NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

I bought a GTX 970 a few months ago so while I'm fairly amazed at how much performance nVidia is squeezing out of the 28nm process, I can't imagine justifying the purchase of this new card. Especially so as I have a nice 1080p HDTV/monitor that I'm holding off on upgrading.

But progress is progress and I'm encouraged to see these 980 Ti cards, and AMD's Fury cards. The bar is now set pretty high for the next generation of cards on the newer process.
Don't let the meager resolution to fool you. DSR is just too tempting to resist the upgrade to 980Ti. :)

Don't let the meager resolution to fool you. DSR is just too tempting to resist the upgrade to 980Ti. :)
Oh, I like it and can use it in some titles. I enjoy my upgrades and it's something of a ritual. I'll just say that the 980 Ti is a great card but it doesn't fit into my upgrade cycle, or my price range. But it's still an important card to me as it signifies the level of performance that has to be beat by the next generation of top tier cards.

True, but to maintain 65 C @ 1539MHz on air quite a "feather in the hat"!

yes the cooler on that Kingpin card is pretty good, should be about 5c better than the regular Classified cooler, the impressive thing about that video/card though is that he is only giving the card 1.16 volts, so it's basically undervolted and still reaching those speeds.

I bought a GTX 970 a few months ago so while I'm fairly amazed at how much performance nVidia is squeezing out of the 28nm process, I can't imagine justifying the purchase of this new card. Especially so as I have a nice 1080p HDTV/monitor that I'm holding off on upgrading.

But progress is progress and I'm encouraged to see these 980 Ti cards, and AMD's Fury cards. The bar is now set pretty high for the next generation of cards on the newer process.
Big Pascal should be adding back reasonable FP64 capabilities so I'm wondering how much FP32 (FP16?) performance that will soak up.

Since GM200 basically dropped FP64 it's probably going to hold up fairly well in games for quite some time.

Windows 10 VGA graphics card performance benchmarks (quick test) ...

All test have been run on our primary graphics card test setup. This is based on a Core i7 5960X (8-core) X99 (MSI XPower) based PC with 16 GB of 2133 MHz (G.Skill) quad channel memory. This system has been overclocked toward 4.4 GHz on all eight cores.
The graphics card used was a GeForce GTX 980 Ti (reference running driver revision 353.62) to make sure we are not GPU limited. I am still running benchmarks and will add them as they come. The settings used are GPU stringent in terms of quality, they are the same settings per game or application as used in all our reviews.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/windows-10-vga-graphics-card-performance-benchmarks.html

I personally noticed a performance increase in my laptop's Radeon 5650M when comparing to the late builds of Win10 Preview, but I'm also sure this was specifically linked to the far newer graphics drivers that come with W10 that were otherwise previously "unavailable" for a card of this age. I think the last AMD driver update for the 5000-series cards was back in May of 2014 or something.

Last edited:
Last June Corsair unveiled a prototype of Bulldogg, a powerful gaming platform that packs the sheer performance of a full-size desktop gaming PC into a gorgeous new all-black, whisper-quiet console chassis designed for the living room.

Corsair’s proprietary liquid cooling technology makes it possible to overclock both the CPU and graphics card, allowing Bulldog to render silky smooth 4K graphics faster and quieter than conventional PCs. An included Corsair Hydro Series H5 SF liquid cooling block and radiator cools the CPU. Liquid cooled GeForce® GTX 980 Ti graphics cards, developed by Corsair and MSI, will be available separately from Corsair.com in the US. In addition, Corsair will sell a liquid cooling kit for graphics cards, comprised of an HG10 cooling bracket and Hydro Series H55 liquid cooler, for users that want to upgrade their existing graphics card.

The initial release of Bulldog is designed with PC do-it-yourselfers in mind, with a builder-friendly layout and tool-free features, and uses standard mini-ITX motherboards and SFX12V PSUs for future-proof upgradeability enabling users to keep pace as games and hardware evolve. The Bulldog DIY kit includes the chassis, power supply, CPU cooler, and motherboard, will be available at year-end at a suggested price of $399 USD.

