Could PlayStation 4 breathe new life into Software Based Rendering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GCN is all 3 MIMD, SIMD, & SMT

As I said, the claim for MIMD on AMD GCN is based on running multiple programs on the same GPU. The hardware gets partitioned to reserve hardware resources for each program, effectively creating two virtual GPUs, hence a MIMD execution model. That's how I understand it. A single program(game) dispatching compute jobs to ACEs is not MIMD. The execution model for a typical game on any GCN hardware is what they call SMT or SIMT (not totally clear on the difference between the two).

I'm not using it for ACE I'm using it because the PS4 APU can run 8 compute pipelines, I never seen them AMD slides before.

There is nothing different about the ACEs on PS4. It is the same compute model as any other GCN GPU. At the time it came out, it had more ACEs than Xbox One. I'm not sure if PC parts had 8 ACEs at the time, but they do now.

Last edited:
I don't agree with OnQ's pounding of square pegs into round holes here but putting unreasonable restrictions onto what software rendering is does nothing to further the discussion.

"Software Rendering" was a phrase coined long before current highly programmable GPUs. It defined an architecture made up of a single processor type (homogeneous mutlicore/manycore) that were general purpose processors, with no intrinsic limitations in data types they were efficient with, being used to render with any algorithm at all, with the complete flexibility of a CPU.

As an architectural goal, modern GPUs != Software Rendering

What has happened is GPUs have expanded their flexibility to be able to do more, although they still have caveats with the type of data structures and associated algorithms they are efficient with (required parallelism). This has resulted in non-traditional rasterising options. That is, techniques that move away from the algorithms of the 90s which were implemented in hardware as pixel shaders, vertex shaders, TNL and ROPs. Experimentation in this field has led to things like compute based lighting being used with conventional rasterisation. It's also worth noting that GPUs have been using software for a while now, with pixel and vertex shaders being very flexible software programs.

For the purposes of this thread, which I increasingly feel should just be closed as the S:R is terrible, let's define Software Rendering as 'non conventional image creation using techniques that would not fit a fixed-function GPU like GeForce2*.

*Someone correct me on my choice of GPU if wrong!

It's complicated to describe modern GPU architectures, but I view GCN as being a scalar/vector processor where the vector unit executes in SIMD fashion. There are a multitude of these scalar/vector processors, 4 per CU and many CUs. The instructions can come from multiple kernels which coexist on the GPU, but are loaded sequentially from the same queue or concurrently from different queues. Personally, I don't like to co-mingle SIMD and MIMD terminology but as you can see from the old AMD slide some people like to describe a CU as being SIMD and MIMD depending on the level at which you're thinking.

What is that even in answer to?!?! Are you talking about HSA compute? Is this thread "can HSA compute breathe new life into software rendering"? If so, 1) HSA has nothing to do with what devs are currently achieving with compute (eg. Dreams). 2) What do you mean here...?
In one breath you say it's nothing to do with HSA, and the next you say it's all about the HSA. And then you say it's nothing about HSA again. And then you're talking about PS4 specifically. And then you say you're not excluding other platforms!

:runaway:

No you said it has nothing to do with HSA & I explained that the PS4 APU was a product of HSA.

That has nothing to do with HSA and everything to do with compute.

Still trying to jump through that loophole, this has nothing to do with HSA but the PS4 APU is a product of HSA & the APU was designed in a way that made it better at computing. I simply asked what could be done using the PS4 for software based rendering seeing as it was designed with better GPGPU computing in mind.

You're still trying to find loopholes.

onQ:
Let's start over because honestly your terms are mixed to me and I'm still struggling to find your argument beyond trying to explain "how" or "what".

Let me start you off:
GPGPU: general purpose computing completed by the GPU. Traditional GPGPU has code which copies the values from System RAM to graphics RAM and sends code over and the pointers to the data to the GPU to run it against. When the GPU is complete it needs to copy the value back to system ram.

Software Rendering: drawing graphics entirely on the CPU.

HSA: Integrated based architecture in which the CPU and GPU can access the same memory locations. Saves the Step of copying values back and forth for processing. in PC space for graphics this is often one way only. For GPGPU this will save 2 copies, one from DDR to GDDR and back.

Media molecule: looks like graphics algorithms performed entirely by compute shaders.

Okay, I think I nailed down the anchor points. Could you tell us
A) why or what advantages software rendering has over fixed function programmable pipeline ones? There are some if I recall but often not worth the trade off

B) using that advantage that software has over hardware, what aspects of PS4 HSA will help accomplish or exploit these advantages that previously were not possible.

