AMD Mantle API [updating]

Google with throw its weight around anything for a short time then abandon it to community.

yep Google is all about money, if they don't see a dime from something they won't stick around. And Vulkan isn't something that is going to improve their bottom line in the short term.

That's not actually quite true for Vulkan, it is actually based on Mantle, had there not been Mantle, it could look a lot different than it is now

I will add that Vulkan could be a turnover on the OpenGL AMD situation, as OpenGL was plagued with old code who have traditionally never worked ( on a natural way ) on AMD architecture. A fresh new additional version ( Vulkan ) is a good news for all AMD Opengl guys.

I say could... not that it will be the case.

My question is is Vulkan going to be more relevant to gaming than Mantle? ;) OpenGL isn't exactly popular in gaming. With Mantle at least AMD conned a few companies into putting resources into a render path to make their APUs and FX CPUs look better.

i dont know... future will tell.. sadly, the OpenGL history ( at least for gaming ) dont really speak for it. ( outside mobile ofc )...

But if there's one reason, is just for dont let MS seat on their b.... and provide at least a bit of competition.

Last edited:
Back