The hardware in Kinect 2.0 looks to be amazing where is the software to show it off?

Now they want to buy the full game and make a Youtube channel called "Kids play Kinect" and have people watch the LOL worthy results.
Go for it. Entrepreneurship should be encouraged.

You might want to consider making them wash dishes, mow the lawn (in november...?), vacuum the place etc to pay for the game. You could make a youtube channel called "kids complain about doing household work" and have people watch the LOL worthy results. ;)

Is there a XB1 version?
No.

Kinect sometimes has problem with short people(kids, etc). I assume if you had tried it yourself it wouldn't have a problem. I've never really had those kind of issues, but then again all my family are adults or at least teenagers. You might try moving them closer to the sensor.

Personally if you want full body Kinect games for the kids on the XB1 I would suggest Dance Central Spotlight, Just Dance, Boom Ball/Squid Hero & Fantasia. I think the Kinect Sports Rivals is really more for older kids. Other than that I think the 360 had better collection of Kinect games. Absolutely loved Kinect Adventures & the original Kinect Sports. Also Kinectimals was nice for the younger kids. Too bad those didn't get remade for the XB1.

Tommy McClain

Try kinect party from double fine. It's hella awesome and just works, including burning your room with virtual lava.
I think there was another one too, also by Double Fine. Both of those are pretty good.

I think there was another one too, also by Double Fine. Both of those are pretty good.

They also did Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster & Double Fine Happy Action Theater. Haven't tried either one. My daughter is only 2 so I'm sure we'll get back them pretty soon.

Tommy McClain

New Xbox One Experience update drops Kinect gestures

This week's New Xbox One Experience update will remove the option to navigate the dashboard using Kinect-based gestures, Microsoft has revealed.

The feature, which has been present in Xbox One since the console's launch, allowed Kinect owners to operate the dashboard by using their hands, physically swiping through menus and selecting options by raising their hand.

But its usage was "very, very low", Microsoft's Mike Ybarra admits, leading to the platform holder's decision to drop it in the next update.

"On gestures, when we looked at the New Xbox One Experience we wanted to prioritize features that customers were asking for, plus areas of improvement from the existing Xbox One UI," Ybarra toldWindows Central. "Then, we wanted to look at the use-case model of features that take a lot of investment and say, 'is it worth continuing to invest in that area?'

"With gestures, the reality was the usage was very, very low. So for now, we've cut that from the New Xbox One Experience. So when we launch on the 12th, they won't be in the product. We'll continue to monitor and listen to feedback to see if people want them in."

Gestures can still be used in software that supports it, of course, and users will continue to be able to search for content on the dashboard using their voice.

but the gesture is really nice and helpful in X360 in certain rare case. or does the voice command in X1 is vastly superior and can lock to the person logged-in?
in X360 i cant use voice while my little cousins blabbering non-stop.

So, MS puts the final nail in Kinect's coffin?

Does Kinect offer a hardware advantage for pure voice control in comparison to eye toy? Or just software related?

I believe Kinect has hardware related signal processing capabilities that makws voice detection easier.

Though there is an effort on the beta forums to convince microsoft to keep the kinect gestures.

My personal theory with no proof or evidence at all, just a hunch, is they ditched gestures to gain cpu/system resources in the dashboard to make it faster.

I use voice mostly for turning on/off the console. Additionally, it is very helpful for pausing/playing vids in youtube and Netflix. It's great because you don't have to wake the controller to do these simple tasks.

With NXOE, I guess we may see Cortana which I could see being very helpful especially if they can link it into my Outlook and calendar.

With NXOE, I guess we may see Cortana which I could see being very helpful especially if they can link it into my Outlook and calendar.

Already mentioned before that Cortana will work with your headset. If Cortana required Kinect the gamers would return from 2013.

Already mentioned before that Cortana will work with your headset. If Cortana required Kinect the gamers would return from 2013.

I have Kinect so I'm not worried about the headset. I meant to say that Cortana is not available now via the NXOE.

I have Kinect so I'm not worried about the headset. I meant to say that Cortana is not available now via the NXOE.

Yes if you enabled Cortana during the preview, the responses were all the same as any other device that supports Cortana.

Last edited:
I never saw an option to enable Cortana. Can you do that now with the NXOE?
I don't see the option for it.

There was some sort of special code you had to do, like Konami-style.

There was some sort of special code you had to do, like Konami-style.

Binged it and found the directions of some Aussie site. It wouldn't work for me. I wonder if it was removed as the poster said he stumbled onto it accidentally. Even so, it didn't appear fully functional.

I'll patiently wait for the official release as I'd probably use it mostly to tell me weather forecast anyway...lol

Last edited:
Back