Nintendo GOing Forward.

btw Wii U has been hacked to play games off SD Card. Will that hasten NX release if it became popular?

Same thing had happened to DS and Wii, and a number of other consoles. It's always been relatively niche, and not very impactfull of the overall business.

Having a powerful system that can entice new buyers would be of major benefit as well.
I'm like, why should I buy another console that may be no better - and quite possibly worse - than the PS4 I already own? That makes no sense to me.

Of course, at the core I'm a nintendo fanboy and don't think I could stop myself from buying a NX regardless of how crappy it is, but that's just me. If I think about it logically, I'm like...uh, no. No way.

I'm convinced at this stage that Nintendo would be better off shelving their hom console business and going multi-platform with their home console games.

They'd sell a truckload of games across Xbox1, PS4, PC and iOS and they could continue to ship platsic peripherals like the Wiimote if they really wanted a new gimmick to sell their mario games off the back of.

They're simply just not good at HW anymore, nor are they particularly well adjusted to the complexities or market expectations of a console HW platform company in the modern age. Forgoing all that and focussing on where their strengths are, i.e. games development, as well as merchandising and toys, they'd make bank without having to have anywhere near the same associated costs.

They'd sell a truckload of games across Xbox1, PS4, PC and iOS and they could continue to ship platsic peripherals like the Wiimote if they really wanted a new gimmick to sell their mario games off the back of.
I think the profitability of things like Skylanders or even Kinect show a peripheral that comes with a strong title and then gets continuing support (Nintendo could be the unique providers of the Nintendo MiiTuu LifeStick peripheral titles) would be far more profitable than their likely own ecosystem and N. won't need hardware control of the whole system.

Imagine where we'd be now if Nintendo had worked with Sony on EyeToy producing titles and minigames, and then Move. There'd far great synergy between core games and casual waggle systems. You would need to buy an MS or Sony console for the 'real' games and then a N. box for the party games.

Even if it meant Nintendo shrinking as a company, and be far better for gamers!

They're simply just not good at HW anymore
Well, uh, Nintendo is still fucking pro at hardware - IE, designing and building it. Their stuff is solid as hell, and very neatly and nicely packaged; it's for good reason Steve Jobs borrowed Japanese wrapping traditions for Apple; Nintendo has been doing the same thing for decades, but in a slightly less flashy manner. Even a Wiimote is nicely wrapped when you buy it.

Both the Wii and Wii U are very hefty, solid consoles, even though the specs are total shit. Anyone else who built a box with those specs would have chucked a small circuit board in a thin plastic clamshell light enough for a breeze to pick it up and called it a day. I love that there's heft and weight to pretty much everything Nintendo makes, if they could just work with someone experienced to help them architect their next system, hardware and software, instead of rolling it all themselves, then they could do a good job building it and boxing it.

Of course, they still need to kiss major 3rd party developer ass too, because otherwise they'll flop again, and quite possibly even harder than the Wuu. I wish they would take at least a two-year timeout from home consoles as they develop a new high-powered system, re-building 3rd party relations and encouraging ports of upcoming franchise games. Rushing out the NX in an environment where the bone and PS4 rule the field seems like an unwise, reactionary move, especially as we'll have reason to believe the NX will be underpowered even compared to current consoles.

I feel the NX is only really meant to be a portable system, and the base station is just a means to blow up the image to a big screen. This will be fail IMO, because you can't have truly serious games on a portable. The form factor doesn't encourage that type of gameplay, and the hardware may not be capable of driving an immersive environment anyway. *shrug*

I guess we'll learn sometime in 2016, but the lack of any rumors and leaks whatsoever makes me think there isn't much 3rd party involvement this time around either...

I don't get this assumption that Nintendo did not kiss 3rd party ass for the Wii U. They did kiss their ass quite a lot for the Wii U's launch.
Just look at the console's launch titles.
Every big 3rd party publisher was there with either a special edition or an exclusive title for the console:

- EA with Mass Effect 3, FIFA and Madden
- Activision with Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Transformers Prime
- Ubisoft with Just Dance, Assassin's Creed 3 and ZombiU as a 3rd party exclusive
- Warner Bros. with a special edition of Arkham City
- Sega with All Stars Racing Transformed
- Capcom with Monster Hunter 3
- Bandai Namco with Tekken Tag Tournament 2
- 2K with NBA 2K13

The problem wasn't trying to cater to third parties. It was 1) crappy specs barely reaching previous 6 year-old consoles and 2) trying so hard to hide said crappy specs that they ended up hiding the whole console, so people thought it was an add-on for the original Wii.

