Fallout 4 PC discussion

Well, my r290 (15.10 drivers) is stuck in 2d clock in this game (full screen, not windowed), so I can't really play. Don't know if I have to wait for AMD ou a game patch, but it sucks...

Well, my r290 (15.10 drivers) is stuck in 2d clock in this game (full screen, not windowed), so I can't really play. Don't know if I have to wait for AMD ou a game patch, but it sucks...

Well, I had to disable vsync in 2 inis file, no 3d clocks kick in. (iPresentInterval=0 instead of 1 in fallout4.ini and fallout4prefs.ini)

Game isn't going to win any beauty contests but I think we knew that.
Don't panic! There are moments where the game's graphics are definitely LOL-worthy. I've put about eighteen hours into the game on PS4 and the game definitely is at its worst visually during the pre-war section - I think the unnaturally pristine and shiny aesthetic works against the game,

But like a lot of open world games with rolling time and day and dynamic weather, it can look great and occasionally stunning. Dawn, dusk, nighttime with rain, mist or fog are particular highlights.

This game is NOT meant for controllers, not even for Steam Controller (or then I just can't handle it well enough yet)
Everything else is fun and smooth sailing on the Steam Controller (using DecoyOctorok’s FO4 GamePad with Precision Aim -config), but the combat is simply impossible at least for me at this point.

Picked this up. Graphics are pretty awful. I'm waiting for modders to clean it up.

From what I've played so far, it's enjoyable. Definitely not GOTY material, though. My vote still stands for The Witcher 3. The textures seem really low rez, the NPC's are devoid of emotion with their expressions, and their animations are clunky and robotic. I don't really enjoy the selection of weapons, either. Although it's supposed to be a part of the game's lore, the lack of real world weapons definitely hurts my sense of immersion. The "hand built" weaponry reminds me of Bioshock. I don't even know what year it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be futuristic, yet have a 1950's retro direction?

Also, one of the main reasons I bought it was because I'm a Massachusetts resident. While there's the occasional landmark, they're often inaccurately portrayed. There's almost no distinct Boston architecture. It's just some "futuristic" city with Boston references.

I need to give it some more time
before I form a solid opinion. But so far, I'm not too impressed.

Did you play Fallout 3 or New Vegas? New Vegas was da bomb in my opinion.

My download finished this morning so I may have to peak out of work early :devilish:

I feel Fallout 4 is basically an official overhaul of Fallout 3. It feels so similar. Even the graphics, though much improved, are very familiar because of the engine's limitations. Fallout 4 is Skyrim with guns lol. And the weird glitches. I saw a car flipping across the terrain in the distance and eventually fall through the ground. And the dog doing a finishing move on a roach in mid air because of an animation limitation. Polished a turd they did.

I suppose I see it as a much, much better Fallout 3. ;) I would prefer a game that doesn't feel at all like Fallout 3 or NV.

And yeah I agree with Dresden's take on the strangeness of the '50s in the far future thing. That's a fundamental problem with Fallout though.

It does run acceptably for me on my 6970. No problems with power management here. I have a mix of high/ultra settings at 2560x1440 and even TAA. I had to disable the silly God Rays though because they cause the blocky outlines on people.

Last edited:
Had a chance to play a few more hours last night. I did successfully hit a "GPU Recovered" CTD on my 1500MHz overclocked 980Ti G1. This overclock has been stable for what seems like forever, but I did pull down NVIDIA's "Fallout4-ready" driver which surely has slightly different performance aspects. It was while I was unloading some junk inventory into a newly built container in my newly built house, not a graphics-intensive task ;)

MSI Afterburner logging showed the GPU wasn't busy at all during the minutes leading up to the CTD. Working backwards through the data, I saw an average of ~55% GPU and ~2GB VRAM utilization with every FO4 slider at max / ultra / highest except for godrays at "high" at resolution at the native 1440p. CPU usage indicates the game is capable of using as many as six threads, but overall CPU usage was moderate at best.

Based on that data, I dialed back the GPU overclock to ~1475MHz and saw no further issues nor a performance impediment.

The graphics are entirely acceptable in my opinion, specifically because I do not play Bethesda games for the ZOMG DEM GRAFFICZ DOE effect. I do agree that a higher rez texture pack will be nice when it comes, and I do agree that the character animations are roughly equivalent to what we've seen in the past. I do sincerely feel they've tried harder on the general facial area animations, however I also admit it's got that Gamebryo look that they've all had.

Also about the flying car mentioned by someone above: I saw a deathclaw grab a car a hurl it, never seen that before. I'm not sure if this explains the aforementioned flying car, and certainly doesn't explain the car disappearing, but it's something to consider.

Also about the flying car mentioned by someone above: I saw a deathclaw grab a car a hurl it, never seen that before. I'm not sure if this explains the aforementioned flying car, and certainly doesn't explain the car disappearing, but it's something to consider.
The car was just flopping about in the distance in the forest beyond the cool marble quarry. No creatures involved. I think it was some sort of physics glitch. Maybe also related to terrain LOD.

I think I saw the Deathclaw throw a car as well. Deathclaw is way more interesting here than in FO3 that's for sure.

