Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Xbox One CPU cores are the same as PS4 cores, but faster, and with lower latency memory access despite higher clock.

There were two stages of the six "game" cores having reserves released (now down to 0%), API overhead reductions, and the seventh core being made partially available if Kinect game libraries were not used. Don't think all of seventh core is available. Yet.

Obviously, GPU is what really matters most of the time, just like last gen ....

Maybe DDR vs GDDR also?

Good question. Are they still reserving that huge and ridiculous amount of RAM for the OS?

As far as we know, seems likely. Since both do this it's not an advantage.

I wonder if they (Sony/MS) think these systems are not powerful enough/cant i/o fast enough for over 5GB to really matter. One of the only things I can really think of why they dont seem to change it...

Game probably has not been optimized yet on PS4, probably have better XB1 visuals in future too but I would not be surprised if the development started there prior to launch for obvious reasons.

I thought we covered that the DDR3 vs GDDR latency was practically the same?.
Hmm. Just working off the top of my head before I sleep here.

In random memory access patterns of different sized data, I don't believe this is true. GDDR has to pull the full 256bits IIRC. I believe DDR3 does 64bits?

Hmm. Just working off the top of my head before I sleep here.

In random memory access patterns of different sized data, I don't believe this is true. GDDR has to pull the full 256bits IIRC. I believe DDR3 does 64bits?

I can see how that changes bandwidth but not latency.

Also all this CPU bound discussion always assumes that we never see more compute heavy stuff being handled by async compute, which the PS4 has more of and may make small CPU differences very irrelevant.

The memory latency is a non factors on consoles. Unlike a PC, they aren't running multiple concurrent applications fighting for system resources. The software written for consoles have access patterns appropriate for the system. Bandwidth is king.

The memory latency is a non factors on consoles. Unlike a PC, they aren't running multiple concurrent applications fighting for system resources. The software written for consoles have access patterns appropriate for the system. Bandwidth is king.
Right... I wonder though how something like this can be made on current consoles --new Tomb Raider X360 update with improved graphics. http://gearnuke.com/rise-tomb-raider-graphics-improved-latest-update-comparison-inside/

I doubt we will ever see optimisation like in the previous generation consoles again.

You see optimization similar to that but only by certain developers which have the resources and are willing to spend time optimizing for a specific system. Some examples of that this gen would be: Forza 6 and Halo 5 for Xbox (consistent performance across the board with minimal, if any, frame drops). The Order: 1886, Driveclub, Uncharted Collection, Infamous Second Son/First light, Resogun and Killzone Shadowfall on Ps4 (all pleasing looking games and solid performers overall).

For both systems, MGS V is a consistent performer as well, Destiny also is surely well optimized even though it probably doesn't utilize Ps4 as much as it could, Arkham Knight is also really consistent on consoles and Mad Max/Just Cause 3 from Avalanche are looking very solid as well. There's probably quite a few other games i have forgotten.

I am looking forward to what these guys can achieve on Xbox 1 and Ps4 (and what carries over to PC of course!):
  • 343i for the next Halo game
  • Turn10 for the next Forza (maybe dynamic tod and weather!)
  • Polyphony digital with GTS/GT7
  • Naughty Dog with whatever they try to do (always impressive level of polish)
  • Crytek if they manage to deliver a solid performer on consoles (still haven't done that after many games)
  • Guerrilla (very tech savvy, Shadowfall still looks very impressive to this date)
  • Rockstar (not much to be said here, top of the line dev with vast amounts of resources and nice use of tech all around)
  • QD (even though i think their games are usually not that great, they deliver on the technical front, B:TS is still a massive achievement on the Ps3)
And again like i said i probably forgot some :smile:

How does the XB1 CPU have lower latency memory access?.
The DDR3 in X1 has ~10% lower latency than the GDDR5 in ps4.

Though generally you are hitting the l1 & l2 cache which is where the 1.75 ghz higher clockspeed comes into play. The perfomrance difference between X1 & ps4 seems to be ~+10% in X1 favor. So its likely cpu related performance differences.

Last edited:
There is a much closer console parity than I expected from Fallout 4.
Both consoles aim for 1080p/30fps and both suffer from frame dips. There is no distinctive performance advantage on the PS4 in this case

Probably because its a great experience despite its short comings. Plus, its not like Bethesda pulled a Ubisoft and watch dogged us. The game practically looks exactly like it has since its first reveal.

So, its "OK" for poor performance, random crashes, missing shadows, stuttering, clipping and so-forth to exists, because Bethesda makes wandering/gathering/puzzle solving enjoyable?

Mind you, I'm not bashing Fallout 4 (specifically the PC edition), I'm bashing Bethesda for the obvious shoehorned ports. As a PC gamer, I wouldn't stand for, nor pay for, a rotten console port *cough* Batman: Arkham Knight *cough*. To each his own, I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back