Nintendo GOing Forward.

Seriously there's a lot of solid revisionism here, Nintendo didn't have a high tech console only with the Wii then Wii U, that's 2 consoles among a lot that were high end, so stop brandishing that as a forever true fact !
Portables were always about "rethinking withered technology".

Seriously there's a lot of solid revisionism here, Nintendo didn't have a high tech console only with the Wii then Wii U, that's 2 consoles among a lot that were high end, so stop brandishing that as a forever true fact !

In late 2016, 2 consoles will have meant 10 years of underperforming hardware.

Wasn't GameCube also behind?

Architectures back then were too different so it was difficult to make valuable direct comparisons, but at least in multiplatform titles the Gamecube could achieve at least visual parity with the PS2 if not better graphics on certain ports (e.g. Resident Evil 4). The XBox was in a whole other league by using a much more modern NV2x GPU, a Pentium III and 64MB of UMA though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamecube had major disadvantages to PS2.
DVD: Textures and content had to be dialed back.
-2 buttons. I know a game where GC version does not have center camera functionality.
24 bit colour. Banding and strange lines in progressive scan.

Interesting info I learned recently: "Fun fact: PS2 can do sqrt() faster in wall time than the PPC970FX based cores... :)"
https://twitter.com/lance_gilbert/status/657345899861970944

Nintendo didn't have a high tech console only with the Wii then Wii U, that's 2 consoles among a lot that were high end
Gamecube wasn't exactly "high end", it was decently efficient middle of the road, which gave it OK performance, but its odd memory layout undoubtedly held it back (super-slow A-RAM, and then three separate pools of fast RAM of different small or small-ish sizes, out of which GPU could only texture from one of them (the smallest. :p)

Gamecube wasn't exactly "high end", it was decently efficient middle of the road, which gave it OK performance

Gamecube was so good that in 15 years they only managed to double it's power! :O

Annyway I had a gamecube, enjoyed it, and remember that almost any multiplatform had better texture compared to ps2.
The minidvd has been a problem at one point, but granted better seek times and decent transfer speed.

Gamecube was so good that in 15 years they only managed to double it's power! :O

9f4af6ade7.gif
OH MY!

I too am interested where those specs came from. I haven't seen any numbers really spoken of, just the hazy statements about it being powerful.

If edram even manufacturable on nodes that small? I'll guess at 32MB of embedded SRAM like the Xbone. It would probably facilitate and backwards compatibility with the WiiU's 32MB pool.

If edram even manufacturable on nodes that small? I'll guess at 32MB of embedded SRAM like the Xbone. It would probably facilitate and backwards compatibility with the WiiU's 32MB pool.
IBM had some stuff cooking with 14nm (I guess GF has it).

How are the nintendo development tools nowadays?
This should be an important area of improvement if they want third parties...

If edram even manufacturable on nodes that small?
Why wouldn't it be? If regular DRAM scales this low, then why not this also? Anyway, it wouldn't have to be eDRAM, it could just as well be an Intel "crystalwell" type separate die, hooked up by something akin to wide I/O.

Why wouldn't it be? If regular DRAM scales this low, then why not this also?
It's harder to do with making it CMOS compatible i.e. the embedded part.

Anyway, it wouldn't have to be eDRAM, it could just as well be an Intel "crystalwell" type separate die, hooked up by something akin to wide I/O.
It's probably a bit more feasible for Intel to do since they make it themselves (also better selling price).

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it be? If regular DRAM scales this low, then why not this also?

Regular DRAM and eDRAM have very different structure. Regular DRAM has a huge capacitor built on top of the (very thin) metal stack, away from the silicon. This is incompatible with a tall metal stack needed for logic. Modern eDRAM typically drills the capacitor into the silicon substrate.

It's probably a bit more feasible for Intel to do since they make it themselves (also better selling price).
Yes, well, we can't have everything can we?
Anyway, Nintendo have done MCMs since the Wii first came out ages ago now. It's not a big step, nor, a crazy expensive one either I would think.

Modern eDRAM typically drills the capacitor into the silicon substrate.
And that is incompatible with shrinking?

Back