DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

30 races in on the free version and only two finishes at 11th place, the rest at 12th. I suck but it's still a lot of fun.

Any suggestions on what path to take to improve?

Judging from the images i think it's stereoscopic (see how the screen seems off center). It's also re-projected at 120fps

zHZD4TL.png

Is the VR version stereoscopic, or is it just 60 fps?
I thought the whole point of VR was 3D and therefore what we now call stereoscopic, right? Otherwise there would be no sense of depth and not much point in the whole thing.

I do hope that's going to be standard. Ain't nobody got time for a VR set that's just used as a big 2D screen in front of your eyes.

A game feeds morpheus with 120fps stream. Morpheus shows every odd frame for one eye and every even frame for another. This introduces 3d effect.

When stream is 60fps the reprojection is involved to make it 120.

This seems to be DF's thing now. They speculate, sometimes wildly, and present speculation as facts and these only get corrected if a dev or industry person reads the analysis. If I have to revisit or correct my analysis as much as DF articles seem to attract corrections and updates,I wouldn't be employed!

Come on DF, you're better than this!

A game feeds morpheus with 120fps stream. Morpheus shows every odd frame for one eye and every even frame for another.

That's how a TV produces a 3D effect, I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on with PSVR.

From what I understand both the left and right lens only see half of the screen each; that's why we have 960x1080/eye. The complete screen refreshes at 120hz, each individual refresh updates both the left and the right eye (i.e., both "screens"), so it's not doing one and then the other like a TV does.

3D TVs will give a 1920x1080 image to each eye (for active 3D TVs anyway) at every other refresh. The PSVR is more like a passive 3D TV where each eye gets 1/2 resolution.

But you gotta keep in mind that the PSVR is giving a HUGE increase in hz and displayed frames.

Edit: each eye gets 120hz with PSVR, not 60/eye.

Active 3D TV:
Frame 1: Left eye receives an image (the lens is transparent) while the right eye gets given a black frame from the glasses (not transparent).
Frame 2: Right eye receives an image while the left eye gets given a black frame from the glasses.

Each eye is given a unique viewpoint that’s presumably 2-3 inches apart.

Passive 3D TV:
Frame 1: left eye sees every other vertical line on the TV, with a lens that filters the other lines (i.e., a resolution of 1920x540). The right eye see the remaining other 50% of the screen and lines.
Frame 2: exactly the same happens, each eye sees half of the screen/resolution divided by every other line.
Active 3D gives a superior 3D image as each eye receives full resolution.

PSVR:
Frame 1: the whole 1920x1080 screen is updated with a new image. The screen is physically divided into two, with each lens viewing each half of the screen. Both left and right eye views a new 960x1080 image each with every single refresh.
Frame 2: this is repeated for each 120hz (reprojected or not) image.

PSVR does not alternate each refresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the VR version stereoscopic, or is it just 60 fps?

It is both stereoscopic and 60fps (reprojected to 120hz).

It'd be both impossible and daft to display a 2D image on PSVR.

1. The lens positioning would need to change from looking at half the screen to the whole screen. And you'd be crosseyed.

2. They'd both still be displaying a 1920x1080 refresh at the same rate, which takes approximately the same processing power.

Last edited by a moderator:
A game feeds morpheus with 120fps stream. Morpheus shows every odd frame for one eye and every even frame for another.

As stated, no. You are completely wrong. PS4 renders DC in 1080p60 stereoscopic SBS with anti-fisheye lens filter on top of it [like this]. This is processed to 120fps [with timewarp for every new created frame] and is sent to the headset. Each eye gets 120fps.

This introduces 3d effect.
3D effect is there because each eye gets its viewpoint [SBS 3D rendering of each frame].

That's how a TV produces a 3D effect, I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on with PSVR.

From what I understand both the left and right lens only see half of the screen each; that's why we have 960x1080/eye.

I'm not sure I follow you on the 'left and right only see half of the screen' - the whole reason why we have a 3 dimensional seeing is because our two eyes see the same objects from two slightly different angles. A greater overlap means closer, a smaller overlap when both objects are seen nearly identical from both angles means farther away. So in order to create a 3d image, you will have overlapping information; essentially the same scene projected twice with the differing object those that are represented closer to your field-of-view.

Not going to dispute the resolution - in order to hit framerate and processing targets, a lower resolution makes sense. I'd argue though that a 960x1080 is probably an anamorphic format.

Or did I completely misunderstand your post?

Here's a photo of the Oculus Rift DK2 teardown.uploadfromtaptalk1446140260279.jpeg

That's the screen being taken away from the lenses' section. I'm absolutely certain the PSVR is the same.

Imagine drawing a line right down the centre of your TV; the left section will be for your left eye, the right section for your right. So you look forwards. If you had the complete screen for each eye, your eyeballs will have to go crosseyed to see at screen that close to your face.

This is what you see on a VR screen
-nnhnEEIyv-a9YUEN6YZFImZieySh_8p46-8sYYkyFtd4uca5rm5JNTwt-C6A8kv-7h9=h900

Two different frames from different perspective refreshing at the same time. The lenses are there to give you the illusion that what you see is actually 3 dimensional, much like what you see with your own eyes IRL, albeit at a significantly more limited FOV.

So Driveclub at 60hz re-projected at 120hz pretty much means the screen is displaying 120 frames every second for both eyes and it cannot handle each eye individually, it's one screen.

Last edited:
Back