nVidia closing gap with GFFX 5900XT?

Just to quickly answer your question Walt, the eVGA GeForce FX 5900 SE (and any GeForce FX 5900 XT card for that matter) retails for $200, just as the MSRP of the 9600 XT is $199. Street prices are an entirely different matter.

ABS Computer/Newegg (same company) purchases in large quantities and are able to secure lower prices. They then pass these savings on to consumers in the form of lower street prices.

Nvidia's driver may well be smaller than ATI's, but it would be smaller still without the popup blocker, and that's unrelated to the core function of a graphics driver.

It's not like ATI's new toys which love them, hate them, or ignore them, are all related to the core functions of graphics.

since the pop-up stopper is part of the nVies desktop manager, it's only fair to compare it to the features of hydavision.

http://mirror.ati.com/companyinfo/glossary/hydravision/features.html

Switch between desktop with a mouse click or "Hot Key"
Assign Hot Key shortcuts for the functions you use most often, including: moving active applications or windows to specific monitors; accessing HYDRAVISIONâ„¢ controls on the fly; opening applications with a single keystroke; and zooming your view of the desktop.

"Always-on-Top"
This feature allows you to select whether an application window will always remain on top even if another application window is opened or moved over this previous window. Default mode is turned off for Always-on-Top feature. Right clicking on the applications title bar will display a new menu feature for Always-on-Top.

Cycle through desktops view
In multi-desktop mode, you can now use the mouse wheel to cycle through the different desktops configured on the system.

that's just a sample, of course. most of the features of either compaies desktop managers have almost nothing to do directly with graphics.
c:

-edit- as for size, sure the drivers would be smaller without the extra features (in this case, the pop-up stopper everone seams to be fixated on). but how much smaller is the question. i have no hard information on the amount of space the stopper takes up in the driver package, but since it appeared in the 50 series det/forcware release, and the 50 series is smaller than the 30 and 40 series (see my post on page 2), it's really a non-issue. the drivers are smaller than before and have more features.

The popup stopper is just one of those funny things that ISP's offer you to try and get you to use their service....it's just hilarious to see nVidia use the same tactic..."New nVidia 9.0 Optimized with popup blocker".....a junk-mail filter will be next.....

micron said:
.....a junk-mail filter will be next.....
There's a market for that. I heard good things of Thunderbird's span filter, but now that I'm using it, I can't believe how crappy it is.
I'm seriously considering switching back to Outlook 2000 with an anti-spam statistical plugin.

BUT, if NVIDIA managed to create a top-notch junk-mail filter for Outlook Express, they might have a market! ;)

Uttar

I'm pretty sure Thunderbird also uses Bayes filtering (I'm sure mozilla does), so the results will probably be close.
Note though that the spam filter mozilla uses definitely needs to be trained, as it doesn't shipped with a database. Results will not be good first, but I found the filter works very well after some time (it cuts the spam I get from 50 mails or so per day to about one, and there seem to be 0 false positives since quite some time now).

Thunderbird uses it. After two days of filtering spam (about 20 total), it misses maybe 1 in 100 now. Plus, I haven't seen it create any false positives from personal mail; bulk mail that is legitimate is another story, of course, but once I train it for that, I get all of those too (I get all PM notifications, reported posts, new content from sites I read, etc.).

Uttar said:
micron said:
There's a market for that. I heard good things of Thunderbird's span filter, but now that I'm using it, I can't believe how crappy it is.
I'm seriously considering switching back to Outlook 2000 with an anti-spam statistical plugin.

BUT, if NVIDIA managed to create a top-notch junk-mail filter for Outlook Express, they might have a market! ;)

Uttar

I bet they have looked into a "filter" that would change all bad scores displayed on web sites to much better scores. I bet it would only add 80-90 MB to the driver size. You wouldn't want all your customers to see the "junk" benchmarks. It would only be for their own good.

Zvekan said:
So drivers become bloatware? Popup is a no no in drivers as far as I can see. It has nothing to do with graphics cards and only takes resources away.

it's probably there to filter out bad web reviews. :oops:

:edit:

hehe I see I've been beaten to this conclusion by a good mile or so... :LOL:

CBFed reading the entire thread here are my thoughts.

NV35 and above chipsets are decent chipsets and there preformance exceed ati counter parts in certain situtations so of course the 5900XT or whatever it is does close the gap in certain places it probably preferable to its ati coutner part.

On spam I choose to use mozilla as my mail client therefore it already has integrated bayes filtering.

Uttar said:
micron said:

Uttar
The problem with Thunderbird's bayesian filter is that it ships completely 100% UNtrained.
So it takes a while longer to get it trained right and proper.

Yeah, I know Thunderbird ships untrained. So do most good stastical plugins, including the one I used before.
What I cannot stand with Thunderbird is the lack of an "unsure" folder. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. The system I used before it gave a % to every spam message and you could decide what went to "inbox", "unsure" and "spam". I sincerly prefer to have no spam e-mails in my inbox and a few more in my unsure folder. Although maybe I'm just asking for too much here :?

Uttar

Uttar said:
Yeah, I know Thunderbird ships untrained. So do most good stastical plugins, including the one I used before.
What I cannot stand with Thunderbird is the lack of an "unsure" folder. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. The system I used before it gave a % to every spam message and you could decide what went to "inbox", "unsure" and "spam". I sincerly prefer to have no spam e-mails in my inbox and a few more in my unsure folder. Although maybe I'm just asking for too much here :?

Uttar
I dont know, because i get no spam in my inbox, its all in the junk folder.
So no, i dont get what you want...

I beleive there's a plugin or two based off SpamAssassin that provides for the three classifications of mails: Legit (Inbox), Unsure, Spam. I haven't set it up, but from quick glance it seems to provide those mechanisms.

Ok, I Have registered here to ask one question alone:

When are we going to see a full blown review of this card at Beyond3D??

See, in gaming circles, I'm a hard-core gamer BTW, this card is getting some amazing word of mouth at the moment. But, as has been adaquetly pointed out in this thread, the reviews to date leave something to be desired. So, I'm wondering, when is the crew of this site coming around to do its stuff on Nvidia's latest??

H-52, NVIDIA is dumping NV35's it can't sell or can't clock at default speeds. The result is a decent price for us consumers, but I'm staying far away.

1. I can't find this in retail which to me means NVIDIA is trying to offload these in a hurry (especially since B&M stores are stuck with $199 or greater 5700 Ultras)

2. There's been no formal product launch or announcement from the PR happy NVIDIA - This product just snuck in mysteriously over time.

3. Calling this the XT to me is a ploy to confuse customers which again raises alarm bells.

4. I've been burned with the 5800 when all looked well after the first few reviews

Personally I've learned my lesson and will stay away from the FX line. If you're really interested in a part at the $200 segment, I'd wait a bit longer for something.

Ok, thanks for the replys guys.

So I undertsand that untill Nvidia formally announces its card Beyond3D will stand behind it's FX 5900 review. Ok that's fine with me.But of course that review still indicated some problems with PS2.0 performance.So for the moment I still dont think it's safe to buy one.

And lar2r, I've seen alot of people like you who have been burnt by the FX series. Most especially the poor folk who went out and got a 5600. And yep, Like many people I'm interested in a 200 euro piece but for the moment I'm going to hold off.

Back