Fallout 4 PC discussion

Btw found this at the Bethsoft official pc forums

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1543742-fallout-4-pc-support-please-read/

I am running 144Hz with Gsync on. Gonna try setting it to 120Hz and iPresentInterval = 2.
Here's the explanation for what the iPresentInterval setting does:

http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/31653

In general, you are advised to keep the game's default settings and continue to play the game with a 60fps cap. The fps cap that the game uses is determined by the your monitor refresh rate (typically 60Hz or 120Hz), and dividing it by the "iPresentInterval" value.

Please note that if your monitor is set to 60Hz, the iPresentInterval value in your .INI file should be "1", and if your monitor is set to 120Hz, the iPresentInterval value should be "2". Setting it to "0" uncaps the framerate and can cause the issues mentioned above. If your monitor is set to a value larger than 120Hz (such as 144Hz), they are advised to set their desktop refresh rate to 120Hz instead, when playing the game.

So people saying that iPresentInterval = 2 sets the framerate vsync to 30 FPS are only correct if the monitor is locked to 60 Hz.

Here's the explanation for what the iPresentInterval setting does:

http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/31653

So people saying that iPresentInterval = 2 sets the framerate vsync to 30 FPS are only correct if the monitor is locked to 60 Hz.

So, basically, "If you try and run this game at more than 60Hz, our physics engine can't cope". I was running with iPresentInterval=0 last night and I was seeing issues with getting stuck when quitting a terminal. I guess I'll be setting that back to 1 when I get home.

So, basically, "If you try and run this game at more than 60Hz, our physics engine can't cope". I was running with iPresentInterval=0 last night and I was seeing issues with getting stuck when quitting a terminal. I guess I'll be setting that back to 1 when I get home.
Yes, I think Bethesda needs to finally face the fact that their hotwired Creation engine needs a fundamental rebuild or they need to have a new engine ready for the next RPG.

They should have had a skunkworks team working in parallel on a new engine while making Fallout 4 and then they should release a Fallout 4 director's cut where they just replace the engine. It could even be a paid version ($40) or something.

Anyone do the Corvega factory? How was performance there?

Last edited:
Anyone do the Corvega factory? How was performance there?
I just finished cleaning the place up -- took a few tries. When I popped onto the roof to continue cleaning up baddies, there was a "thunderstorm" that was all green haze and green lightning bolts. It reminded me of something out of STALKER; each time lighting struck, I took RADS. That's new...

Anyway, performance seemed to be fine. Tonight I upped the rez to 3840x2160 (DSR mode) while keeping everything at max except GodRays using "high". Stayed at 60fps all the way thru, although I noticed GPU utilization was finally bouncing off the ceiling this time. Framebuffer also picked up, it ranged from ~3.3GB to 3.6GB during this session. CPU usage was also "higher"; it averaged ~25% this round instead of the usual ~18% or so.

Edit: Forgot to mention - ran into a 3D clocks issue with my 980 Ti when I first booted FO4. Here's the funny part: I didn't even realize it until I went to the Corvega factory :D I came into the area and was scoping the exterior and noticed a bit of frame drop. I ran around trying to see if there was anything specific that I could look at to cause the frameloss, couldn't find anything specific, so I alt-tabbed out to the desktop to check MSI Afterburner.

And there it was - GPU clock of 5xxMHz. It had been that way the entire time I was playing, although at that moment it was all 1440p instead of DSR mode. I exited the game, re-entered, and the GPU still refused to uptick to full speed. Rebooted the PC and it all started behaving again. Not sure if this was a graphics driver problem, or maybe an MSI problem, or a Fallout problem. Anyway, after i got back in and played for a few minutes without a hiccup, i tabbed back out to check the logging again. Since GPU utilization was ~65% or so, I decided to turn on DSR "just to see."

I think I'll keep it that way now :)

Last edited:
Yes, I think Bethesda needs to finally face the fact that their hotwired Creation engine needs a fundamental rebuild or they need to have a new engine ready for the next RPG.

They should have had a skunkworks team working in parallel on a new engine while making Fallout 4 and then they should release a Fallout 4 director's cut where they just replace the engine. It could even be a paid version ($40) or something.

we can hope that 2016 is a new engine with skyrim remastered and then a new elder scrolls in 2017 ?

After Rage I had a dream of seeing that quality with the FallOut setting... not this time yet :(

After Rage I had a dream of seeing that quality with the FallOut setting... not this time yet :(
Maybe because it's in the wrong part of the country. ;) It is certainly vastly more demanding on the hardware than Rage. Rage was so static and sometimes felt like driving around in a diorama because of the painted backdrops.

I do wish they'd figure out a way to dramatically scale up the world size. It's just too dense. It seems a bit like an amusement park. Wandering the Universal Studios backlot with fake cities.

Last edited:
I upped ugridstoload to 9. I can see for miles and miles and miles :D
Is this the setting which in Fallout 3 made all the AI you couldn't see also run so that you could enter a cave which was supposed to have a battle between spiders and raiders and they would be all dead because they had fought at the start of the game when you were miles away?

Is this the setting which in Fallout 3 made all the AI you couldn't see also run so that you could enter a cave which was supposed to have a battle between spiders and raiders and they would be all dead because they had fought at the start of the game when you were miles away?
Probably. Personally I find it hilarious when I run up on situations like that. :D

But it works both ways. If I get up on a really high place I can snipe guys from 700 meters out. It's really funny to see all the baddies jump up into their "fight" positions, strafing around getting brainsniped with no possibility of retaliation. :devilish:

I accidentally posted the following in the console thread:

I've found that unlmited inventory makes some of the features in the game pointless, like Supply Lines (which sounds fun). Thinking about going back to a ~1000lb limit so I can make use of that stuff. On the other hand it is damn nice not to have to worry about filling up when I'm out exploring...:-?

Guess I can set it back and then if I fill up at an inconvenient place I can up it again temporarily until I can make it back to base. Yeah that's what I'm gonna do.

Probably. Personally I find it hilarious when I run up on situations like that. :D

But it works both ways. If I get up on a really high place I can snipe guys from 700 meters out. It's really funny to see all the baddies jump up into their "fight" positions, strafing around getting brainsniped with no possibility of retaliation. :devilish:
I wish it had Crysis' ballistics. It's stupid to be able to snipe with pistols as you can here.

I keep thinking about Crysis because I hear it in the soundtrack. Same composer.

My wife bought this tonight and seeing it for myself it's definitely a lot better looking game than Skyrim or FO3, some decent improvements to the engine. Enough to get them by with this release but dearly want to see something brand new for the next Elder Scrolls.

I just did the Corvega factory and outside while walking up the platforms performance was horrible, like 15-20 fps at times horrible, luckily it got better when inside. Wonder if how much performance they can get out through optimizations.

Radeon R9 290, game is set to ultra(what is set it to by default) other than God Rays, which was set to low for performance reasons. The game runs okay besides that part, usually my "low" fps outdoors is when it drops to like 35-40 fps.

I got around 50fps in that factory but again that's with ugridstoload at 9. All Ultra except godrays on High. GTX970/i7-3770K/16GB

Back