Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Damn I couldn't even get 1 S rating in Ground Zeroes! Not that I've tried too many times but I've had a few cracks at some of the missions. Can't imagine getting getting an S in 50+ missions as well as all the side ops/tasks.

I've spend a lot of hours (70 or so) on it myself, and I'd say it's a mess of wonderfully realized gameplay systems nestling inside a framework that is utterly undercooked.I finished each main MGS game at least 4 or 5 times. MGS V is the first in the serie I have very little desire to see through even once.

I've had a lot of fun with it. It's not a bad game by any means. That said, to me it's a bitter disappointment.

Just saying that :

I've spend a lot of hours (70 or so) on it myself,

may equate to
I finished each main MGS game at least 4 or 5 times.

won't it? considering earlier entries were linear game. MGS4 wasn't longer than 14 hours at max. Don't remember MGS3 and 2 now, lenght wise. But i think you have already spent that time in the game, so its more like the fun u had replaying it is already there in the first "playthrough".

Just saying , of course, I got derailed by SOMA and since it KNew it was short I went ahead and finished that first.

A warning: do not play Quiet side mission before you have finished the game (get S in all missions, complete all side ops, complete all tasks, etc...)
Even better if you have the Butterfly emblem use it and do not change it EVER.

You will thank me later.
Why? or is it a spoiler?

Damn I couldn't even get 1 S rating in Ground Zeroes! Not that I've tried too many times but I've had a few cracks at some of the missions. Can't imagine getting getting an S in 50+ missions as well as all the side ops/tasks.

Side ops don't have ranking, thankfully.
As for the tasks it's 99% of the times meaningless stuff designed to make you spend/waste more time than you want/need to, a cheap way to encrease the game lenght IMO.
If you do not care about scores you can complete missions fast, really fast andand often more effectively.

@Nesh

Minor spoiler:
after the side ops a mission follows and after that you can't have her as a buddy in any mission even re-play.

Last edited:
@Nesh

Minor spoiler:
after the side ops a mission follows and after that you can't have her as a buddy in any mission even re-play.
What? Is that a bug or is it intentional??

I find this quite strange as I havent found anyone having this issue with using Quiet. People attempt to use her before they finish the full game

Last edited:
It's intentional.
I didn't know and now I am quite handicapped...thank god I got S ranking in almost all missions on my first try so I will manage but it's going to be a Phantom Pain TM to re-play several missions and complete all the tasks anyway now.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Playstation app earlier on my phone and it looks like Metal Gear Online is available now.

Just saying that :

may equate to

won't it? considering earlier entries were linear game. MGS4 wasn't longer than 14 hours at max. Don't remember MGS3 and 2 now, lenght wise. But i think you have already spent that time in the game, so its more like the fun u had replaying it is already there in the first "playthrough".

Just saying , of course, I got derailed by SOMA and since it KNew it was short I went ahead and finished that first.

Only if you equate the amount of time spent to the amount of entertainment you had. It's a lot of fun to play around with the core mechanics of MGS5 because they are so damn good. That is for some 30-ish hours. Afterwards it certainly got less and less entertaining for me. Right now I'm playing the game the same way I'm watching light, inoffensive and generally disposable early evening tv programing: I'm coming back to it every once in a while because it's comfort food and I have an hour to kill. But I'm also abandoning it the instant something new comes up. I have completed both Soma and Resident Evil Revelations 2 while playing MGS5. I never really do that when I'm loving a game.
For me, it mostly comes down to the fact that MGSV doesn't have any hooks besides an unlock treadmill. That and a story that is so scattershot and low in the mix it might as well not even be there at all. There's also very little in terms of memorable gameplay peaks to break up the repetitive extract-or-kill missions. For example, I have yet to experience the kind of rush I used to get from defeating the series' bosses in the past.

Last edited:
I played again today after a longtime spent in SOMA and Destiny and enjoyed it but I can understand clearly what u r saying there. I hope to play it regularly now and see how it goes, been so inventive and engaging till now, its just that the Destiny friends just pull me there again n again.

To be honest you can't do much compared to other open world games or even to other stealth games.
You can do more in Just Cause or Far Cry in therms of pure action playstyle and you can do more in therms of stealth in Splinter Cell or Dishonored or Batman.
MGS V is very behind times, it feels old already, when it comes to freedom.
Did we play the same game?
MGSV is hands down the best stealth game ever made.
The only other game that I can think of that even comes close to this level of sandbox gameplay is the original Crysis.

Last edited:
What? Is that a bug or is it intentional??

I find this quite strange as I havent found anyone having this issue with using Quiet. People attempt to use her before they finish the full game

There is a way to keep her. I didn't and don't really regret even though she was my favorite buddy.
Her leaving is actually one of the better parts of the MGS5 storyline

Plus, she is cheese anyway. About the only thing she is missing as a buddy is the ability to give you a piggy back ride across the map.

Send in her to scout a location and she will reveal about 70-80% of the NPCs at that location, while picking up ammo and other supplies and leaving them along the outside edges of the location.

