Destiny [Hoping for PC port]

Then what is the point of defining a "core gamer" market that is "limited" to a maximum of 1.3 million gamers if all it takes to break into markets beyond that core is a game that appeals to more people?

I think the purpose of the article was to demonstrate, using the numbers available, that the majority of games are bought by a small minority in the market. Because of Steam's dominance it gives a much more rounded picture of PC sales than is possible with consoles - which I said above, I'm certain are the same.

I don't think there is much more purpose to the article than that. And as I mentioned, I've long believed this was the case. When I used to look a sales of games like GTA and Call of Duty on 360 and PS3, it used to perplex me that those sales was so small relative to the size of the platforms. Then it dawned that I wasn't a typical gamer and I was not representative of most gamers, console or PC. It's only the outliers that seem different between consoles and PCs.

edit: typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://time.com/3985435/destiny-pc/

This is one of the articles that discusses the job listing. It's for a "PC compatibility tester." What that even means, is vague to say the least.

Form what I've read from developers, they're "interested" in making a PC version, but if I remember correctly, there was a statement issued once that they weren't going to even consider it until the consoles versions were basically bug-free. Which could technically never happen.

In terms of manpower, they sunk $500 million into this title, but couldn't afford to have a team working simultaneously on a PC version? They've openly claimed its "too hard" to develop cross platform at the same time. I don't believe that much of that at all. It appears consoles were the priority, because at one point they where actually leading in development and sales. But, I'm pretty sure that's not even the case anymore. Especially not with the influx of crowd sourced PC titles. I'm almost positive I read PC has taken the lead in development now.

What bothers me the most about the Destiny debacle, is Bungie abandoned the audience that built their company. Merely mentioning games like Marathon and Myth sends most people nowadays into a look of puzzlement. Technically, wasn't Halo initially a Mac game, before becoming a PC title? Until Microsoft came in with enormous bags of money and said fuck those people, we want you to make games for OUR console exclusively. It's gross to me. And as far as I know anything regarding Destiny 2 is sheer speculation, so the likelihood of this job posting being about that seems far fetched. In fact, I don't think Destiny 2 has even been officially announced, or even implied by Bungie at this point in time.

I understand exclusivity and its reasons, but it's titles like this that miss the PC market is really frustrating. In fact, I'm STILL pissed there isn't a PC RDR.

Yeah, Bungie pulled impressive double "betrayal" with Halo. First from Mac to PC then from PC to Xbox.

It's interesting that now because of Steamspy data, we have some idea who buy the games in PC market space. Not total as it ignores many retail titles (still popular in europe), publisher exclusive titles (all modern EA games, Blizzard games), big chunk of games from UPlay and Rockstar social club and of course other digital stores like Good Old games.

I don't think we have similar data on consoles. Who buys what and how many. We only have lifetimes sales like solid Wii attachment rate of nearly 10 per sold console unit. I wonder how many software units their top 1% own. I think I'm part of Steams 0.1-0.5% :D

Anyway, when we're talking about Destiny and Red Dead Redemption, we're not talking about some mid tier AA production by some relatively unknown developer. Both those games are as mainstream as it gets. Here's how popular Destiny is - Before Destiny's release, Watch Dogs was the most sold new IP ever during it's lauch month. Destiny sold even better Watch Dogs. You don't get numbers like that from just the hardcore crowd. And Red Dead Redemption? It shipped over 14 million units (up from 13 million from 2012, meaning since they have increased inventory over the years, it has sold to customers more the 13 million units).
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-reaches-14-million-copies-ship/1100-6429928/

Anyway, when we're talking about Destiny and Red Dead Redemption, we're not talking about some mid tier AA production by some relatively unknown developer. Both those games are as mainstream as it gets.
I disagree that third-person shooter westerns and MMO shooters are mainstream. Both were a risk. To me it makes perfect sense that PC versions were not developed alongside the console originals. Development hell probably killed any chance of RDR on PC and Destiny may yet come to PC.

If these games are mainstream where are the other third person westerns and MMO shooters?

If these games are mainstream where are the other third person westerns and MMO shooters?

It has nothing to do with genre and everything to do with who the developers are. Blizzard, Bungie and Rockstar games announcements and releases are always events. Rockstar made stupid table tennis game to test their RAGA engine and gaming press wouldn't shut up about it. Red Dead Redemption was 100+ million project and Destiny 500 million (including main game, all the DLC and expansions and advertisement for all those products). To mess up genrelines even more, Red Dead Redemption was said to be GTA 1911 (not that I agree with it because storyline and writing style is so different) and Destiny was Halo MMO (again, not that I agree with it).

