Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

I agree inventory and distribution costs go away for the publisher but they are comparable to the cost of bandwidth and online storage given the efficiency of modern logistics and Just In Time practices for physical media. With publishers able to eliminate physical stock risk there is no need for them to eat the cost of clearance sales (typically well below RRP) to dump aged or slow moving stock the way they do now with physical media.

As an example Alien: Isolation is €69.99 on PSN & XBL, €50 on Steam and €30 via Gamestop (PS4 disc). Steam is useful here as an imperfect example of what the RRP for titles on console might be if publishers could just eliminate physical inventory cost altogether as they essentially have on PC. Without the need to placate a retailer with their inventory woes the digital RRPs (which the publishers set) have stayed higher than the retail price of console titles despite that pie being split many more ways than the digital PC price.

With console online stores being monopolies owned by the platform holders the digital RRPs are identical to retail console costs as the platform holder always needs to keep retail onside to ensure they stock the hardware. The distorting effect of this can be seen in how despite PSN & XBL both offering A:I for as low as €19.99 on sale they return to full retail RRP rather than match the actual street price so that retail will typically be on par or cheaper outside of sales.

So even if publishers are happy to cut out the retailer margin and cut the price to the consumer as on PC the platform holder will always have retails back in the digital arena. Conversely this means that for the consumer retail prices for physical copies are often lower than that the publisher would choose for themselves in all digital future. I'm ignoring the effect of key resellers in the PC space as they are an artefact of the competitive digital retail market on PC which is an impossibility on console.

How naive to think that at least Sony wouldn't take the chance to put a brand new UHD Bluray drive in the next PlayStation, and try to sell us overpriced but beautiful looking movies all over again. It just won't have the same appeal as the last few generations.

How naive to think that at least Sony wouldn't take the chance to put a brand new UHD Bluray drive in the next PlayStation, and try to sell us overpriced but beautiful looking movies all over again. It just won't have the same appeal as the last few generations.
will UHD even matter when they launch a new playstation ? We will be into 8k tvs at that point. When the ps3 launched in 2006 1080p was the best for what another 5 years after its launch ?

It will surely matter a lot more than 8k, which is going to be even less relevant than 4K is to real people today.

Waiting for 8k is pretty much like skipping 4G and waiting for 5G networks now.... Come on!

will UHD even matter when they launch a new playstation ? We will be into 8k tvs at that point. When the ps3 launched in 2006 1080p was the best for what another 5 years after its launch ?
I'm sorry you got scammed by microsoft into buying over a hundred hddvd discs, but your anti-bluray crap have become just noise. Every single one of your predictions ended up hilariously wrong. We have yet to hear your explanation for why all three consoles have a bluray drive today, none have a DD-only SKU, even microsoft failed to make one. Still you've been claiming bluray is dead since 2008.

DVD was the best quality that consumers had access to, for 10 years.
Bluray is the best image quality today, it's been another 10 years.
Bluray 4K will be the best for another 10 years.
There's no justification for 8K if you need a 100" TV to get the full benefit of 4K.

You can argue about the convenience of netflix or other streaming services, but for image quality and consistent availability of all titles in existence, there is no contest. Optical have always been the gold standard for videophiles. There are no indication it will change anywhere in the near future.

I'm sorry you got scammed by microsoft into buying over a hundred hddvd discs, but your anti-bluray crap have become just noise. Every single one of your predictions ended up hilariously wrong. We have yet to hear your explanation for why all three consoles have a bluray drive today, none have a DD-only SKU, even microsoft failed to make one. Still you've been claiming bluray is dead since 2008.

DVD was the best quality that consumers had access to, for 10 years.
Bluray is the best image quality today, it's been another 10 years.
Bluray 4K will be the best for another 10 years.
There's no justification for 8K if you need a 100" TV to get the full benefit of 4K.

You can argue about the convenience of netflix or other streaming services, but for image quality and consistent availability of all titles in existence, there is no contest. Optical have always been the gold standard for videophiles. There are no indication it will change anywhere in the near future.

Well Sorta ,

Bluray launched in June 2016 , so its not quite 10 years until Bluray 4k .

Bluray also failed to sell any where near what DVD sold and Bulray 4k will most likely fail to sell what Bluray did let alone DVD.

8k TVs will be released and they will sell and people will want a format to go with it. Streaming services will continue to over take physical media. A better format will come out and over take 4k Bluray.

Frozen made 325 million in dvd and bluray last year.

BR 4K is 128Mbps, 12bits dynamic range, rec2020.

Streaming 15Mbps 4k looks like shit, it's worse than an upscaled bluray, and you are wasting the capabilities of your 4k TV. You think we need 8k streaming more than 4k bluray? This is just stupid.

in dvd and bluray. Dvd and Bluray. DVD ...

In order to move bluray's they have to bundle not only the DVD but also the Digital Copy also at this point in time for new releases.

Do you really believe that 4k bluray will be as successful as Bluray ? What are they going to do bundle in the 4k Bluray , Bluray, Dvd and Digital download for $20 ?

Nobody cares eastmen. It doesn't have to be as successful, it only has to exist as the highest tier. It's additonal revenue from the high end home theater crowd, as it always was. It makes money whether it's a dvd, a bluray, or a bluray 4k. The higher the tier, the higher the profit.

Dvd, bluray, and bluray 4k are as complementary as netflix sd, hd, and 4k subscription options. All players play everything.

154 million from Frozen bluray which sell at a higher price. Bluray is necessary to the studios until this number is zero.