I don't get this assumption that Nintendo did not kiss 3rd party ass for the Wii U. They did kiss their ass quite a lot for the Wii U's launch.
Just look at the console's launch titles.
Every big 3rd party publisher was there with either a special edition or an exclusive title for the console:

- EA with Mass Effect 3, FIFA and Madden
- Activision with Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Transformers Prime
- Ubisoft with Just Dance, Assassin's Creed 3 and ZombiU as a 3rd party exclusive
- Warner Bros. with a special edition of Arkham City
- Sega with All Stars Racing Transformed
- Capcom with Monster Hunter 3
- Bandai Namco with Tekken Tag Tournament 2
- 2K with NBA 2K13

The problem wasn't trying to cater to third parties. It was 1) crappy specs barely reaching previous 6 year-old consoles and 2) trying so hard to hide said crappy specs that they ended up hiding the whole console, so people thought it was an add-on for the original Wii.
All were ports of old games. ZombiU was an Ubisoft mistake.

All were ports of old games.
Old?! None of those games was old. Each one was the most recent iteration of their own franchise.

ZombiU was an Ubisoft mistake.
Practically everything released for the Wii U was a mistake. Of course no publisher could know that with 100% certainty in advance, before seeing how hard the console failed within its first 2 years.

Old?! None of those games was old. Each one was the most recent iteration of their own franchise.

Practically everything released for the Wii U was a mistake. Of course no publisher could know that with 100% certainty in advance, before seeing how hard the console failed within its first 2 years.

I think he means old as in the ps360 versions have been out for at least a year or more, but can't be certain on that. So what gamer would rebuy the same exact game they already finished and have sometimes worse performance?

I think he means old as in the ps360 versions have been out for at least a year or more, but can't be certain on that. So what gamer would rebuy the same exact game they already finished and have sometimes worse performance?

In addition to that, Mass Effect Trilogy was released for X360 one week before Mass Effect 3 Special Edition released for WiiU, for the same price.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9691/...ieceschi-architecture-chips-socs-go-to-pieces
That presentation is pretty relevant to the topic at hand imho. The noise surrounding the last iphone also is, Moore law is dead (beware the upcoming market correction...).
With that in mind I expect Nintendo to stick to 28nm for both its handheld and home console (I am also even more critical to the pov presenting shrinks for this gen of console as a given, the economic behind process jump has changed).

Nintendo is in a tricky situation with its next console. I know a lot of people believe it will release next year, but what if it ends up being 2017? It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo delayed a console. What is their target market? We know that if Nintendo fails to reach beyond the traditional Nintendo fan that their userbase will be pretty small. So how doesn't Nintendo reach out to the mass market with the most appeal? Simply matching PS4 and X1 in specs and price seems unlikely to attract consumers away from the more established products. When it comes to third party support, they can only really match the competition, not exceed them, so there is no real incentive for the consumer to buy their console.

I think they either need to be the first to release a true next gen system, and offer a $500 console that outclasses the PS4 and X1 in pretty much every way, or to go the other route, and offer a competitive product with the PS4/X1 but at a significant lower price. I honestly don't think either direction is a sure fire way to success, and even being a Nintendo fan, I struggle to see how fighting the hardware battle even makes sense. Unless they are taking gaming into a totally new direction like they did with Wii, I cant see a Nintendo box being any more popular than the N64, GC, or Wii U have been. Can Nintendo create a console that only targets a small install base, but is profitable? What if Nintendo ended up offering a Steam box? Essentially gaining all games on Steam, but still offering its exclusives that can only be played on their hardware. Its going to be fun to watch for sure.

On a side note, Zelda Twilight Princess HD is becoming a popular rumor thanks to some eshop hacks. I think this could be Nintendo's way of giving gamers that Zelda HD experience they showed back in 2011 with their Zelda HD demo.

Or it just might be that they've done so much damage to the brand that they won't win over market share from PS4/X1 in one generation.

If ever.

Maybe it would take the MX or whatever they call it being a real strong product followed by another strong product 5 years later, with all the attributes people like in the competition.

Nah, I don't think their brand has been damaged. They are still widely regarded as one of the premier brands in gaming, they just don't currently have a console that is very popular.

Or it just might be that they've done so much damage to the brand that they won't win over market share from PS4/X1 in one generation.

Yap.
Plus, no publisher is going to be caught in the Wii U fiasco again. If the NX brings terrible performance again, the publishers won't touch it with a 10 foot pole even.
At least not with AAA games. EA might do the obligatory FIFA port, Ubisoft might do a Rayman and a Just Dance but that's it.

Maybe it would take the MX or whatever they call it being a real strong product followed by another strong product 5 years later, with all the attributes people like in the competition.
Unless the NX is a 3DS successor, to which they would go after the old handheld's current userbase of 53 million. With Android and iOS being so stubbornly terrible as platforms for elaborated games (gamepad support up in the air, consistent lack of non-casual games), Nintendo actually does have a shot at being very successful there.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you need substantially more than that in handhelds. Typical tablets run 2K resolution screens.

We are talking about Nintendo here. They are as cheap ass as anyone could get.

I would be amazed if Nintendo spends the money for NX portable to use "high res" 480p screen.

Back