Why are you looking for my argument? It was simple. I looked at the design of the PS4 & it's specs & seen that it was made with compute in mind & asked could it breathe new life into software based rendering, seeing as it's a closed box built around compute. I then asked how far did y'all think software based rendering could go with the specs of the PS4.

That seemed like a simple question to ask on beyond3d I thought, I guess it wasn't so I explained that the PS4 APU is like Cell / Larrabee when the CPU & GPGPU is used together for compute.

People still said "no it's not gonna happen" but it did happen & now somehow the arguments are trying to be changed to all types of stuff.

Why are you looking for my argument? It was simple. I looked at the design of the PS4 & it's specs & seen that it was made with compute in mind & asked could it breathe new life into software based rendering, seeing as it's a closed box built around compute. I then asked how far did y'all think software based rendering could go with the specs of the PS4.

That seemed like a simple question to ask on beyond3d I thought, I guess it wasn't so I explained that the PS4 APU is like Cell / Larrabee when the CPU & GPGPU is used together for compute.

People still said "no it's not gonna happen" but it did happen & now somehow the arguments are trying to be changed to all types of stuff.

You were correct in pointing out that the PS4 was designed for GPGPU which led to Sony making a significant investment in research of GPGPU rendering.

I think people just take issue when you post things and don't back down when it's pointed out that the correlations you make, or the usage of terminology, are incorrect.

I'm looking at the Design of the PS4 SoC & it's looking like the Voltron of The Cell Processor or Larrabee when the CPU & GPGPU form together.
Notice all the 8's?

• 8 Jaguar Cores
  • The GPGPU will have 8 Compute-only pipelines
  • Each pipeline has 8 queues of a total of 64
  • Rumor of 8 very wide vector engines attached to the CPU
  • all using 8GB GDDR5 Unified Memory ( not really part of my argument but it does have 8)

Seems like it's all made to work together as a powerful CPU if a dev choose to use it all for Computing.

My confusion here stems from HSA and compute queues being held up as reasons that the PS4 would be better suited to software rendering.

In the case of HSA, it has always been my understanding that this framework exists to better enable different types of processors to work together on the same data. I don't see how useful it is though, given the relative processing power available, to have the PS4's CPU engaged in graphics workloads to any large degree. I more see this being used the other way around where the GPU can be used as a supplement to the CPUs processing capabilities for non-graphics workloads. Are there any types of work done in a software renderer that would be better suited to being done on the PS4 CPU's processing units vs. the CUs on the GPU?

And the larger number of compute pipelines/queues have always seemed to me to be a way to better have work, well...queued up for those moments when the graphics pipeline was not using all of the compute resources. When that "gap" opens you want to be able to take advantage of it immediately and not have to still be setting up work on the front end. When you are specifically not using the graphics pipeline and doing everything with compute are the larger number of compute pipelines and queues *as much* of an advantage as they are when doing traditional rendering in addition to compute work? I'm sure they help to some degree, but is it enough of a difference to make some techniques viable that wouldn't be otherwise?

I think there are elements in the PS4 APU's design that do open up more opportunities for software rendering, but I think the most important of those elements are common in any modern graphics processor.

You were correct in pointing out that the PS4 was designed for GPGPU which led to Sony making a significant investment in research of GPGPU rendering.

I think people just take issue when you post things and don't back down when it's pointed out that the correlations you make, or the usage of terminology, are incorrect.

What's wrong with that? You can't see Jaguar as the PPU & the GPGPU being used as a co-processor like the SPU's?

_

(4) a function to make the CPU take over the pre-processing to be conducted by the GPU.

Look at the last line.

gpgpu-algorithms-in-games-30-728.jpg

Last line again.

gpgpu-algorithms-in-games-13-728.jpg

What's wrong with that? You can't see Jaguar as the PPU & the GPGPU being used as a co-processor like the SPU's?

I'm not sure what "the Voltron of The Cell Processor or Larrabee when the CPU & GPGPU form together" is supposed to mean. If it just means the CPU can use the GPU as a co-processor for GPGPU, then you can say any PC with a CPU paired with a GPU that can do GPGPU/compute is like Cell or Larabee. It's not a particularly useful analogy.

As I said, the claim for MIMD on AMD GCN is based on running multiple programs on the same GPU. The hardware gets partitioned to reserve hardware resources for each program, effectively creating two virtual GPUs, hence a MIMD execution model. That's how I understand it. A single program(game) dispatching compute jobs to ACEs is not MIMD. The execution model for a typical game on any GCN hardware is what they call SMT or SIMT (not totally clear on the difference between the two).

There is nothing different about the ACEs on PS4. It is the same compute model as any other GCN GPU. At the time it came out, it had more ACEs than Xbox One. I'm not sure if PC parts had 8 ACEs at the time, but they do now.

