Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

You'd need an OS layer, or per title, to create the virtual theatre. Maybe in the breakout box. There's been plenty of discussion in this thread on that point if you want to search.

Btw the frame rate up er on VR uses the sensor data too right? This means the artefacts can be minimized to imperceptible hopefully. And looking at psvr gameplay videosvideos, I can't see any artefact from upping the frame rate.

I personally use frame rate up er for playing games and watching videos, especially Anime. It is awesome but introduce lag.

But in VR it reduce lag. How? O_O

In VR it's not interpolating frame, it modifies an "old" frame while waiting for the next one. It just moves and rotate it based on the head movement that occured since the frame was rendered.

In a TV it waits for a new frame to calculate an inbetween image, which lags.

Btw the frame rate up er on VR uses the sensor data too right?
Yes. It has the lowest possible latency with the most immediate sensor readings affecting the frame presentation.
This means the artefacts can be minimized to imperceptible hopefully. And looking at psvr gameplay videosvideos, I can't see any artefact from upping the frame rate.
There aren't artefacts because it's not processing the image. It just moves it slightly.
But in VR it reduce lag. How? O_O
It's doing something a lot simpler! PSVR takes the current frame rendered wherever you are looking, and moves it a fraction based on how much your head has moved. Technically it's inaccurate, performing a 2D transformation that disregards the perspective of the 3D scene. However, it's so slight and so short that it seems to not matter, and instead provides an important visual continuity on fast movements.

Ah that's why it's so fast. Instead of waiting for the next X ms for the new frame, it very quickly create the new frame by transforming the current frame to follow the sensor data.

Thanks a lot shifty

The reprojection could correct line by line.... It has velocity info, and knows each line's window of emission on the timeline. This would be cool, right? No need for global update, then.

Remember that the visible shearing is dependent on what your eye is doing relative to object motion on the screen rather than necessarily what your head is doing, so the artifacts of a rolling scan-out won't be equal for every portion of the screen, nor would it be predictable by knowing your head motion.

I wouldn't be too concerned about this for this generation of VR - the low resolution masks a lot of things that will need to get ironed out in a few years. The geometric distortion caused by motion of the eye, fudge-factor inaccuracy of eye/camera placement, FOV, etc are probably more significant than 120Hz rolling scan-out distortion, and none of that is going to be solved until we've got eye tracking.

Shu reiterated their approach on price, I hope nobody still thinks it will be $399, it seems very clear. Unless I'm way off with my BOM estimate.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/in...l-reality-games-need-their-own-rating-system/
We tend to price hardware not to make money from it but to get as many install base so that content can be sold. This is the same kind of thinking in the way we are approaching PlayStation VR
So I am guessing the BOM at $170 headset, $190 with camera, $240 with cam and a pair of Move.

Retailers might make a little profit, so it could be 3 skus at $199, $249 and $299.

isnt the gap between 200 250 and 300 too close? or maybe that is the point, so most people will get the 300 bundle complete package.

$199 sans tax at exchange rates is £132 + 20% VAT == £158. Add some margins for 'discounts' and £200 is about right for a $199 device. So I wouldn't be surprised if a $199 headset released at £199, there'd be lots of grumbling saying the US gets everything cheap, and then everyone will buy a headset at a budget £160 saving £40 from Amazon or ShopTo or whoever and thinking themselves very clever for managing to buy at a discount below RRP.

Oh they'll milk the UK 'localisation/extra-costs/it's-the-UK-and-stuff/because' like they usually do. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

But they don't! Hasn't been that way for years. Console prices are pretty in line overall, excepting the crazy RRP markups the UK gets. But none of these items are sold at RRP for longer than a couple of weeks at launch.

Quick comparison - PS4 Drake bundle = $350 Amazon.com, £290 Amazon.co.uk. $350 == £232.37 + 20% == £278.84. Depending on what day of the week you compare thanks to exchange rates, it could be a little closer or not.

