Looking to buy tablet fan, can i use generic anything or specific model?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
So, my Vaio Tap 11 fan is whirring for days now. Very loud and smells like burnt plastic.

does tablet use specific proprietary fan? or i can buy same-sized fan from any brand and replace it? or is there specific series like PC CPU fan?

its out of warranty and i dont want to bring it back to sony because
  • usually take 3 months
  • 20 USD just for the 'labor cost'

thanks

Most laptops have their own specially designed parts, or at least custom designed brackets around the parts.

yikes! ugh.. i guess ill just punch the tablet a few times to make it bend enough to stop the fan whirring :/

Update:
yeah! now the fan only whir at max speed.

Last edited:
yeesh, my fan now SUPER LOUD rattle after i spin the tablet around in my fingers due to i have nothing to do while electricity blackout and heavy rain.. (seriously, why the heck did i spin around my tablet instead of doing something else...)

if anybody found replacement fan for Vaio Tap 11, please be kind enough to post it :D

thank you.

Thanks. Yikes that's expensive :( hmm gonna call Sony what is their estimated cost. If too expensive, I'll buy the fan myself. Thank you, with that keywords I found on aliexpress.com :D

hurray, successfully opened my tablet but the fan is irreparable. Sony put the fan together with one-use clamp, and they also closed the shaft hole with some kind of hard plastic that can't be taken out.

now I have ordered replacement fan from china, hopefully its legit.

but there's one problem left, the fan screws are stuck super hard to the motherboard....

@DSoup actually The whole main board is upside down. I guess they did it to make the cpu heat disperse to the back case instead of the screen. But then, can't they just install the fan in wrong way and reversed the polarity?

@DSoup actually The whole main board is upside down. I guess they did it to make the cpu heat disperse to the back case instead of the screen. But then, can't they just install the fan in wrong way and reversed the polarity?
Only if the PSU supplies 1.21 gigawatts. I wasn't even aware Sony made a tablet but engineers generally do things for practical reasons! If you want convoluted and inaccessible designs, buy Apple - you'll appreciate Sonys hardware a whole lot more! ;)

Only if the PSU supplies 1.21 gigawatts. I wasn't even aware Sony made a tablet but engineers generally do things for practical reasons! If you want convoluted and inaccessible designs, buy Apple - you'll appreciate Sonys hardware a whole lot more! ;)
yeah I saw the practicality I'm Vaio tap 11. BTW about Apple stuff, their stuff is simply too overpriced and too restrictive in the hardware and software. Their iPhone family have good repairability though, compared to the glue everywhere iPad (or Microsoft surface lines)

Ok just replaced the fan :D

The original broken fan have its screws stuck so I use a soldering iron to melt the plastic and extract the screws using pliers.

Now its all assembled with a new fan and

I CAN'T TURN IT ON

Because my town got electricity blackout, Blargh

Ok just replaced the fan :D

The original broken fan have its screws stuck so I use a soldering iron to melt the plastic and extract the screws using pliers.

Now its all assembled with a new fan and

I CAN'T TURN IT ON

Because my town got electricity blackout, Blargh

Do your tablets and laptops not have batteries?

Do your tablets and laptops not have batteries?
After disassembled it need to be connected to power once to make it able to turn on.

Anyway, electricity back on in the morning and my tablet turned on.

But it was so cold the fan doesn't spin. Or the replacement fan is broken.

Can't do some benchmark to heat it up because now I'm on police central station. Sitting...

Ugh how long this will taaaaake

Yeesh turns out the replacement fan is broken. It won't turn. Even when directly connected to 5v DC 1a power.

Hurray! the seller replaced my replacement fan, i put it in, bam! it works! :D

and i think its quieter than the original fan (it hums at lower frequency)

6 months and now the fan is broken again :(

already ordered a replacement fan.

why the heck this thing broke down so fast

Back