Intel, Indian-engineered ONE BILLION transistor processor

OICAspork

Newcomer
I was reading a New York Times article on outsourcing engineering to India and one paragraphy caught my eye in particular... anyone know what this is:

Elsewhere in the building, one floor is out of bounds to other employees as a group of engineers works on a microprocessor chip scheduled for introduction in 2006. The 32-bit processor, designed entirely in Bangalore, is to have one billion transistors (Intel's Pentium 4, its most advanced 32-bit chip for desktop computers, has 55 million transistors).

Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/15/technology/15innovate.html?th

BTW, how many transistors is the itanium?

Sounds as if the design might have a very large on-chip L2 or L3 cache. 1 billion transistors = about 15-20 Megabytes of SRAM-based cache.

Recent 0.13 micron Itanium2 versions apparently have 410 million transistors, which will likely more than double once Intel gets Itanium ported over to its 90nm node.

Dual core

Hmmm maybe a dual core itanium or something. I doubt the "designed" the entire cpu from scratch its prolly just a combination as stated above.

Back