I disagree. I think for the most part your average gamer (i.e. not the folks who regularly read/post to forums like this or visit IGN/GameSpot/Eurogamer) has no real appreciation of specific developers or publishers. I point you to the exit of Infinity Ward core staff to Respawn and the negligible impact it had on the subsequent Call of Duty release.

L.A Noire made a lot of buzz but not a lot of sales - the last figure I can find being 5 millions sales across 360, PS3 and Windows. I doubt many have even heard of Rockstar's Beaterator. GTA has cache because the franchise has been running for 18 years and for the past 14 years has been mired in controversy. Destiny was new IP, RDR was a sequel to a game that was scored mostly 7 out 10s. You are, again, looking at things with the benefit of hindsight. Game developers and publishers often have little idea how games will be received. Many developers have gone on record as saying that their games often don't really come together until the final few months, before that you just have a lot of disparate pieces that you hope to mesh together well.

You might want to read the story about how Sony bagged that GTA III exclusivity window [Eurogamer] from ex-Sony Computer Entertainment Europe boss Chris Deering, which underlines this point.

My thought process was Destiny sold because it looks a bit Halo/Mass Effect-ish, appealing to fans of both, and the Bungie name along with huge advertising budget helped get mindshare flowing.

Last edited:
To me the game sounds fantastic. Not enough to buy a PS4 though.

the game is so great, thus making the player care enough to compliant non-stop.

BTW about destiny 2, taken king is destiny 2 from Tue version number. but from the leaked presentation, its destiny 1.5 comet. destiny 2 will released after 2 dlc

Tuesday's version number ?

1.5 comet ?
sorry! my PC have no keyboard and my remote from android seems bugged.

I mean the taken king will have version "2".

but according to the leaked presentation and Activision contract, the taken king is destiny" comet" that is destiny 1.5 despite the version number is 2

Whelp. I grew too impatient. It didn't help that my roommate and basically all of my friends play this on consoles. I bought a PS4 Taken King bundle. It wasn't too expensive, considering it gives you the console and all of Destiny's DLC.

So, if there are any PS4 players out there, lemme know. We can do stuff.

Whelp. I grew too impatient. It didn't help that my roommate and basically all of my friends play this on consoles. I bought a PS4 Taken King bundle. It wasn't too expensive, considering it gives you the console and all of Destiny's DLC.

So, if there are any PS4 players out there, lemme know. We can do stuff.

add me same username as here.

btw you want to enjoy every bit of the game or just run through all of them?

add me same username as here.

btw you want to enjoy every bit of the game or just run through all of them?

Cool. Will do! I'm gonna take my time first time through. My biggest concern is I detest controllers. There's an adapter called a XIM4 which allows you to use a mouse and keyboard. I'm contemplating getting it. The package arrives tonight then I have to set up the PSN account. Then I'll be ready to roll :)

Cool. Will do! I'm gonna take my time first time through. My biggest concern is I detest controllers. There's an adapter called a XIM4 which allows you to use a mouse and keyboard. I'm contemplating getting it. The package arrives tonight then I have to set up the PSN account. Then I'll be ready to roll :)

the experience is not the same as PC Mouse though.. But besure to update the profile to give the best mouse feel.

Destiny also have very nasty auto aim + sticky mode that cant be disabled but can be minimized with very specific set of weapon lens and perks. Using Mouse, you want to have the sticky-mode as low as possible.

I gave up waiting, too. Really enjoyed the demo on 360 (Halo Reach's sublime gameplay plus my favourite game feature: loot!) and genuinely expected Destiny to drop on PC Q1/Q2 this year.

In the end, I got the best version: the PS3 version! Play online for free! :D Enjoying it very much, but I'm having to abstain from PC gaming for the duration, as shifting across from 624P30 to 1200P60 might mean I can never return! (The first day I kept pausing the game to go into the options and set the correct resolution... y'know, like if you fire up a PC game without checking, and it's in 1024x768 by default? But I got used to it pretty quickly, and am having lots of fun! :))

I wonder if there was some sort of... err... mutual understanding to keep this off PC, as I can see this game shifting a lot of subscriptions. Maybe.

But if you want Destiny, and haven't played Warframe yet, I think I enjoyed Warframe just as much. And Warframe is free! :)

I should add, I got Destiny Vanilla first, last month. Great gameplay, but the campaign was sub-Minesweeper and the end-game stuff was horribly limited. The Taken King adds so much stuff, including a campaign and lots of Malcolm Reynolds... it drags a 6/10 game up to a 9/10 game. All it needs now is decent player communication and social stuff, and Brian Blessed.

Back