Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Screenshots of Endor on PC in 4K: http://imgur.com/a/GinWK

I apologize for posting this here, but since most discussion regarding the game seems to take place in the console section, I thought I'd share it here. It would be a waste if these impressive screenshots went unseen. :p

Well, the concept of DLC is absolutely ok. It is also absolutely necessary to stabilize the income such that game devs don't get laid off after release. DLC is good. MTs, I actually don't care, they seem to be always cosmetic or fast travel. This is all ok!

However, you must admit that there are differences in DLC. And I don't have to list it again, but you should understand that the way Battlefront is designed is not good and hopefully doesn't trigger others to do the same: It is uite jarring that apparently, the big maps are not shared across the big game modes, in stark contrast to the Battlefield series. So if they release new maps in the DLC with say 4 maps...is this 4 maps for each game mode, or a total of 4, so 1 map per big game mode? You can't trust them anymore imo.

Screenshots of Endor on PC in 4K: http://imgur.com/a/GinWK

I apologize for posting this here, but since most discussion regarding the game seems to take place in the console section, I thought I'd share it here. It would be a waste if these impressive screenshots went unseen. :p

Is this without AO?
owihh8ty0ukh.jpg

That part looks really rough. Very impressive shots otherwise, Endor looks lovely!
However, you must admit that there are differences in DLC. And I don't have to list it again, but you should understand that the way Battlefront is designed is not good and hopefully doesn't trigger others to do the same: It is uite jarring that apparently, the big maps are not shared across the big game modes, in stark contrast to the Battlefield series. So if they release new maps in the DLC with say 4 maps...is this 4 maps for each game mode, or a total of 4, so 1 map per big game mode? You can't trust them anymore imo.

I agree and that's why i said i am not buying Battlefront full price.

Another view on the subject

I don't agree with everything he says but what i agree with is that publishers won't care if you don't like their pricing scheme if you actually buy the game at full price regardless. Consumers really have to understand what power they possess in that Publisher-Consumer relationship. If you keep buying overpriced shit they will keep selling you just that. Publishers are in it for the profit to begin with.

Last edited:
Only game devs come to the conclusion that the right strategy is not to improve, but just increase the pricing and offer less!
I don't think that's true. Prices of everything have always gone up, from books to music to cinema tickets. To bus fair to sandwiches. Especially when the product is bigger and better and more involved like next-gen software versus previous gen software. Software companies that can't sell at a higher price have moved to a subscription model. If anything games are trailing, perhaps because gamers are so resistant. But then those gamers can't be that resistant because companies keep using DLC etc., and they'll be basing their choices based on hard numbers of sales and profitability and not what some internet forums' rants. They know that for all the bitching they might get, they'll make more money using their current strategies than not, and that's their purpose.

The world changes. Things we were used to go, and we have to accept new ways. If people don't like the new pricing models, don't spend on them.

mines shipped :) I will likely get the DLC if I like the game enough and can get my usual deals on PSN credit (tho those seem to be drying up :()

I don't think that's true. Prices of everything have always gone up, from books to music to cinema tickets. To bus fair to sandwiches. Especially when the product is bigger and better and more involved like next-gen software versus previous gen software. Software companies that can't sell at a higher price have moved to a subscription model. If anything games are trailing, perhaps because gamers are so resistant. But then those gamers can't be that resistant because companies keep using DLC etc., and they'll be basing their choices based on hard numbers of sales and profitability and not what some internet forums' rants. They know that for all the bitching they might get, they'll make more money using their current strategies than not, and that's their purpose.

The world changes. Things we were used to go, and we have to accept new ways. If people don't like the new pricing models, don't spend on them.

Erm, sorry shifty but that's not true.

Pricing and content offered aside can we at least admit
this is pretty amazing ? A couple of months ago people didn't
think these visuals were possible period let alone at 60fps.

Yes, nobody should take away anything from what DICE have achieved on consoles/PCs. Even if it comes at a cost (reduced resolution, non-interactive environments, reduced player count, reduced level size etc.). The overall visual package is pretty amazing, especially so at 60hz. I am very much looking forward to that single player Star Wars game on the same engine and at half the refresh rate :smile:

Erm, sorry shifty but that's not true.
Okay, some things don't increase in price, or fluctuate more. But prices only go down when they can, such as car manufcturers using robots to reduce average car price. That's not possible in game development. It's unreasonable to think devs should be making far more involved/detailed games with far more man hours required and charge the same as simpler products from yesteryear. The reason they cost more isn't because devs are grossly inefficient, but because the art is bloody difficult and time consuming! If devs are having to put in more to make the games people want, people should be willing to reimburse their efforts. If they won't do that up front with $80+ games, then additional revenue streams are going to be sought. And yes, those prices might be unfairly high, but that's business for you. Refuse to pay their prices and they'll adjust to what people will pay. Refuse to pay what's needed and the games will dry up.