You're still looking at the GPU by it's self when that's not the case , PS4 has a 8 core CPU connected to it's GPGPU through hUMA, when doing computing it's basically 1 big MIMD processor like the Cell processor.

My confusion here stems from HSA and compute queues being held up as reasons that the PS4 would be better suited to software rendering.

In the case of HSA, it has always been my understanding that this framework exists to better enable different types of processors to work together on the same data. I don't see how useful it is though, given the relative processing power available, to have the PS4's CPU engaged in graphics workloads to any large degree. I more see this being used the other way around where the GPU can be used as a supplement to the CPUs processing capabilities for non-graphics workloads. Are there any types of work done in a software renderer that would be better suited to being done on the PS4 CPU's processing units vs. the CUs on the GPU?

And the larger number of compute pipelines/queues have always seemed to me to be a way to better have work, well...queued up for those moments when the graphics pipeline was not using all of the compute resources. When that "gap" opens you want to be able to take advantage of it immediately and not have to still be setting up work on the front end. When you are specifically not using the graphics pipeline and doing everything with compute are the larger number of compute pipelines and queues *as much* of an advantage as they are when doing traditional rendering in addition to compute work? I'm sure they help to some degree, but is it enough of a difference to make some techniques viable that wouldn't be otherwise?

I think there are elements in the PS4 APU's design that do open up more opportunities for software rendering, but I think the most important of those elements are common in any modern graphics processor.

03%20-%20HSA%20Features_575px.jpg

AMD's Heterogeneous Queuing (hQ) technology promises to unlock the true potential of APUs, allowing a GPU to queue its own work without the CPU or operating system getting in the way.

article_img.jpg

To explain: traditional queuing systems work by forcing the CPU to run through an operating system service and kernel-level driver when generating workloads for the GPU. This, AMD claims, introduces unwanted latency to the queue - and means that every time there's work for the GPU to carry out, the CPU has to get involved to kick things off.

The hQ paradigm, by contrast, upgrades the GPU from a mere adjunct to the CPU to a processor of equal status. In this design, a given application can generate tasks queues directly on the GPU without the CPU getting involved. Better still, the GPU can generate its own workload - AMD's example here is raytracing, where one GPU task may generate several more tasks in its execution and which would previously have needed the CPU and operating system to be involved in queuing said new tasks - and even push work into the CPU's task queue. Equally, the CPU can push work into the GPU task queue without operating system involvement - creating a bi-directional queueing system which dramatically reduces latency and allows applications to easily push jobs to whichever processor is most appropriate.

I'm not sure what "the Voltron of The Cell Processor or Larrabee when the CPU & GPGPU form together" is supposed to mean. If it just means the CPU can use the GPU as a co-processor for GPGPU, then you can say any PC with a CPU paired with a GPU that can do GPGPU/compute is like Cell or Larabee. It's not a particularly useful analogy.

It's not the same as just having any PC with a CPU paired with a GPU.

ND4g93i.jpg

You're still looking at the GPU by it's self when that's not the case , PS4 has a 8 core CPU connected to it's GPGPU through hUMA, when doing computing it's basically 1 big MIMD processor like the Cell processor.

No.

My understanding is that all multicore CPUs are MIMD. If you want to throw in the GPU as another part of the overall architecture as being MIMD, then whatever, but then all multicore CPUs paired with GPUs are an overall MIMD architecture.

It's also only like the Cell if you ignore all of the architectural differences between Durango and GCN vs Cell's SPE and PPEs. In which case, why compare them at all?

It's not the same as just having any PC with a CPU paired with a GPU.

ND4g93i.jpg

Yes, it is. HSA makes some things easier, like not having to copy to/from GPU memory, but the fundamental concepts are still the same.

Last edited:
No.

My understanding is that all multicore CPUs are MIMD. If you want to throw in the GPU as another part of the overall architecture as being MIMD, then whatever, but then all multicore CPUs paired with GPUs are an overall MIMD architecture.

It's also only like the Cell if you ignore all of the architectural differences between Durango and GCN vs Cell's SPE and PPEs. In which case, why compare them at all?

Yes, it is. HSA makes some things easier, like not having to copy to/from GPU memory, but the fundamental concepts are still the same.

It's not the same.

9czcg9l.jpg

I've decided this thread isn't worthy of continuing and is a distraction from the real discussion of compute-based and novel rendering techniques. onQ's discussion techniques of one-liners, indirect response to questions, and quotes and images without explanation, just leads to confusion and arguments about what's being said rather than discussion of value to a B3D technical forum.

I also conclude there's no point to a singular 'novel rendering techniques' thread as each technique worth discussing can have its own thread, such as Dreams' and tiled resources having their own tech threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back