Rise of the Tomb Raider [XO, XOX, X360, PS4, P4Pro]

So, sometimes I read that this game has the best X1 graphics up to this date, sometimes I read that aliasing induced shimmering is super bad and distracting.

Any B3D impression?

Just read this from the Digital Foundry tech analysis:

Digital Foundry said:
Input latency: One issue we struggled with throughout the game is its input latency. Prior to receiving the game, we spent some time revisiting Tomb Raider on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 and found that Rise of the Tomb Raider feels less responsive. Aiming is more cumbersome and difficult here to the point where it feels more as if you're pushing the camera rather than directly controlling it. It's not an issue during exploration or puzzle solving, but combat suffers.

Any thoughts on this? Is this any concern? It would be a real pitty if this feels sluggish. 30fps is already bad enough when you're coming off a remake running at 60fps, but if this feels even more sluggish than the original remake did back on the PS3...? Can anyone comment on this? Maybe it sounds worse than it is...

Just got the game today and two hours in, it's definitely living up to the praise. Very beautiful lighting, high res textures and dense geometry everywhere, shaders are also very convincing, I didn't find the simmering too distracting tho, the 1080p buffer shits on any 900p upscaling honestly, especially for a game like this. Lara's model is also very impressive, too bad the cutscenes are 900p, otherwise they look almost CG like. I think this handily takes Ryse's palce as the best looking Xbone title thus far all things considered.

It has the same metacritic as the 2013 game. It looks very similar to that game, so if you like that you will likely like the new one. I was hoping CD would make more changes, but they played it safe.

I really liked the last one so if this one is like that then I'm good, the question is will I still want this in a year from now? I have my doubts, certainly not at full price so it may be as long as 2 years from now before I'd seriously consider it.

It has the same metacritic as the 2013 game. It looks very similar to that game, so if you like that you will likely like the new one. I was hoping CD would make more changes, but they played it safe.
I know I like this game! I can't wait actually to play it.

However, posts from people who already played it say that the shimmering is sometimes so extreme that it is near unplayable. I am quite sensitive to this so that is why I asked...I bet PC and PS4 will look better, but I want to play it now!

Launch date on PC seems to correspond to roughly the 16nm GPU launches so I'll see if a bit of 4K with heavy AA can handle that shimmering!

I know I like this game! I can't wait actually to play it.

However, posts from people who already played it say that the shimmering is sometimes so extreme that it is near unplayable. I am quite sensitive to this so that is why I asked...I bet PC and PS4 will look better, but I want to play it now!
Err no. I'm more than 10hrs in the game and there's nothing that makes it unplayable. On the other hand quite a few sections of the game are some of the best looking GFX I've ever witnessed in a game.

Can anybody explain this asinine 10.11 and 13.11 release date differential in today's console world?

NA retail releases for games is on Tuesday. EU releases for games is generally Friday. That's all there is to it.

That's for physical copies. Digital can launch whenever. But since physical retail is so important for consoles, that's what we have.

Regards,
SB

Finally beat Halo so I took a really quick look. Despite the shimmering edges on some geometry (not sure why it's only particular objects and not others), the game is really nice looking. If I was to say anything was lacking, it would maybe be the texture work. You can tell some are not particularly detailed, you just can't get too close to really notice that much. Overall though, it looks great.

Haven't done any combat yet. Not sure if I've really noticed any input lag yet. Combat will be the test. It certainly doesn't feel like Killzone 2, but it's been a while since I played the Tomb Raider to really be able to compare the controls.

The control is definitely sluggish alright, input lag could get annoying especially when you adjust tiny angle of movement.
Now if only the god damn xbone would let me save the screenshots and share to one drive, for some reason it won't let me save.

The control is definitely sluggish alright, input lag could get annoying especially when you adjust tiny angle of movement.
Now if only the god damn xbone would let me save the screenshots and share to one drive, for some reason it won't let me save.
Yeah for some reason I can't save my screenshots to Onedrive anymore directly from my Xbox.

You can go to either xboxdvr.com or xbox.com to see your saved screenshots though.

The visuals in this game range from "This is beautiful" to "Well ... that's ... odd." I think it weighs far more heavily towards the latter, but there are definitely some weird choices. At times you'd almost swear the renderer was bugged.

Back