Read your spoiler and yeah that doesn't seem related. I do agree that the Deathclaw seems more interesting this time, and I'm hoping to see similarly more interesting behavior from other baddies.

Back in Skyrim, I performed a performance analysis here on B3D forums where I benchmarked two specific scenes with 1, 2, 4 and 6 physical cores enabled with and without hyperthreading and across 1.5/3.0/4.5GHz CPU speeds. I'm not going to have this kind of free time again until December, but if nobody else has beat me to the punch by then...

Missing textures are pretty rampant, too. I got to to some dam area, and almost the entire structure was some fucked up replacement texture. I'm pretty sure Skyrim looked, and may even still, better at launch without mods. The graphics feel rushed. The entire game feels rushed. I'm pretty sure they released it for a chance at the GOTY. But The Witcher 3 trounces that idea in virtually every sense. Speaking of The Witcher 3, the actions that CD Projekt took assure me that even delays and breaking promises sometimes results in something worth waiting for. Sure, I was pissed at the delays and missed release dates, but the final product was worth the wait. And I'd rather more developers did that instead of releasing unfinished games that take months after launch to finalize.

Hm when I play Fallout 4 for a while and then quit the game, my desktop colour settings are off. The game makes the colours more red. Anyone else seeing it?

Missing textures are pretty rampant, too. I got to to some dam area, and almost the entire structure was some fucked up replacement texture.
What video hardware are you running? I've not seen any of this, and in fact with the Afterburner logging, I'm seeing incredibly low bus usage (texture loads) and also pretty low overall VRAM usage. In my naive opinion, your challenge seems like it may be related to other systemic variables.

Sounds like older AMD cards get some quantity of the shaft; shadows blocky, performance with godrays terrible, some mention of slow initial load times.

Nope, what GPU you running Bludd?

BTW - Nice little tweak guide/thread here.
980 Ti. I am changing the colour settings in the NVIDIA control panel to "Use NVIDIA settings" and leaving them at default. Let's see what happens. Also my weapon models and pip boy disappeared. Let's see if restarting the game and loading the quicksave fixes it.

I also changed power settings to prefer maximum

Btw found this at the Bethsoft official pc forums

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1543742-fallout-4-pc-support-please-read/

I’m playing on PC and I'm often getting stuck in furniture or seeing issue with physics.

If this issue is experienced, it is recommended the user is keep the game's default INI settings. If the user's monitor is set to 60Hz, the iPresentInterval value should be 1, and if the user's monitor is set to 120Hz, the iPresentInterval value should be 2. Setting it to 0 uncaps the framerate and can cause the issues mentioned above. If the user's monitor is set to a value larger than 120Hz (such as 144Hz), they are advised to set their desktop refresh rate to 120Hz instead, when playing the game.

I am running 144Hz with Gsync on. Gonna try setting it to 120Hz and iPresentInterval = 2.

Ok the 6970 is having problems. I'm working at cleansing a factory of raiders and it seems like there is just too much geometry for the 6970 to handle. I tried messing with settings and resolution but when the factory's structure is entirely in view the frame rate just dies. I also tried using the AMD tessellation force option to minimize any of that but it did nothing.

Hopefully this isn't a CPU thing. I assume my 4.3 GHz 3570K has what it takes for this game.

Ordered up a 970.

Last edited:
@swaaye My 970 smashes this game. All options on Ultra except volumetric lighting on High, constant 60fps. I am having to run on a 1600x900 display right now because my main monitor is currently missing (long story), but 1080p should be no problem from what I've read. I even increased ugridstoload to 7 and it didn't seem to impact FPS at all (but it makes a tremendous difference in quality when looking at distant objects). Also I have an i7-3770K which is basically the same as what you have so I don't think the CPU is limiting you at all.

I went ahead and gave myself unlimited inventory capacity since this time around all the random stuff littered about is actually useful and I hate having to stop what I'm doing to run back to base and offload a bunch of weight. That's no fun IMO.

P.S. I followed that tweak guide digi posted early to set my FOV at 90 and disable mouse smoothing/acceleration. Both are absolutely necessary as far as I'm concerned.

I have a 290 and i'm running 1920x1080 TAA , 16 af , everything on ultra except godrays (high) . DOF is bokeh and ssao is on. I'm getting 60fps myself

I've put in about three hours last night after steam decrypted it. Everything is performing very well with all the goodies turned up at 1440p, but it wouldn't be a Bethesda game if there wasn't at least one unexplained glitch... This was me when I arrived home from work today::

PQU81zI.jpg

I fired it up, and there was no keyboard or mouse activity after I pressed any key to start... So wait, I pressed a key and it worked, and then subsequently nothing at all? I swapped to desktop and back, nothing. I exited the game (right-clicked the task bar icon, closed it) and then restarted to the same problem. Went through a couple iterations of WTFBBQ. Finally I hit Das Google, and it turns out others have this problem after they've ever had a gamepad controller connected. There was a line item in the Fallout4Prefs.ini that had to be set back to zero in order to regain KB/M functions.

I haven't connected a game pad to this PC in six months, long before the Win10 migration. It worked fine yesterday, this couldn't possibly be the problem right?

Yup. WTF, Bethesda?

Oh well, works now, back to the wasteland!

I believe that you just hit the wrong 'any key' :yep:

Back