Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, look at Destiny. They went independent in 2007. In 2008 they announced they were going to reveal a new game in development, but then cancelled that announcement. They entered into a deal with Activision in Apr. 2010. Destiny wasn't released until Sept. 2014. 4.5 years. They likely had a working/semi-working pre-Alpha demo that they showed Activision. So greater than 4.5 years development time. And likely closer to 6.5-7.5 years if we assume that game they were going to announce in 2008 was Destiny.

And it still launched with content cut... And less content than what CIS is promising thus far for Star Citizen.

I can't even imagine how much the internet would have predicted doom and gloom about Destiny if they had been there during development from day 1. And the cut content. Holy crap the internet would have blown up if they knew about it before the games release.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Cry Engine not having non shooting games is irrelevant because the engine was created for licensing purpose and as such has tools built in that should allow developers to make whatever kind of game they want. Beside Ryse is not a shooter.

Cry Engine not having non shooting games is irrelevant because the engine was created for licensing purpose and as such has tools built in that should allow developers to make whatever kind of game they want. Beside Ryse is not a shooter.

Spoken like the sales pamphlet! id Tech N, Unreal N, all of these were sold as 'universal' engines yet when they were used for purposes other than their original intended use (FPS largely with character action games in Unreal 3.0) they fell over spectacularly. Ryse was a character action game with a 3rd person camera a relatively minor shift from FPS as the characters move at the same rate, are affected by the same physics on roughly the same number of actors on screen. I will lay money down CIG are discovering holes and edge cases in that engine that Crytek never saw because they never used their engine to make a space combat game.

Squadron 42: Facial Animation Technology:

Impressive that they are even catching eye twitches and simulating pupil dilation in reaction to changing light conditions. Added work to simulate blood flow due to muscle contractions and general fluid pooling and movement around the eyes. In addition to the enhanced wrinkle deformation, etc. that some games previously had used.

Some really impressive advancements in some of the minor details that really add to what's needed to make a convincing simulacrum.

Not there yet, and likely won't be for quite a few more years. But some nice progress for the game's industry.

Regards,
SB

Spoken like the sales pamphlet! id Tech N, Unreal N, all of these were sold as 'universal' engines yet when they were used for purposes other than their original intended use (FPS largely with character action games in Unreal 3.0) they fell over spectacularly. Ryse was a character action game with a 3rd person camera a relatively minor shift from FPS as the characters move at the same rate, are affected by the same physics on roughly the same number of actors on screen. I will lay money down CIG are discovering holes and edge cases in that engine that Crytek never saw because they never used their engine to make a space combat game.
Yea that's a reductionist argument there if I ever saw one, and one that can be applicable to fit any scenario in a game like Star Citizen if you try to.

That isn't entirely irrelevant. From a time to develop perspective, just having an engine only saves a bit of time. All AAA developers heavily modify the engines after they license them. Meaning that there is still quite often 2-4 years of engine development (including tools) in addition to content creation. Not only to make it fit the graphics they wish for their game, but also the gameplay elements they desire.

No one except indie developers use vanilla engines. And even there it isn't entirely uncommon to see them do custom modifications to make it fit their game.

A Diablo clone I recently helped Kickstart (indie developer), for example, isn't only modifying the engine, they are also modifying the tools to aid in development of their game.

Regards,
SB

Dev Sean Tracy comments on Squadron 42 "Fake and dolly look"

Sean "Criminal" Tracy

Posted: 2:08PM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to chirp in here as I've been pushing our pipeline forward. So you guys are aware we produced 15 MORE characters than Ryse shipped with, in about 4 months (faces). Having worked at Crytek and on Ryse stuff I have a very good idea of the time each of these characters usually gets and comparing up against Ryse won't bring us out on top quite yet as we are far from completed (and thus why you don't have SQ42 in your hands!) The main thing is that most faces takes about a year to complete perfect. You are seeing Bishop who got only a few weeks compared to a year of work.

The other very obvious (but overlooked fact) that the comparisons to Ryse are a bit skewed because most of the cutscenes are pre-rendered (not real time) and in fact we used a different technology (called Cinebox) to render the cutscene videos for Ryse back at Crytek. So keep in mind SC will run in REAL TIME with the cutscene rendering on your PC not before hand so that there is zero texture shock between cutscene and gameplay.

The best indication you'll have right now of the quality we are reaching for is Bishop who still as of now is about 3/4 complete with very little time for subtle polish quite yet. This is why we are releasing those guys in 2016 ;) I'd be happy to have you guys compare to other released games once we are released :) until then its a bit early! Even at this stage though it's not far off and the tech is identical, if not further, than Ryse was already.

I'd like to note to for Morrow tour the lighting can really hurt the scenes, you are seeing many cutscenes in Ryse that we poured over the lighting and rendering of for hours and hours on end, where as in Morrow tour this is all in game real time moving around with very little pre canned cinematics, much harder to get right and just takes time. We like to show you guys where we are at as of now though, but expect much more polish and even more gorgeous things to come.

The pipeline is awesome and we've made this so fast to cut the time to produce these down to weeks instead of years so you're seeing alot of quantity over quality at this exact moment.

Source: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5749176/#Comment_5749176

That isn't entirely irrelevant. From a time to develop perspective, just having an engine only saves a bit of time. All AAA developers heavily modify the engines after they license them. Meaning that there is still quite often 2-4 years of engine development (including tools) in addition to content creation. Not only to make it fit the graphics they wish for their game, but also the gameplay elements they desire.

No one except indie developers use vanilla engines. And even there it isn't entirely uncommon to see them do custom modifications to make it fit their game.

A Diablo clone I recently helped Kickstart (indie developer), for example, isn't only modifying the engine, they are also modifying the tools to aid in development of their game.

Regards,
SB
I understand that and am aware that developers modify the engine to fit the type of game they want to make, and the features they want to keep in the game. But the kind of modifications Star Citizen needed probably has nothing to do with the fact that the engine was used to build shooters so far.

Dev Sean Tracy comments on Squadron 42 "Fake and dolly look"

Sean "Criminal" Tracy

Posted: 2:08PM

Hey guys,

Source: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5749176/#Comment_5749176

Excellect post. Yeah, it looked very rough and like others in this thread have said, they probably wouldn't have showed this if it wasn't kickstarter project. Tech is there, artistic vision and polish are not. Now to get same treatment for mr Roberts mono/dialogue and we're golden in 2017 or whenever this game is finally finished.

And they people say that there is no innovation on nextgen consoles. :) I can clearly see that this game has many.... ahem... advances.

Most realistic ass wobbling

edit: Why the hell are they doing this to us men???

Last edited:
Those DoA girls are just about past that typical saucer eye anime asthetic. Very nice, just bit less doll like and it'd be bueno. Of course I'm looking at ass and titties and those are already fine enough :D

But will we see the gradual accumulation of booty sweat tho:oops:?!
I do hope DOA's skin shader would get more realistic, I feel like the art style is limiting the visual leap here.

Devs have announced on TGS that they are considering PSVR support for this game. :)

I feel like the art style is limiting the visual leap here.
Not only that, I think the fact that this game is also coming out on Vita is limiting the maximum potential of the visuals. If the dev team invest a lot of time on PS4 version, most of that work will be for nothing when the game gets downported to Vita.

Thought I'm gonna show you guys the state of the art, this was just posted by my pal at Weta. Furious 7 Paul Walker CG head.

9xA1zab.png

http://imgur.com/a/EGj5r#P3i9R07

Also keep in mind that they had no facial scans at all! Everything was built by hand, using photographs, footage, and Walker's brothers' scans as reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back