Okay, some things don't increase in price, or fluctuate more. But prices only go down when they can, such as car manufcturers using robots to reduce average car price. That's not possible in game development. It's unreasonable to think devs should be making far more involved/detailed games with far more man hours required and charge the same as simpler products from yesteryear. The reason they cost more isn't because devs are grossly inefficient, but because the art is bloody difficult and time consuming! If devs are having to put in more to make the games people want, people should be willing to reimburse their efforts. If they won't do that up front with $80+ games, then additional revenue streams are going to be sought. And yes, those prices might be unfairly high, but that's business for you. Refuse to pay their prices and they'll adjust to what people will pay. Refuse to pay what's needed and the games will dry up.

yeah I know, I just wanted that once in a lifetime chance to say you were wrong! :p

Well the game's reviews are out for the console versions, and it's generally getting the sub-75% mediocre ratings for the very same reasons that the Beta was criticized.

The game looks and sounds great, but the over-simplification and castrated amounts of content (maps, weapons, characters, no campaign, etc.) makes it a rather bad deal for $60/60€.
Many gamers are calling it quits after ~10 hours of gameplay, since there's little to no reward to level-up after getting the jetpack and certain weapons, and the very limited map choice makes it too repetitive too soon.
If this game doesn't tank in the mid/long-term, it'll be due to the massive Star Wars Hype-Train Era that we're living through right now. And even if it's a massive commercial success, it'll definitely leave a stain in the "Star Wars Battlefront" franchise.

Plus, $50 for a Season Pass that is still yet to reveal what exactly it will bring? Might as well just make a kickstarter for it.

It won't tank, reviewers are generally 20-30 year old neckbeard hardcore gamers. This game is for the kids, the ones who don't count maps and don't pay for games. There is going to be a ton of post launch support too.

Well, as every business in the world, they should freaking update their processes and optimize their production. Welcome to modern age! Every one faces the same problem and needs to improve to be competitive.

Only game devs come to the conclusion that the right strategy is not to improve, but just increase the pricing and offer less!

Economy my ass. If DICE is only able to release 4 maps in the major modes to be economical, they should let go and do something else.

The problem is that game development is about "creativity" (I hate this word) and you can't force it or "improve" it at will.
In the end it's all about the quality of the artist/programmer/manager that makes the difference.

Human factor is the limiting factor here.

That's true of every game these days. Does Halo have paid DLC? COD? Assassin's Creed?

Are reviewers complaining about Halo, COD and Assassin's Creed feeling like they have the content of 1/3rd of a game?
Are gamers making the exact same complaint in all kinds of social media?

Gamers always want bigger and better, and that costs money, plain and simple. For me, I just can't see myself paying $150 CAD to get the game and the add ons. It's too expensive for me. But people are willing to pay, and there's a huge investment made for a game like this. The game is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Apparently for many the pricing is right.

Well the game's reviews are out for the console versions, and it's generally getting the sub-75% mediocre ratings for the very same reasons that the Beta was criticized.

The game looks and sounds great, but the over-simplification and castrated amounts of content (maps, weapons, characters, no campaign, etc.) makes it a rather bad deal for $60/60€.
Many gamers are calling it quits after ~10 hours of gameplay, since there's little to no reward to level-up after getting the jetpack and certain weapons, and the very limited map choice makes it too repetitive too soon.
If this game doesn't tank in the mid/long-term, it'll be due to the massive Star Wars Hype-Train Era that we're living through right now. And even if it's a massive commercial success, it'll definitely leave a stain in the "Star Wars Battlefront" franchise.

Plus, $50 for a Season Pass that is still yet to reveal what exactly it will bring? Might as well just make a kickstarter for it.

I honestly dont trust Dice anymore. The shine is off them and their last few games have been clunkers IMO.

Pure multiplay titles are already have limited appeal. I have seen the day one DLC content bombs hurt many many franchises in the long run and these season passes are laughable since you aren't guaranteed what will be released in the time frame of the "season". Paying upfront for broken promises.

As its been said, production values are pretty high but from a value standpoint its pretty bad especially when this genre is only as good as the player base and how long that base sticks around after release. That variability makes me steer clear of practically all full priced MP games these days unless there is some proof of staying power and future value.

Back