Ripping models for non commercial use?

Hey guys.

Im pretty much a newcomer and i looked at this forum, maybe I am at the wrong place, and I not gonna be trolling.

But ripping models from games for non commercial use are illegal? (I want to do it to my special favourite game just because i want to look at the models how they were made and MAYBE want to include some of them in my map (I meant the commercial here selling it) which is free to play on(So its ok to play with but Im not waiting someone to give money to me because of it)(Correct me if im wrong).

If thats commercial too then im NOT going to include them into my map.

Im having a specific question here, about a specific game.
The game is Resident Evil Code Veronica, and my problem is that i cant rip the models from the game.
I searched for Quick BMS scripts, 3d via printscreen, texmod etc etc, but I just cant.

I really would like to have all of the models of the game because i want to learn about them want to look at and estimate how they were made, and because it really inspired my modelling hobby and I really really like that game
(even though I play it since im like 11-12)
The music the graphics the everything got me on that game.

I searched all the way in google after the models or if maybe someone ripped em then I found someone here.
I instantly registered and searched for the guy (EsppiraK) who posted a picture about Claire's Cutscene model.
T-posed and all good as I saw it.

Unluckily I cant write to him for some reason, to ask him how he aquired it.
I even would give him some money for the Information because I really NEED those models.
(I dont have that much money, my job even sucks my time from modelling :( )

Sorry if it been long, sorry if its in the wrong place but I really really want to know how he did that.

Thanks for any answers:)

I would not want to distribute them then just have it for myself.
And nor i want EsppiraK to distribute it to me directly just if he's available to tell me the way to it I would be really thankful.

Ah. New users can't send private messages. You might want to post in the other thread you found and point to this post.

I would not want to distribute them then just have it for myself.
Technically, ripping files from games very likely violates the "shrink-wrap" EULA you supposedly agree to when installing the game. Who would know of your violation though (unless you tell people yourself)? Nobody. :)

The legality of these EULAs is also murky and disputed, so there's also that. However if you distribute anything you will absolutely commit copyright violation, which could be very bad if caught. The records and movie industry lobbies have pumped up copyright infringement offenses to absolutely ridiculous levels, so you'd be wise to keep everything you rip on your own system. :)

There might be some EULA crap but I'm not sure if there's been any court cases anywhere in the world. In EU EULAs seem to mean very little at least. I've seen various models ripped and imported to other games. When I was in college in late 90's, I ripped off models from various games, mostly car games and created custom skins for 'em and then rendered 'em with 3dmax. I tested google search "Garry's Mod" "Final Fantasy" and first video was Final Fantasy models in funny poses in Garry's Mod with 200k views. Legal or not, I doubt many care.

Hey guys.

Im pretty much a newcomer and i looked at this forum, maybe I am at the wrong place, and I not gonna be trolling.

But ripping models from games for non commercial use are illegal? (I want to do it to my special favourite game just because i want to look at the models how they were made and MAYBE want to include some of them in my map (I meant the commercial here selling it) which is free to play on(So its ok to play with but Im not waiting someone to give money to me because of it)(Correct me if im wrong).

If thats commercial too then im NOT going to include them into my map.

Im having a specific question here, about a specific game.
The game is Resident Evil Code Veronica, and my problem is that i cant rip the models from the game.
I searched for Quick BMS scripts, 3d via printscreen, texmod etc etc, but I just cant.

I really would like to have all of the models of the game because i want to learn about them want to look at and estimate how they were made, and because it really inspired my modelling hobby and I really really like that game
(even though I play it since im like 11-12)
The music the graphics the everything got me on that game.

I searched all the way in google after the models or if maybe someone ripped em then I found someone here.
I instantly registered and searched for the guy (EsppiraK) who posted a picture about Claire's Cutscene model.
T-posed and all good as I saw it.

Unluckily I cant write to him for some reason, to ask him how he aquired it.
I even would give him some money for the Information because I really NEED those models.
(I dont have that much money, my job even sucks my time from modelling :( )

Sorry if it been long, sorry if its in the wrong place but I really really want to know how he did that.

Thanks for any answers:)

Hi, I didn't know anyone had ripped the models from code veronica before.

Ok, I'll show you how to rip some of the models from the game.

Firts of you will need a version of Dolphin compatible with 3DRipper DX, Dolphin 3.5 should do the

work, 3D ripper, 3DS max and a copy of Resident Evil code Veronica (Obviously) for the Gamecube.

First thing you should Know is that the game has actually the custscene models hidden begind the

walls of some rooms, take a look at this example.

Here it is, Chris in a "room"

zN0tMTQ.jpg

Ok, so let's activate the wireframe hack on Dolphin and see what happens...

pi0CZTQ.jpg

Look, behind that wall, at the bottom right of the image, there is someone in T pose!!! let's take a closer look with the camera hack.

PPlDpLY.jpg

HOjdN6h.jpg

It is the High Poly Custscene model!!!

You can activate the free camera hack in combination with the wireframe hack and look around the environments, specially those on whicth at some point a cutscene takes place, and you may find the High poly cutscene model hidden.

We are almost done!!! just export it to your preffered 3D model program and that it is!!! your beautifull Code veronica model ready to get rigged!!!!

X4TC8SX.jpg

Profit!!!

Sorry for the misspells, I did this tuto super fast!!

:)

Holymoly man this is SO awesome at so many levels.
Thanks for sharing it with me, these cutscene models are just wow detailed.
The Blender plugin is helpful as hell, Im very much in your dept for helping me man really.

If the Time comes ill show my project with these its gonna take half a time because of the Blender plugin which helps me a LOT.

Thank you very much again.I cant describe how much I thank you :):)

You might want to look at the xentax forums if you haven't already. They have lots of discussions on extracting model data from all sorts of games as well as lists of tools and the like. I've been working on extracting all the models, textures and animations from Gladius for my own private unity game and they were definitely a good starting point.

Back