Give her an attack command and she can basically remove 70-80% of the opposition before you get there. Give her a silencer and she is even more overpowered (she is harder for NPCs to find and target her). Nevermind, that even if she basically puts a base on full alert, it doesn't count against your mission ranking. Meaning she can serve as a great distraction, letting you get in and out without much effort because everyone else is on the other side of the map.

On top of that, her "cover me" function also allows her to target and take out the alerted NPC during reflex mode when your aim is too sloppy. Also you can manually choose her targets and when to fire, meaning using her allows you to carry more high powered wares and still have all the utility that a sniper offers.

If I could give her a code name it would be "Cheat Code" because thats what it can feel like when using her fully.

When she left, I had to start really playing MGSV using my skills again.

Last edited:
Did we play the same game?
MGSV is hands down the best stealth game ever made.
The only other game that I can think of that even comes close to this level of sandbox gameplay is the original Crysis.

It's not the best stealth game I have payed...and it's my opinion, if you like it so much then good for you.
Map design it's too bi-dimensional and shallow and the limited traversal put it below Dishonored, Batman or Splinter Cell...crawling is a lot of fun though.
Sure infiltrating a village in the middle of nowhere is fun, the first 3 times, after that it's become boring.

MGS 1 & 3 are my favourite MGS, this one doesn't hold the candle to them IMO.

Last edited:
It's not the best stealth game I have payed...and it's my opinion, if you like it so much then good for you.
Map design it's too bi-dimensional and shallow and the limited traversal put it below Dishonored, Batman or Splinter Cell...crawling is a lot of fun though.
Sure infiltrating a village in the middle of nowhere is fun, the first 3 times, after that it's become boring.

then do it different way.

for example you got mission to take care a convoy. Instead of blowing them up...

put D Horse ont he middle of the road. Run a bit back. when convoy meet D Horse, they will stop. Now fulton them one by one from behind :D

There is a way to keep her. I didn't and don't really regret even though she was my favorite buddy.
Her leaving is actually one of the better parts of the MGS5 storyline

Plus, she is cheese anyway. About the only thing she is missing as a buddy is the ability to give you a piggy back ride across the map.

Send in her to scout a location and she will reveal about 70-80% of the NPCs at that location, while picking up ammo and other supplies and leaving them along the outside edges of the location.

Give her an attack command and she can basically remove 70-80% of the opposition before you get there. Give her a silencer and she is even more overpowered (she is harder for NPCs to find and target her). Nevermind, that even if she basically puts a base on full alert, it doesn't count against your mission ranking. Meaning she can serve as a great distraction, letting you get in and out without much effort because everyone else is on the other side of the map.

On top of that, her "cover me" function also allows her to target and take out the alerted NPC during reflex mode when your aim is too sloppy. Also you can manually choose her targets and when to fire, meaning using her allows you to carry more high powered wares and still have all the utility that a sniper offers.

If I could give her a code name it would be "Cheat Code" because thats what it can feel like when using her fully.

When she left, I had to start really playing MGSV using my skills again.

hmm, any way to STOP quiet killing people that i alerted? its getting annoying now...

then do it different way.

for example you got mission to take care a convoy. Instead of blowing them up...

put D Horse ont he middle of the road. Run a bit back. when convoy meet D Horse, they will stop. Now fulton them one by one from behind :D

Done already...BTW in Backup Back Down there is a truck to block the road and you can use to extract all vehicles easy.
For the record I got S in all mission, zero kills/alerts in ALL missions.
My "horn/metal fragment" never grew, because I barely killed anyone.

And as far experimenting goes I deal with
Skulls
with melee :yes:

But none of those games give you the amount of options and mechanics of MGS5.
Even the mission objectives and how they let you give absolute freedom in completing them is far beyond of any other games.

But none of those games give you the amount of options and mechanics of MGS5.
Even the mission objectives and how they let you give absolute freedom in completing them is far beyond of any other games.

You can do a lot in Splinter Cell or Dishonored or Batman considered that all areas are not open.
There are 21 different predator take down that can be performed in a single room in Batman: Arkahm Knight, not bad IMO.
Every single area is way more open and varied in Splinter cell or Disordered in virtue of the fact hat because you can free-climb/teleport.

To be honest hat's off to those games for offering so much without begin open world.

You can do a lot in Splinter Cell or Dishonored or Batman considered that all areas are not open.
There are 21 different predator take down that can be performed in a single room in Batman: Arkahm Knight, not bad IMO.
Every single area is way more open and varied in Splinter cell or Disordered in virtue of the fact hat because you can free-climb/teleport.

To be honest hat's off to those games for offering so much without begin open world.
There are 21 different predator take downs but most feel like the same takedowns and are automatically performed by a press of a button depending where you are hiding. I simply stood in places and waited for the enemy to come close to press triangle. Some of them you dont even know why they are considered different takedowns than others. MGS V has none of the automations that other similar games tend to suffer a lot from
MGS V has an element which is lacking in both Splinter Cell and Batman(I havent played dishonoured). There are lots of experimentation. Things can happen which you didnt even know were possible in the game. I am sure many of them even Hideo Kojima didnt think were possible. The game has so many interactions and variables which give a lot more ways to blend them and see what is going to happen. The player has more freedom to be creative

Back