Fallout 4 PC discussion

I played around for a bit. It runs almost adequately on Ultra on the 6970 lol. At 2560x1440 it was ranging 10-40fps, I'd guess. But alas there are some visual glitches with the volumetric stuff I guess. Blockiness around people in the presence of the volumetric effect.

And why in the world is there no FOV adjustment. The ini tweaks don't seem to work either. I slowly become queasy with the default.

2015-11-09_00001.jpg

Fallout 4: PC graphics performance benchmark review
It is time to conclude this article. We have a great time testing the game. Fallout 4 is a truly lovely title with nice game-play, many of you are going to really like it. The graphics can be classified as okay, but can be a lot better .. and that's the honest truth as the game rendering engine is heavily outdated if you ask me. It still is a good game though as the combination of the story-line, game-play and visual experience definitely make this a worthwhile game. With pretty good quality settings modern age graphics card will do fine with the game. As always, up-to Full HD at 1920x1080/1200 an 2GB~3GB graphics card will be sufficient. Once you pass that resolution 3GB~ 4GB or better is recommended. So up-to 1080p a GeForce GTX 960 or a Radeon R9 380 would be a pretty good match in terms of valuer for money. For 2560x1440 a GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 290/290X/390 is a really good value for money offering.

Remember our gameworks remarks, if you are on AMD Radeon hardware just lower shadows and god-rays one notch and you should already be fine on your framerates. Fallout 4 is a nice game-play title with a terrific story-line, yet OK graphics.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/fallout_4_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,1.html

They changed the decrypting in Steam process after GTA5 to use less space. Fallout 4 will be my first time testing it.
FYI. Fallout 4 managed to decrypt with only 11 GB free on the drive it's installed on. GTAV needed more than 2x the space to decrypt so Steam's optimisation of the process certainly works.

Why do I love so much watching Conan make fun of people who play videogames like me?

I assume that people with GCN AMD cards don't have big pixely blocks around people in the fog? Reading around online I see that it may be the god rays effect. There weren't any issues while roaming the vault.

I don't think Bethesda even supports AMD VLIW cards so maybe this shouldn't be surprising.

Last edited:
I assume that people with GCN AMD cards don't have big pixely blocks around people in the fog? Reading around online I see that it may be the god rays effect. There weren't any issues while roaming the vault.

I don't think Bethesda even supports AMD VLIW cards so maybe this shouldn't be surprising.
Guess it could be an issue with older cards. Minimum requirement is 7870 so probably not even tested on 6970, or was tested and found issues and performance problems so hey didn't bother.

The game includes the DirectX June 2010 redistributable. That's actually older than the Radeon 6970. ;)

Last edited:
I'm amazed that the few minutes I spent checking it out, with the rivatuna OSD thing on, that I wasn't totally bottlenecked by my Phenom II x4, gpu usage was pegged,figured it wouldn't be threaded enough to run well on an old quadcore.

I've noticed a few things. I think it runs vsync + triple buffering. It's not locking to factors of the refresh rate.

FOV can be changed in the console. Type "fov 90 90". Change to whatever you like. It might reset at times but I'm not sure when yet.

Yeah it doesn't look like Witcher 3 but so far I'm having a lot of fun. Runs butter smooth on a GTX 970 too. Man it's great to be back in the wasteland.

I'm amazed that the few minutes I spent checking it out, with the rivatuna OSD thing on, that I wasn't totally bottlenecked by my Phenom II x4, gpu usage was pegged,figured it wouldn't be threaded enough to run well on an old quadcore.
Well it runs on Jaguar cores on the consoles. Threading is probably pretty important.

True, but given the old tech I was a bit skeptical. btw noticed my first bug odd pauses in dialog and subtitles don't update when it it resumes from the stutter or whatever.
Movement and looking around/aiming with the mouse feels a bit odd btw, mouse smoothing or something? Not horrible, just doesn't feel totally direct.

Wow they don't even support 21:9 without ini edits and no native vsync?

Wow they don't even support 21:9 without ini edits and no native vsync?
Native vsync is pretty damned hard to disable, it's on by default and to turn it off you have to edit two .ini files and force it off in your GPU's control center.

I'm enjoying the game so far, I like it.

Does native vsync somehow stop adaptive vsync solutions from working properly?

I've put in about three hours last night after steam decrypted it. Everything is performing very well with all the goodies turned up at 1440p, but it wouldn't be a Bethesda game if there wasn't at least one unexplained glitch... This was me when I arrived home from work today::

PQU81zI.jpg

I fired it up, and there was no keyboard or mouse activity after I pressed any key to start... So wait, I pressed a key and it worked, and then subsequently nothing at all? I swapped to desktop and back, nothing. I exited the game (right-clicked the task bar icon, closed it) and then restarted to the same problem. Went through a couple iterations of WTFBBQ. Finally I hit Das Google, and it turns out others have this problem after they've ever had a gamepad controller connected. There was a line item in the Fallout4Prefs.ini that had to be set back to zero in order to regain KB/M functions.

I haven't connected a game pad to this PC in six months, long before the Win10 migration. It worked fine yesterday, this couldn't possibly be the problem right?

Yup. WTF, Bethesda?

Oh well, works now, back to the wasteland!

Back