Nobody cares eastmen. It doesn't have to be as successful, it only has to exist as the highest tier. It's additonal revenue from the high end home theater crowd, as it always was. It makes money whether it's a dvd, a bluray, or a bluray 4k.

Dvd, bluray, and bluray 4k are as complementary as netflix sd, hd, and 4k subscription options. All players play everything.
more players are excluding the physical component. When bluray came out there were no Fire sticks , chromcasts and the like. Now you have apple tvs , fire stick / tv , chromcast , windows 10 on a stick , NVidia's thing and so many more out there. None of them play blurays /dvd / 4k bluray. You can get 4k content on these devices that look better than the older 10k devices and they start at around $50 far cheaper than a 4k bluray player.

That's why , with the next playstation I don't see sony adding 4k bluray. It doesn't really add any value to the system

You don't seem to understand what bitrate is.
I understand bit rate just fine, I also realize that many people bought full screen dvds because why are there black bars on my screen. I also know people who bought 1080p tvs and sd boxes.

But hey we disagree , no reason to keep going. Time will tell who is right. I believe 4k Bluray will be a non starter.

I understand bit rate just fine, I also realize that many people bought full screen dvds because why are there black bars on my screen. I also know people who bought 1080p tvs and sd boxes.

But hey we disagree , no reason to keep going. Time will tell who is right. I believe 4k Bluray will be a non starter.

Did you buy the 4:3 edition DVDs? Because obviously you are not in it for the high quality that the Blu-Ray and the future UHD format will deliver if you think streaming is enough. I think that the forthcoming UHD Blu-Ray is solid concrete proof that you do NOT need to sell the same amount of discs that DVD did (DVDs were a perfect storm) you just need to sell enough to make a profit (Laserdiscs). And every director and other movie lovers in the industry will spend the time and energy needed to backup UHD, because they love movies.

And Blu-Ray made a lot of money for the backers, even if it had it's own perfect storm at launch.

Did you buy the 4:3 edition DVDs? Because obviously you are not in it for the high quality that the Blu-Ray and the future UHD format will deliver if you think streaming is enough. I think that the forthcoming UHD Blu-Ray is solid concrete proof that you do NOT need to sell the same amount of discs that DVD did (DVDs were a perfect storm) you just need to sell enough to make a profit (Laserdiscs). And every director and other movie lovers in the industry will spend the time and energy needed to backup UHD, because they love movies.

And Blu-Ray made a lot of money for the backers, even if it had it's own perfect storm at launch.

No ,I bought letter box dvds , I owned about 2,000 dvds. Now I own about 60 bluray. I predict the number of UBD will be even less or I might skip over it completely.

Streaming looks extremely good to me.

Sony's own service Vudu offers 30mbps which is quite close to bluray's quality and ultra voliet also offers similar quality.

We will also get new streaming services using the newer compression tech.

Eastmen it's an undeniable truth that for any given codec an offline delivery system like BD or UHD BD is going to deliver more b/w. IQ is an obsession of the AV nerd, hell I know plenty of people who would struggle to tell DVD from BD, and streaming will never cater for the AV nerd because of the b/w cost per viewer. Hell the most popular streaming platform is notorious for fucking around with aspect ratio like they spin a wheel per upload (anamorphic, 2.35:1, letterbox, etc). When average Joe doesn't care why bother catering for AV snobs like me? BD and UHD ensure that even if Amazon/Netflix/whoever start rolling out studies that 'prove' you don't need high bit rates by asking Joe Soap I can still get my pristine IQ on disc. Also I don't have to subscribe to dozens of different services on a monthly basis to watch discs. The landscape for streaming is getting more balkanised by the day whereas Amazon always has all the best quality for a onetime fee.

Digital Distribution will keep gaining traction for sure, but the world isn't ready for it everywhere. I also think we will eventually see a disc less console, at the very least as an option, but will it happen before games are streamed as well or after is a very similar (but certainly not identical) question.

Isn't it?

A lot has happened in the past two years. Vectored DSL and 4G/LTE are commonplace now; You don't need to be a cable or fiber subscriber to enjoy >30Mbit/s broadband speeds anymore.

A 25GB game would be less than a two hour download on 30Mbit/s

I have one game on disc this gen, (Destiny and it was a gift), the rest are digital downloads.

Cheers

No ,I bought letter box dvds , I owned about 2,000 dvds. Now I own about 60 bluray. I predict the number of UBD will be even less or I might skip over it completely.

Streaming looks extremely good to me.

Sony's own service Vudu offers 30mbps which is quite close to bluray's quality and ultra voliet also offers similar quality.

We will also get new streaming services using the newer compression tech.

Of course streaming is getting better, or rather, thank god it is, because it really isn't very good. Just the basics of getting sound that isn't compressed into hell seems to be far away. I am so lucky that i can get a 20mbit download speed, and when i stream i better not do anything else, like uploading, because then it either stutters or goes down in quality. It is NOT a problem, but it just tells you that in a modern country, in the city well, someone will be limited.

Now compare that to a 100mbit hevc UHD movie on a disc, it will be perfect for those giant tv's and projector ht equipped homes. I look forward to building my second HT setup :)

Isn't it?

A lot has happened in the past two years. Vectored DSL and 4G/LTE are commonplace now; You don't need to be a cable or fiber subscriber to enjoy >30Mbit/s broadband speeds anymore.

A 25GB game would be less than a two hour download on 30Mbit/s

I have one game on disc this gen, (Destiny and it was a gift), the rest are digital downloads.

Cheers

I have a 30GB cab on my mobile contract.

Back