doesn't mean I believe Digitimes though, they're unreliable.

The story is going round everywhere. Nintendo want 20 million shipped but can only produce 12 million in 1016. Even predicting to sell 12 million in one year is very aggressive and I wonder where they get that confidence. If the report is true, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back