Xbox One NXOE public release [includes massive bugs]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
The Xbox One has the NXOE (New Xbox One Experience) released to the public today, Thursday November 12th. It is optional to install until November 23rd when it becomes manditory to install. The version released is identical to the beta version released on November 9th. They should not have released it to the public in its current state. Here is a list of issues they have not addressed.

I had no real issues until the weekend of October 28th or so. Thats when their update made TV via HDMI in an extreme hassle and has me considering removing it from my setup. As of today here are my main issues with their TV feature:

• No TV signal when instant on (sleep mode) and boot to tv is set. I need to power cycle the Tivo Mini or the Xbox console to get the signal back.
  • When using directional controls such as fast forward, rewind, instant replay, or 30 second skip the screen goes to a static image for 5 to 8 seconds before the display updates. This makes using a DVR a royal pain.
  • When switching channels the screen takes 4 to 8 seconds before the display updates. This makes using TV a real annoyance.
  • When switching channels or using directional controls sometimes all audio is lost but the video displays fine. Sometimes you need to power cycle the Tivo Mini or the Xbox console to get audio back, it all depends on which dashboard build they had pushed out.
  • If you're in a country with 50Hz TV signals, your display will flicker or judder or stutter like crazy.
  • When having TV in snapped mode it stutters or judders or flickers like crazy even in countries with 60Hz signals.
  • They switched the voice gestures, "xbox show guide" and "xbox close" no longer shows the TV guide and returns to watching TV. "Xbox show guide" gives you the side snap center instead. You need to use "xbox oneguide" and "xbox goto tv" to get old behavior.
  • If you use "xbox watch tv" it mostly gets read as "xbox watch tbs" or "xbox watch trutv". So now you have to retrain everyone in the household how to use xbox tv with kinect voice gestures.
  • "Xbox whats on <channel>" command does not register or function at all so using the tv guide via voice is not user friendly.

All of those bugs together makes the xbox one unique feature of watching TV completely worthless. If they don't fix those bugs I will be removing the xbox from my TV watching setup.

Other annoyances:
  • You can no longer see who is in a party, you have to blindly join the party to see who is in it.
  • Random disconnects from party throughout the last couple of weeks.
  • Random controller disconnects when playing games.
  • Random flakiness of notifications like not getting any party invites at all.
  • More difficult to redeem a code, its burried somewhere deep in the store.
  • Kinect Gestures removed from the dashboard.

The one good thing that comes with the dashboard is backwards compatability, but that alone can not offset the mass of issues they have introduced.

Last edited:
I really like the NXOE, but I don't use TV. The basic experience is so much better than the original. I didn't mind the original interface, but snap was too slow, and you had to use it to manage parties and friend stuff. Doing basic things like inviting friends to parties and checking notifications is incredibly fast by comparison now. Haven't had any issues with party drops, controller disconnects, or missed notifications.

The Xbox One has the NXOE (New Xbox One Experience) released to the public today, Thursday November 12th. It is optional to install until November 23rd when it becomes manditory to install. The version released is identical to the beta version released on November 9th. They should not have released it to the public in its current state. Here is a list of issues they have not addressed.

I had no real issues until the weekend of October 28th or so. Thats when their update made TV via HDMI in an extreme hassle and has me considering removing it from my setup. As of today here are my main issues with their TV feature:

• No TV signal when instant on (sleep mode) and boot to tv is set. I need to power cycle the Tivo Mini or the Xbox console to get the signal back.
  • When using directional controls such as fast forward, rewind, instant replay, or 30 second skip the screen goes to a static image for 5 to 8 seconds before the display updates. This makes using a DVR a royal pain.
  • When switching channels the screen takes 4 to 8 seconds before the display updates. This makes using TV a real annoyance.
  • When switching channels or using directional controls sometimes all audio is lost but the video displays fine. Sometimes you need to power cycle the Tivo Mini or the Xbox console to get audio back, it all depends on which dashboard build they had pushed out.
  • If you're in a country with 50Hz TV signals, your display will flicker or judder or stutter like crazy.
  • When having TV in snapped mode it stutters or judders or flickers like crazy even in countries with 60Hz signals.
  • They switched the voice gestures, "xbox show guide" and "xbox close" no longer shows the TV guide and returns to watching TV. "Xbox show guide" gives you the side snap center instead. You need to use "xbox oneguide" and "xbox goto tv" to get old behavior.
  • If you use "xbox watch tv" it mostly gets read as "xbox watch tbs" or "xbox watch trutv". So now you have to retrain everyone in the household how to use xbox tv with kinect voice gestures.
  • "Xbox whats on <channel>" command does not register or function at all so using the tv guide via voice is not user friendly.
  • Snapped TV stutters or flickers a lot.

All of those bugs together makes the xbox one unique feature of watching TV completely worthless. If they don't fix those bugs I will be removing the xbox from my TV watching setup.

Other annoyances:
  • You can no longer see who is in a party, you have to blindly join the party to see who is in it.
  • Random disconnects from party throughout the last couple of weeks.
  • Random controller disconnects when playing games.
  • Random flakiness of notifications like not getting any party invites at all.
  • More difficult to redeem a code, its burried somewhere deep in the store.
  • Kinect Gestures removed from the dashboard.

The one good thing that comes with the dashboard is backwards compatability, but that alone can not offset the mass of issues they have introduced.

WOW! That's quite a list. The only issue I've noticed is the audio not coming for the TV when I wake it from instant on via voice. It is usually resolved by just switching channels.