$199 sans tax at exchange rates is £132 + 20% VAT == £158. Add some margins for 'discounts' and £200 is about right for a $199 device. So I wouldn't be surprised if a $199 headset released at £199, there'd be lots of grumbling saying the US gets everything cheap, and then everyone will buy a headset at a budget £160 saving £40 from Amazon or ShopTo or whoever and thinking themselves very clever for managing to buy at a discount below RRP.

I would, whilst the exchange rate isn't 'fair' it's not a straight $ to £ - I would have thought $250 = £200

isnt the gap between 200 250 and 300 too close? or maybe that is the point, so most people will get the 300 bundle complete package.
I based it on the msrp of the camera and moves.
It's even too much, because right now on amazon the camera is $39 and the moves are $27 each. These two devices have been sold for quite a while, by the millions, and they have reached an economy of scale, even at retail, for profit.

Maybe there won't be any bundle and they'll let the retailers make their own. Even if the headset is less aggressively priced at $249, it still looks good with an ultimate bundle with camera, moves, and bundled games for maybe $349.

And a lot of people already have both the moves and the camera, so they at least need to sell the headset by itself.

Last edited:
Shu reiterated their approach on price, I hope nobody still thinks it will be $399, it seems very clear. Unless I'm way off with my BOM estimate.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/in...l-reality-games-need-their-own-rating-system/

So I am guessing the BOM at $170 headset, $190 with camera, $240 with cam and a pair of Move.

Retailers might make a little profit, so it could be 3 skus at $199, $249 and $299.

Glad to hear Sony is going after the mass market of casual gamers, and not just a portion (niche) of hardcore gaming consumers. If Sony can effectively usher in VR to the masses as they did with DVD/Blu-ray... then this would be a positive thing towards future PC VR gaming and future consoles.

I would, whilst the exchange rate isn't 'fair' it's not a straight $ to £ - I would have thought $250 = £200
It would going by my calcs. $250 == £166 current exchange + 20% VAT == £200. Plus 'margin' to reduce the price down to sell to consumers, so list it at £250 in order to sell it at £200.

I'm keeping my expectations at 399, but there is a possibility they may go down to 349 to match the PS4's price. We'll see.

After watching the presentation again, where he said the external processor is doing much of the heavy lifting for VR, and even that it's being modified to be much more powerful... I am thinking of modifying my signature. :cry:

Pretty sure I got the BOM wrong. Any idea?

Display $50
Optics $20
Processor $25
Memory $5
Misc IC, tranceivers, pcb $15
LEDs $10
Assembly, plastic, cabling, connectors $40
Power supply $5

Total $170 ???

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to put together a series of videos explaining how PlayStation VR works in great detail. I've got most of the up-to-date info already but there are still a few details that need to be addressed. Hopefully someone can help me out finding/figuring out the missing bits...

Here are 3 questions that I can't seem to find an definitive answer for:

1) About reprojection. As far as I know, the Time Warping technique used in the Oculus Rift SDK doesn't just shift/scale/rotate the image. It also adds some parallax using the Z-Buffer data. It is my understanding that reprojection in based on the same technique but I'm not sure it does parallax as well. Interviews I've read/watched only mention "simple" picture manipulation, with no re-rendering involved. Anyone knows for sure?

2) How does PSVR deal with different IPDs? Both Rift and Vive have a slider to adjust distance between lenses. What about PSVR? I know you can digitally adjust the distance between left and right images but what about the lenses? Shouldn't they slide as well?

3) I'm not sure I properly understood what the breakout box does with regards to barrel distortion. More specifically, I'd like to know whether the PS4 outputs a predistorted image which the breakout box then undistorts before sending it to the social screen (the HMD screen getting fed with the original, pre-distorted image) or the PS4 outputs an undistorded image to the breakout box (the left part of which gets upscaled and sent to the social screen rightaway) which the breakout unit distorts before sendig it to the HMD display. To simplify: does the breakout unit distort or undistort the picture? I guess the breakout box undistorts/upscales for the social screen, while letting the predistored image "pass through" for the HMD screen. Is that correct?

Any help in clearing these thing up would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Back