• index.php
    index.php
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/corsair-bulldog-back-in-black.html

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Extreme Gaming WaterForce Review
In this review we test the GeForce GTX 980 Ti with the longest name evah! The new GeForce GTX 980 Ti Extreme Gaming WaterForce GPU review from Gigabyte. This product impresses by design as it comes in an all custom design with liquid cooling in the form of a WaterForce All-In-One closed loop water cooling system. The result is a card that offers excellent game rendering performance at silent noise levels.
index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...80_ti_extreme_gaming_waterforce_review,1.html

So that's what happens when you put a watercooler on a 980Ti. And it still uses less power than the FuryX :!:

Other than the obvious reduction in noise, I"m not as impressed as I hoped to be. The real challenge is having enough voltage to take advantage of the excellent cooling. With a max of +87mv, the attained clocks are only ~50MHz (max) from what my Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Windforce can do.

Still, Maxwell is a honkin' beast.

Actually why is it so huge? This goes for GPUs in general. Most are 2x bigger than they really need to be.

I hope AMD continues the trend of making small reference designs. And I wish NVIDIA would follow suit. But I guess with even mITX systems capable of handling 13" cards, it isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme. Just a pet peeve.

I was under the impression that Fury / FuryX were able to be much smaller because they don't need the individual GDDR5 memory traces. It's not just the traces by themselves either; the traces to each chip need to be equidistant to ensure you have proper clocking phase alignment between all the individual chips. This means that the length for ALL chips ends up being the "maximum length" of whichever chip had to be furthest away.

Other than the obvious reduction in noise, I"m not as impressed as I hoped to be. The real challenge is having enough voltage to take advantage of the excellent cooling. With a max of +87mv, the attained clocks are only ~50MHz (max) from what my Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Windforce can do.

Still, Maxwell is a honkin' beast.

Maxwell isn't like Kepler with regards to voltages. Maxwell's frequency scales poorly with voltages unless extreme cooling is used. You don't really get benefit with water, not much anyway. In fact using too much voltage can easily hurt your OC and cause instability with Maxwell, that's why and because it often just makes the card hit the power limit sooner annoys me when every reviewer just always apply the max +87mv as a default with their OCs (The card doesn't necessary use it all though). They should see how far it goes with stock voltage and then try incrementally adding voltage to see if they get benefit from it, not just put the max allowed instantly.

As an anecdote, I arrived at the same conclusion that you just explained. My best overclock on my 980Ti was with zero additional voltage. If I upped the volts, I ended up performing less because of the power limit -- exactly as you described. I'm super impressed with how my well my factory-overclocked 980Ti was able to go even further on the stock voltage, so I'm really not complaining.

I guess the statement here is the water cooling is really only useful for keeping it silent. The clocks just don't have much more room to grow...

Why does NV implement a hard power limit on their cards?
It began with Nvidia's Green Light program.
Tends to cut down the warranty claims for board vendors, and Nvidia would prefer people griping about the nanny state than having to shell out for warranty replacements (and carrying the RMA inventory that is associated with it.)
It's pretty easy to see how certain SKUs get tainted when OC is pushed hard, fails, and the model becomes an instant internet meme. Gigabyte's GTX 780Ti GHz Edition and Asus's GTX 670 DCII TOP are prime examples of how a single product can have a wider ranged detrimental effect on a brand.

Actually why is it so huge? This goes for GPUs in general. Most are 2x bigger than they really need to be.

I hope AMD continues the trend of making small reference designs. And I wish NVIDIA would follow suit. But I guess with even mITX systems capable of handling 13" cards, it isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme. Just a pet peeve.

I fully expect the boards with Pascal chip/s that use HBM2 will likely be similarly small.

Regards,
SB

Back