Nintendo GOing Forward.

They're super-reluctant to offer it at a discount. It's ridiculous at the price it's at, though (even for Nintendo fans who know NX is soon in the coming). They're packing it with 2 great games, but the other consoles have attractive bundles as well.

AMD to release notebook class Zen based APU's with X1/PS4 power and HBM in '17. NX?

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-launch-q4-2016/

Zen Based APUs To Bring PS4 & XBOX ONE Level Of Performance, Zen Coming To The Enterprise Space In 2017
Moving over to the APU and server side of the Zen equation. APUs and enterprise products based on the new Zen microarchitecture are planned for release sometime in 2017. We’ve also learned of a particularly exciting piece of information about AMD’s next generation APUs and that they will boast performance levels that are comparable with the Playstation 4 and XBOX ONE, even inside frugal notebook chips.

One other exciting tidbit is that AMD is working on a Zen based APU with on-package stacked high bandwidth memory that’s planned for release in 2017. However, whether all Zen based APUs & future iterations will feature HBM is not something that were able to confirm.

Whatever SoC they choose needs to leave room for their trademark generational gimmick, whatever that may be. I'm starting to think more and more that a watch is in the works which will use gyros and other tech to augment traditional controls.

I can't see Nintendo use cutting edge hardware as last AMD APU on 14/16 nm process. Even an high end version that would use HBM as intel does with CrystalWell.
AMD have shown a strong desire to get design wins in the semi-custom segment, offering an APU that will retail ~$200 for ~$100 to a bulk customer is entirely plausible.
Zen quad core APU with ~2Tflop GPU + 8GB HBM2 could cost them ~$200, I see it as not only possible but probable.

I can't see Nintendo use cutting edge hardware as last AMD APU on 14/16 nm process. Even an high end version that would use HBM as intel does with CrystalWell.

Nintendo's history has created that realistic expectation of old tech, but the economics of going w/ Zen and 14/16nm over a 5 year product cycle, instead, may make more sense.

I am assuming NX console will be Fall '17 (not '16).. By that time, 14/16nm will be a mature, mainstream yield. And, If Zen means using 4 low clocked cores instead of 8 older cores at a higher clock for Nintendo's next console, that maybe a longer term cost savings as well.

AMD have shown a strong desire to get design wins in the semi-custom segment, offering an APU that will retail ~$200 for ~$100 to a bulk customer is entirely plausible.
Zen quad core APU with ~2Tflop GPU + 8GB HBM2 could cost them ~$200, I see it as not only possible but probable.

Yes, thanks, this is the point I've been trying to make for a while. You have to sit down and think what deal made the most sense for AMD and Nintendo, rather than just assume it must be cheap old tech.

Yes, thanks, this is the point I've been trying to make for a while. You have to sit down and think what deal made the most sense for AMD and Nintendo, rather than just assume it must be cheap old tech.
Even a Zen APU is actually being modest for a 2016 console, in 2018 I expect to see a 12Tflop PS5.

Even a Zen APU is actually being modest for a 2016 console, in 2018 I expect to see a 12Tflop PS5.

Well, I think, it just reinforces the point that Nintendo can make a modest, efficient console with the effective equivalence of X1/PS4 using new tech, at a low cost in a business deal that is great for AMD and Nintendo.

AMD is betting their whole business on Zen, K12, and 14/16nm next-gen tech. It's very rational to conclude that part of the financing of this involved securing a semi-console win from Nintendo using this tech to pay for this tech.

Realistic scenario:
AMD has a low power, 14/16nm netbook Zen APU in '17 supplied to OEM by TSMC/GloFo, that is mfg the Nintendo NX console (and handheld) APU in the same fab/plant. There is a business synergy that makes sense.

I expect only a 2c/4t cpu if its based on Zen. There is no reason to have more as it would be almost as powerful as the 8 jaguar cores if the cores are remotely as powerful as AMD is hoping they are. That with a 128 bit 8GB GDDR5x 1024shader GPU is much more likely than HBM tbh. At 16nm in 2016 Entire SoC for $50. It will allow nintendo to keep pricing in line with the current consoles.

That's true, but the reality is that generations transition in a much more gradual manner these days. With the success of the PS4, I can see developers abandoning it the minute the PS5 comes out. So if Nintendo has the NX ready for 2016, that still gives Nintendo a five year window where third party support will be there if its cheap and easy to port games to NX. The question is what direction is Nintendo going? Will Nintendo try to be the most powerful console for a period of time? Or will they try and slip in and undercut the competition with a cheaper product that is on par with the competition? I'm thinking a $299 console that is a step above PS4, and perhaps a cheaper model that doesn't include a disk drive.

Something that most people seem to miss out here is that NX is supposed to merge the portable and stationary Nintendo platforms. That will greatly influence any HW choice Nintendo will make.

Something that most people seem to miss out here is that NX is supposed to merge the portable and stationary Nintendo platforms. That will greatly influence any HW choice Nintendo will make.
Most people misquote Iwata on this.

Iwata talked about merging hardware divisions and software environment. Not merging architectures.

Like Sony did with PS4/PS3/Vita. We see a lot of crossplatform indies on Sony platforms.

Amiibos are only just the beginning. o_O

Have something you want to share, Al? lol I keep going back to how liolio phrased it in an earlier post. "The same guys designed the NX and I'm scared people (potential clients and investors alike) will be literally floored or stunted or left in awe."

Have something you want to share, Al? lol I keep going back to how liolio phrased it in an earlier post. "The same guys designed the NX and I'm scared people (potential clients and investors alike) will be literally floored or stunted or left in awe."
Oh, I have nothing. Just kinda interesting how amiibos have worked out, but I suppose it might end up killing itself as they run out of characters. It's disappointing how the game usage has turned out, and it looks more like a collectible hoarding short-term win.

I guess they could start a Pokemon Card version for a F2P pokemon game. DOAX3 collectibles!

Haha, well they have yet to explore the "mini amiibo" concept which Iwata said was in the works. I don't know how long that gravy train will run, though. If stock is any indication, it's starting to slow down. I know I've been burnt out on it.

Back