*twirly* Bethesda tech trade-offs

The problem with this is that they haven't fixed the problem with Bethesda's previous dialogue systems (that their writing is awful) rather they have eliminated that risk entirely by hiding dialogue and not exploiting the power of a good CHA system

I was only talking about the mechanics of the conversation system, I'm really expecting very little from the story and dialogue because.. Bethesda. I do get your point, I really do! But I continue to reserve judgement until I've experienced the game myself.

I think truly dynamic and reactive dialogue is very tricky to do, particularly if you're taking that brave (and restrictive) route to have everything voice acted, but I applaud them for trying to fix the problem even if the new system also isn't great.

As Albert Einstein said, "failure is success in progress"

You're not wrong I guess for me the cut is a bit deeper as they seem to have finally made shooting fun, why cruel Bethesda must you tease me so! :D

Other than that even the blurry cam footage shows a game world that is more detailed than before and with better animations so it's visibly sharper than before at least, more detailed thoughts will have to wait until there's better assets than potato-cam to mull over

You're not wrong I guess for me the cut is a bit deeper as they seem to have finally made shooting fun, why cruel Bethesda must you tease me so! :D
I have a confession. Until I watched some playthroughs I didn't even realise a non-VATS combat play through was even viable in Fallout 3. Obviously it's point and shoot, and you can use VATS to line up your shot, but I never thought to persevere. That and because VATS combat is really fun. It's one of those game mechanics that never got old.

I'm really curious how I'll play Fallout 4 given the shooting looks pretty good!

I've always wondered why every first person RPG with guns hasn't just ripped off Ion Storm's skill system from Deus Ex (the 'jittery cursor'), it negated player skill and forced shots to miss in the same way dice rolls do but without the feeling of having been cheated of your hit 'Goddammit VATS the cursor was on their head Aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!111111'

The game's graphics and engine have progressed enormously There game is employing physically based rendering and, finally, volumetric lighting. It's not like things are standing still.

We've only seen it running on consoles with relatively puny CPUs and limited resources. Before you write it off, why not wait to see what it looks like on a decent PC?
I haven't seen anything to indicate their engine is now PBR, any links?

I haven't seen anything to indicate their engine is now PBR, any links?

Todd Howard is narrating - go to 10.30 in.

Oh and 10.10 in: "player freedom remains our absolute number one goal".

Cool thanks. Though it doesn't seem as apparent in screen shots so far, I'm sure it should make a significant visual upgrade.

New post on Bethesda.net about the graphics improvements to GameBryo/Creation is very light on the details and is PC focused but it does list what improvements they've made except for those they don't want to 'spoil' SMH. I'm guessing at least some of these are PC exclusive just because if you've been working closely with NV the fancy stuff usually tanks AMD cards and thus would be unsuitable for XB1/PS4

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/the-graphics-technology-of-fallout-4/2015/11/04/45

• Tiled Deferred Lighting
  • Temporal Anti-Aliasing
  • Screen Space Reflections
  • Bokeh Depth of Field
  • Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
  • Height Fog
  • Motion Blur
  • Filmic Tonemapping
  • Custom Skin and Hair Shading
  • Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation
  • Volumetric Lighting
  • Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading
One of the shocking things for me is how basic some of this stuff is SSAO, SSR, etc are not that new

One of the shocking things for me is how basic some of this stuff is SSAO, SSR, etc are not that new

That's basically a checklist of everything the baseline current-gen game should have. To me it says that they're feature complete vs other game engines. I think PBR + SSR + Volumetrics will remain the baseline for this whole gen and the quality of those renderers is great, but I hope someone does something exceptional to shake it up at some point.

New post on Bethesda.net about the graphics improvements to GameBryo/Creation is very light on the details and is PC focused but it does list what improvements they've made except for those they don't want to 'spoil' SMH. I'm guessing at least some of these are PC exclusive just because if you've been working closely with NV the fancy stuff usually tanks AMD cards and thus would be unsuitable for XB1/PS4

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/the-graphics-technology-of-fallout-4/2015/11/04/45

• Tiled Deferred Lighting
  • Temporal Anti-Aliasing
  • Screen Space Reflections
  • Bokeh Depth of Field
  • Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
  • Height Fog
  • Motion Blur
  • Filmic Tonemapping
  • Custom Skin and Hair Shading
  • Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation
  • Volumetric Lighting
  • Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading

working with NVidia ? cool i'm not picking up my preorder on this. Will wait for it to drop in price.

You mean, wait for the Early Access to finish so that all the bug fixes and content are packaged together in the so called "GOTY Edition".

And the NVidia water tesselation is reduced to one triangle per pixel so AMD's GPUs (consoles include) don't choke.

Cheers

Back