GeForce 980 GTX Ti Crashes

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-ti-with-353-06-drivers-/5/?offset=69#4656009

I see a lot of people have been getting crashes in games with the 980 GTX Ti.

I have the same problem. It was fine for just over a week then started crashing an hour or more into a game. However it's gotten worse and now I get crashes 2 minutes into any game.

This is on a fresh install Win7 x64. I thought it might be the PSU as I had a Corsair TX 750W PSU. However I bought a new Corsair RM1000 and still get the crashes. It's rather frustrating to be honest.

I even went so far as to underclock my card(Galax 980 GTX Ti HOF) but still get the crashes.

Have you monitored the cards temperatures? Checked to make sure its heatsinks weren't dusty/fans rolling/etc? (<-I assume you have, but I gotta ask...you know the drill. ;) )

From his link:

Using 353.62 WHQL and 355.60 WHQL Win7 x64 drivers.
And did you notice this one?

Small update on my random crashes. Was messing around with computer settings this past week and decided to adjust my RAM settings. My RAM is PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8) 1866MHz CAS 9. My mobo kept my RAM at a default 1600MHz on initial setup, and I made it run at 1866MHz by switching Memory profiles. Well, I decided to switch back to 1600MHz and let the RAM operate at that speed and see if it solved my issues. And going on over 24 hours strong, NO crashes. I think my Xeon I am using plays a part in being picky on what speed the RAM operates at. Smooth sailing.

So, the "solution" above seems oddly coherent with my own "crashes" after first getting this card. I too had some challenges with machine stability that I couldn't immediately pin down, and I wasn't (yet) willing to assume the card was bad.

First thing I did was to reset my machine back to stock clocks (3930k at 4.5Ghz, eight sticks of 4GB ram at 1666 / 1T.) I also took the opportunity to update my motherboard firmware (Intel DX79SI). Lo and behold, all my stability problems were gone. I have yet to re-overclock it, just because in all honesty, the stock 3.2Ghz / 3.8Ghz turbo s more than enough for every game I run.

Have you monitored the cards temperatures? Checked to make sure its heatsinks weren't dusty/fans rolling/etc? (<-I assume you have, but I gotta ask...you know the drill. ;) )

Hey DW, long time no chat.

Yeah, I know the drill but it was brand new and I didn't want to take the heatsinks off. ;)

I actually sent my 980 Ti back and got a replacement. They did tests and replaced the card.

My new card has been great since. Something definitely not good with that GPU.

Anyway, Witcher 3 is gorgeous with everything turned on in Ultra and hairworks.

Glad to hear you got it all better, talk me in to playing Witcher 3! I've had it for weeks but can't bring myself to get in to it. (I'm in a gaming slump. :( )

Back