Edge of Eternity: Unity Game Engine

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Actually, Edge of Eternity is running at FullHD on PlayStation 4 but only at 720P on Xbox One. I have a huge problem for running the game on Xbox One, but the PlayStation 4 version is really okay, at 30FPS (both versions).

Question: Then I inquired about the nature of the problem on Xbox One, wondering if it was about the ESRAM, but it’s actually about the GPU:

Answer: It’s the GPU. The graphics card is really a problem; more than that, the game runs at 720P but the map of the game is not complete yet. I think PlayStation 4 version will be okay, but I’m worried about the performance of the Xbox One version; I really hope Unity will make choices to change that, because it would be really sad to make changes like dropping details, I would be really sad in terms of creativity!

What particular problems (ROPs? bandwidth? CU's disparity?) are more likely hurting XB1 GPU performance with the Unity 5 Engine? It seems Midgar Studio's has some real concerns on the future of Edge of Eternity running properly on XB1.

What type of choices would that be?

Unity's priority has to be mobile and PC - that's where the indie market is. I doubt it's optimised to use XB1's memory setup and is greatly hampered by the limited DDR3 BW. As a PC in architecture, PS4 is a much better fit for Unity. Edit: the article says ESRAM isn't the issue but GPU is, but also blames SpeedTree implementation in Unity. I guess that's your answer.

Edit: the article says ESRAM isn't the issue but GPU is, but also blames SpeedTree implementation in Unity. I guess that's your answer.

Well yes. But is this strictly related to lack of ROPs/CUs or something else GPU related? There are certain XB1 games (GTA V for example) that had to reduce vegetation/shrubbery for performance reasons... yet, I don't remember anyone mentioning the reasons why!? Other than its a performance issue...

Are there any other solutions/options within the XB1 SDK (toolchain) other than reducing resolution or scaling back detail that would help engines like Unity?

Edit: Nice looking game by the way...
1443450863-screenshot01.jpg

Last edited:
Because Unity isn't that optimized for X1 yet. I guess it hasn't been a priority of the devs.

Really?
According to this Website Microsoft appears to promote this engine to Indies who subscribe it´s ID@Xbox program. And they even offer an Xbox add-on.
Besides checking Unity versions I can find a lot of Xbox One optimizations and bug fixes, and references to the use of the lastest XDK versions (like this one). So I would be tempted to say Unity is optimizing for the console as much as for any other hardware!
The problem, I think, is on the speedtree add-on. From what I read on Unity foruns the performances really suck, and programmers are complaining about the number of draw calls (see 4th post). Maybe the current version is DX 11 only, using compatibility with Xbox One, and a DirectX 12 version of Unity can solve the problem?

Really?
According to this Website Microsoft appears to promote this engine to Indies who subscribe it´s ID@Xbox program. And they even offer an Xbox add-on.
Besides checking Unity versions I can find a lot of Xbox One optimizations and bug fixes, and references to the use of the lastest XDK versions (like this one). So I would be tempted to say Unity is optimizing for the console as much as for any other hardware!
The problem, I think, is on the speedtree add-on. From what I read on Unity foruns the performances really suck, and programmers are complaining about the number of draw calls (see 4th post). Maybe the current version is DX 11 only, using compatibility with Xbox One, and a DirectX 12 version of Unity can solve the problem?
Maybe that's the part of the engine they haven't optimized yet.

Graphics look better than FFXV to be honest with order of magnitude more foliage but would most likely be content starved at release due to low budget. I'm sure the Bone could hit 900p if The Witcher 3 is anything to go by.

Are you blind? Of course it does:

That was running on the older Unity Engine (4) and Midgar Studio is currently in the process of retooling most of the art assets and models for the Unity 5 Engine. Currently, only older Unity 4 Alpha video has been released... the new engine (new progress) has only been media snapshots. So there is hope for this new young studio...

http://forum.eoegame.com/index.php?/topic/312-hot-news/

12029561_10205197316994653_6870262431644266586_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back