Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Two more PS4 screenshots:

fSSJggO.png

2RFnmFV.png

All previous Frostbite 3 30fps games were running 900p on X1 and 1080p on Ps4 IRRC.

NFS Rivals was 1080P/30fps on both Xbox and PS4

Correct. However there were some exceptions made on achieving that. The question is: Will EA/Criterion apply the same methods on achieving 1080pr for XB1 or scale back resolution on matching PS4/PC post processing effects?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-rivals-next-gen-face-off

For a quick recap, both next-gen versions produce stunning 1920x1080 native images with perceptibly identical lighting, textures and geometry across the board. This remains the case for the final release here too, though the PS4 retains its stronghold in the effects category. While shadows aren't filtered to the same quality as the PC version on ultra settings, Sony's platform matches it with a refined bokeh depth-of-field effect that goes entirely missing on Xbox One - where it appears as a more simple blur filter instead.

Based on direct confirmation from Ghost Studios' rendering engineer, Andreas Brinck, the PS4 also gives us the more accurate horizon-based ambient occlusion (HBAO), as seen on the PC's maximum settings. By comparison, the Xbox One relies on an approximate measure with its screen-space approach to shading (SSAO), producing a prominent silhouette around each car's exterior, plus a persistent shade under spoilers during a race. For the final build, all of this does indeed remain the same - leaving the PS4 with a respectable, if not spectacular, advantage in the visual stakes.

"1080PR" is used to refer to a resolution like 1360X1080, with a 1080 vertical. NFS Rivals was not 1080 PR on Xbox One, it was 1080P.

"1080PR" is used to refer to a resolution like 1360X1080, with a 1080 vertical. NFS Rivals was not 1080 PR on Xbox One, it was 1080P.

The "pr" part was referring on getting the latest Need for Speed for XB1 up to 1080p... not the previous. In other words, will they make sacrifices (like the previous version) on achieving 1080p for the sake of Public Relations (1080pr).

Does anybody have any idea what the AA situation is in the Uncharted 4 beta? Whatever it is, it looks really nice. I hardly ever notice jaggies, even though it's 900p.

Does anybody have any idea what the AA situation is in the Uncharted 4 beta? Whatever it is, it looks really nice. I hardly ever notice jaggies, even though it's 900p.

TAA similar to this: https://de45xmedrsdbp.cloudfront.net/Resources/files/TemporalAA_small-59732822.pdf

It's probably using several frames worth of information but we don't know the specifics yet. Worst case scenario I've encountered (I am purposely trying to "break" the image in this shot):

uncharted4multiplayerfludw.png

Of course, like i said this is the worst case scenario. 99% of the time when you're moving (or staying still) you don't notice any ghosting and the image looks clean and sharp. And i think it works really well in motion.

I agree it works incredibly well. One of the best TAA examples I've seen. Should look even better at 1080p in the campaign assuming they're using the same thing there. Although with the campaign at 30fps maybe it won't, since faster moving objects will have less samples, although the motion blur may help with that, and the motion blur is also really well done as well. Much better than the Naughty Dog Remasters.

I am satisfied with the look and rendering performance of U4 MP beta, but I definitely noticed that everything is a bit blurry. Game is definitely not as sharp as native 1080p games.

I am satisfied with the look and rendering performance of U4 MP beta, but I definitely noticed that everything is a bit blurry. Game is definitely not as sharp as native 1080p games.

Sure, no 900p game can look as good as a native 1080p game considering everything else stays the same. But U4s presentation even at 900p is really clean (no shimmering, jaggies etc.). And 60fps really helps the MP.

Last edited:
AA looks pretty good, but then again I'm on my tablet. Lighting and shadowing looks nice... however, Infamous: Second Son neon lights and light casting (from them) has spoiled me though. :mad:

Back