Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, it is, WU will download a compressed image of the OS to install.

I had to reinstall gpu, printer, Ethernet and cpu-z (lol)
creative xfi titanium drivers strangely remained untouched...
Interesting. Might as well just reload my two suspect PC's then, because those two are the "worst" offenders of all the PC's in my house for random hardware.

It also messes up sleep mode in a way because it unchecks the "wake only on magic packet" box in the NIC properties. Which means PCs will wake for mysterious reasons if other devices are on the network.

I had to reinstall XFi drivers because it did something to them and the Creative apps wouldn't load. Also had some errors from 8gadgetpack and Classic Shell. Some startup apps were removed from startup.

No major problems so far though.
X-Fi works with W10 now? I had to remove mine when I first installed as I couldn't get any sound with the Creative test drivers (since there are no "real" W10 drivers yet).

X-Fi works with W10 now? I had to remove mine when I first installed as I couldn't get any sound with the Creative test drivers (since there are no "real" W10 drivers yet).
There are official X-Fi drivers for Windows 10.

You can also get the current X-Fi Support Pack made by that Daniel_K fellow.

Yay upgrade finally downloading for me :smile2:
Me too, still some time to go. Windows 10 is working well for me. My only issue has been with a driver and the DPC Watchdog violation thing, which seems to be fixed. I can't wait to start using virtual machines on Windows 10. I loved my first ever OS, Windows 95, despite its flaws. And it is abandonware now, MS-DOS, Windows, OS/2..etc, isos, are available to download in this great page below, for anyone interested. I downloaded quite a few already. I'm particularly interested in Windows 2000.

https://winworldpc.com/library

I have complete sets of Microsoft OS media starting with MSDOS 5 and Win3.0. The only one I'm "missing" is WinME, and truth be told, I'm really not missing it ;)

I got one Windows 10 issue recently, which was that my pinned applications moved to my other screen for some reason.

As for the multi-display issue, I am working at a customer site that has old 1280x1024 screens ... The difference with the built in screen is huge, so I experimented with a setting available from Windows 8 that keeps Windows the same physical size whichever screen you show them on. This will make a window look slightly blurred when moved to another screen, but I still like it. Eventually resolutions should be high enough for the blurriness to no longer be an issue.

Does anyone know how to force the Win10 installer to install windows 10 pro without having to input a product key first?

After I upgraded my win7 ultimate PC and received win10 pro in return, I'm seemingly stuck in a hole where the USB key installer places win10 home on my PC, which then cannot be authorized either with the online authentication win10 pro key or my original hardcopy win7 key...

@Grall just leave the product key blank, thats what I did

WARNING
I went to the windows store yesterday, downloaded a piece of software/app (first time), all well and good, until I turned on my PC today
it wanted my password, it wouldnt let me use the PC until I inputted my password (which I have stored on the PC)
of course I had it set to not ask for the password when starting up as its a home PC (but somehow cause I typed my password in to download this software it reset my choice)
I had to use my phone to

Last edited:
@Grall just leave the product key blank, thats what I did
Yeah, that's what I did too, and it installed win10 home for me, which now refuses to accept my product key because either key belongs to other editions of windows... Damn, I love microsoft and their stupidly convoluted ways! :p

Did you try installing from a fully integrated Threshold 2 image of Win10? That is supposed to accept previous product keys, while the original Win10 images do not accept previous WinOS product keys.

Did you try installing from a fully integrated Threshold 2 image of Win10?
Not even sure what that is, nor how to obtain something like that...! :)

I used the media creation tool (or whatever it's called) Microsoft offers when you go to the "install Win10 from USB key" page at their site. If there's any other way (and knowing MS, there's probably at least like, 12), I'm unaware of it... :p

Update broke sleep mode on my Catleap ips monitor, monitor is know for having issues waking from sleep (it stays off) but a gpu driver update or something fixed it and this update broke it, when I wake the monitor from sleep the screen turns back on with green static/corruption in the center and the left part of the screen is actually like cloned version of the right. Odd problem, I figured my Radeon 290 broke or something so I rebooted and the corruption persisted, I apparently should have turned the monitor off and then on again.
Edit- turned off the option in power options to turn off my monitor the monitor still seems to go to sleep, I physically turn off the monitor at night so I can't be sure but it seems likely.

Last edited:
Not even sure what that is, nor how to obtain something like that...!

Threshold 2 is the Win10 November update. I asked if the software image you're using includes that service pack or not. The important change for you is the ability to use Product Keys from Win7 or Win8 during installation to register for the Free Win10 License.

I'll be updating my wife's Windows 7 laptop. She's already backing up her data.
Is there a best way to install this?

Fresh install or just go with the Windows 10 update?
I plan on doing it this week.

Just do the Windows 10 update. It's fairly smooth and quick and shouldn't have any issues if it's prompting that it's ready for upgrade.

Threshold 2 is the Win10 November update. I asked if the software image you're using includes that service pack or not.
Ah, well why didn't you just say so! :devilish: I actually don't know if the image has the november update included or not, I made the USB key the same day I installed the computer, so it could theoretically be possible the update is included. I don't really know how to tell the difference. Anyway, I never considered that it might be included, and did not try to type in my win7 key as I thought it would not work...

Mouse wheel no longer works in the "all apps" sub-menu :\
You mean start menu->all apps? Hm, scrolling works fine there for me. Logitech G700 MMO mouse, but without any special drivers or other software installed, so essentially just a regular USB mouse (well, composite device really, as it is also emulating a a keyboard... :p)

Ah, well why didn't you just say so! :devilish: I actually don't know if the image has the november update included or not, I made the USB key the same day I installed the computer, so it could theoretically be possible the update is included. I don't really know how to tell the difference. Anyway, I never considered that it might be included, and did not try to type in my win7 key as I thought it would not work...

You mean start menu->all apps? Hm, scrolling works fine there for me. Logitech G700 MMO mouse, but without any special drivers or other software installed, so essentially just a regular USB mouse (well, composite device really, as it is also emulating a a keyboard... :p)
It work on my SP3, but not with the Razer Lachesis 400dpi with generic driver.. I'll try the old Razer dedicated driver... Looks like the mouse pointer do not get the menu focus event, maybe it's a GPU driver bug related to the compositor.
NOTE: I disabled the option that allow to scroll all the windows even if they are not in foreground. If I enable the option it works, but I do not like that behaviour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back