Oh yeah, I did get the judder/stutter with TV snapped, but only when playing Halo 5. I've tested mine today just to be sure with Twitch and Youtube.

Everything else has not happened to me although I have not tried most of your annoyances. No random controller disconnects and haven't played any party co-op.

That said, I do think they should've delayed the release a week or so to sort some of the problems out. Hopefully they'll resolve the problems quickly.

Wow, those are some serious problems, especially the Party features and notifications being broken.

That's quite the list. My devices don't always turn off when entering standby after playing Halo 5, and I get judder for TV when resuming from standby. To fix the judder I quit OneGuide and toggle the DVR off/on. When I run OneGuide after this the judder is gone. I resolved any other TV problems around October 28th by removing my devices and re-running the initial tv setup. I also re-ran Kinect audio setup, and did the controller update. You probably did all that, but just throwing it out there. Lastly "xbox, use a code" should still work.

Yes, that is quite the list and that's just on TV. I have hit all those issues personally except for the 50Hz flicker since I'm in Ohio, USA.

I did have the xbox not shutting off all devices issue, but fixed it by going through the remove and resetup procedures. That and they pushed out 4 dashboard versions in the 4 day timespan, so not certain if it was fixed by them or by doing the new setup.

The notification flakiness might have been related to xbox live issues and not the dashboard, but its really hard to tell what the cause was. The one evening I saw no notifications for Favorites signing in and then no toasters for an achievement or two. I think I'm now receiving all the notifications, buts its hard to tell unless friends keep a list of what was sent and when.

The one night I was playing H5 while waiting for a call when I got a notification about please reconnect controller even though it showed as connected and seemed to be functional.

It will be interesting to see how the public reaction is to the new dashboard. They really needed a perfect launch.

In some regards they have improved things drastically, but in others its just a mess. I certainly hope they're working on fixing all those shortcomings.

So why not just delay the release?

Do they need more free QA? :p /troll

I agree. As fast as they've been squashing bugs, a week would've really helped. I guess they wanted it out in plenty of time for Black Friday.

That said, there are numerous welcome improvements. The ability to unsnap from the snapped menu is very welcome as is the new side tab for viewing friends on line without having to open a separate app.

I also really like the speed increase and the new tab functions. I guess you'll get use to the new recently open apps as well as the pinned apps.

I'm happy with it. The bugs mar an overall better experience though.

I imagine they felt they had no choice since they've been pushing "play your favorite 360 games on your xbox One starting Nov 12".

Are we suddenly convinced the NXOE is rife with bugs that affect all users? I have no idea how we'd know.

No I don't agree it's rife with bugs. I think as tech oriented enthusiasts, we just notice it more.
The experience has been overall positive for me with just minor nitpicky issues.

My thoughts after 2 seconds (Rangers TM):

Ok, I was used to the other thing, so this is difficult at first.

Did they take all the faux whining about ads too far? The main starting square is now dedicated to the last used thing if I get it right. Really no room for ads on the front page at all then. Also, kind of seems like a poor use of space. Do we really need the entire front page taken by a glorified "start" button?

But the main thing for me is it seems easy to find new people on XBL, which is what I need for messaging people on Destiny LFG. And it seemed easy/intuitive to find, which is good. So thumbs up I guess.

Overall I think seems pretty easy to use, I like the swing out settings bar from anywhere. The community page just basically seemed like an achievements of friends list which somehow seems pointless.

The community page shows your friends vids and screens as well. I noticed you can go to a games page and "follow" the game, so I'm guessing companies will be able to send messages, vids and stuff into your community feed.

The main tile on the home page also shows your current running game/app, like on the old home screen. For example, if you go home from Netflix the vid will keep playing in the tile.

Overall, the design is way quicker to get to all of the most common tasks you'd do. Some of the leftovers need a redesign, like the "My Games and Apps" app. It should be cleaned up. I'd also like to see the download queue inside the dashboard on the left. Otherwise, I think the general design is very good, being fast and intuitive. I'm still hoping the app story on Xbox will grow and we might see some more live tiles on the interface.

One thing I saw from the Paul Thurrot stream that I didn't know, but makes complete sense is that to get to your pinned apps/games just takes a right trigger pull. Instead of scrolling manually past your recent apps and is a great shortcut/quick and easy.

Finally got to play with the much hyped new OS. So they added more vertical space to go with the large boxes? I'm not seeing the huge differences. I guess the shortcut menu when you go left is the big addition. I thought the overall feel was still sluggish, pushing left or right in the main screen still had a noticeable latency. It was also reading everything to me until I turned it off. I also noticed that recent games has a section, but to get to the full list I had to launch an app and it took ~2secs to open. This is unacceptable to me, a list of 10 games should not take so long to access.

OI also feel the "B" button for back doesn't always do what I want. For example looking around the store screen and hitting "B" put me back in my game, I was expecting to go back to the home screen.

I'm using the beta for some time and they fixed a major issue unexpected quick but imho the UI is an unorganized mess now. As much as the sidebar is a nice functional improvement its slowness is extremely frustrating. To make an user interface enjoyable it needs to be as snappy as possible and that software engineers at MS don't "seem" to grasp that is completely puzzling to me.

To me this feels more like a slow web app skin with some kludges than a smoothly designed experience with a clear vision and structure. If the sidebar feels so delayed because of XBLive communication they should be able to keep the state synchronized all the time. If the box can run parallel downloads it should be able to keep track with these informations with no problem.

Back