Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do hand drawn textures and they seem to have removed the AO. So no, the difference cannot be attributed to asset creation methods alone.

8nlxm5.jpg

They didn't "remove" AO, it just probably has a LOD or is not being used in the spectator mode (where that image is from). You can easily spot AO in the gameplay segments of every video.

Quick and dirty example
capturevkshg.jpg

Last edited:
They didn't "remove" AO, it just probably has a LOD or is not being used in the spectator mode (where that image is from). You can easily spot AO in the gameplay segments of every video.

Quick and dirty example
capturevkshg.jpg
I don't know.. There are hints of occlusion on static geometry, where they are probably baking it, and beneath the destroyable objects but not on the ground that they are touching.

From Gamerysde: (click to enlarge)

You can see occlusion behind the pipes, that are static. You cannot see occlusion on the ground beneath the sacks that are ready to explode, only darkening on the sacks themselves. No character occlusion on characters, that I know for sure they used on TLoU single player, not sure about the multi. No AO underneath rocks.

KtRWG2Zl.png

A) AO for static geometry
B) No AO on character
C) No Character contact shadows on world geometry
D) No AO under dynamic objects (Those look like flying, but they are not)
E) Sacks have a darkened lining at the bottom, which doesn’t match the ground.
They seem to be destructible, after all. But the faked / baked AO doesn’t match the ground
which seems to show a small hint of low frequency AO (probably baked, as destroyed sacks
may not be vanishing completely after being blown up but could be leaving parts on ground.

Disclaimer: I hate haloing AO as much as the next guy, better without it than with, but I really liked character AO (contact shadows for characters) on TLoU for example.. I like AO when it's subtle, but just wanting to point out the scaling back of the MP and I find Battlefront's visuals above the Uncharted Multi, whether because of asset creation or rendering tech.

Edit: Just checked, TLoU employs character contact shadows on world geometry for both the player and the opponents in multiplayer, but it seems to be missing here. Edit: I guess contact shadows isn't entirely gone, but it may be a thing with the LOD and characters other than the player.

Last edited:
I like the visuals and I like the mechanic for swinging on the rope. You don't just swing in a straight line. You can swing in an arc, around a corner, which is pretty damned cool.

I think i like the lighting and animation the most. I just hope the microtransactions are not as bad as TLOU because i'll probably won't play as much MP as i'd like to if that's the case.

Eveything looks a bit too flat in MP to my taste.
I am a bit disappointed as well to see that once again MP is all about being bullet sponges and bunny hopping.

The extent of the downgrade is unbelievable. On the first reveal trailer, ND showed a fully moddeled fly on nates forehead. Here, flies have been replaced by cheap particles!! This is a disaster. De-preordering right now.

/irony

Since it's 60fps they should just get rid of the awful low sample motion blur.

Uncharted DLC: "L.Scofield and his fight against low sample moblur"

"Truly hideous in motion 9/10" - IGN
"Not as good as Battlefront 8.7" - Gametrailers
"Meh, all games suck anyway 7/10" - Giant Bomb

:LOL:

On a more serious note, i think the OBM used in the collection looks pretty decent in motion, maybe they could use that? I mean, it's technically the same engine.

Cannot believe this models are real-time in-game . everything about nate's modeling is just insane, absolutely INSANE !:
rXWoQb8.jpg

Nd5pDtp.jpg

Ve31c55.jpg

That skin shader, WoW:runaway:

I am curious to see how many polys they are using for SP stuff for the main characters, i am guessing around 100k like The Order/Second Son? Skin deformation also looks excellent and they said in an interview they will be rendering blood flow under the skin as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back