Google Chrome

cant tell chrome because it downloads a stub (msi = 32mb)

:???: Hmm...

In Programs and Features it doesn't report the size.
And even worse- I cannot find where it is installed- not in Program files but the shortcut reports "C \ Users\ ... \ AppData\ etc" which as a folder is not visible at all.
When typing "Google Chrome" in the Search, 4-5 results pop up but only shortcuts of several kilobytes... :rolleyes:

Edit:
Found it- Google Chrome folder- 376 MB

In that folder you can see that the older version is around 120 MB, while the latest update is ~230 MB...

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember destroying my Windows 98 by updating from IE5 to IE6, and I was peeved :) but not biggie, I was used to reinstalling that good old win9x friend. All relevant CD-ROM's file were in D:\WIN98 and I think the key was VGF6G-7JJVD-Q62HD-KWR9J-RJ7M6.
yeah, right. If I still know it by hand that must mean we have it so more easy these days!

These days I do an "apt-get upgrade" and sometimes get 150MB of updates, thanksfully it's mostly about replacing foo 1.10.1.31 with foo 1.10.1.32 and so it's neutral or almost, regarding hard disk space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know either, to me I read it as "Don't close Google Chrome when it's closed", and is irrelevant if you don't install a "background app" from the Chrome marketplace (or whatever it's called). Maybe there are torrenting apps or VNC servers written in javascript or something.. The checkbox feels like "turn your browser into Chrome OS".

I remember destroying my Windows 98 by updating from IE5 to IE6, and I was peeved :) but not biggie, I was used to reinstalling that good old win9x friend. All relevant CD-ROM's file were in D:\WIN98 and I think the key was VGF6G-7JJVD-Q62HD-KWR9J-RJ7M6.
yeah, right. If I still know it by hand that must mean we have it so more easy these days!

Oh man, I remember those days. As well as WinXP before SP 3. I'd schedule an OS clean install once a year.

I haven't had to do any of that since Vista. In fact, my current desktop hasn't had a clean install since Vista launched. It was a directly upgrade to Win7 and then a direct upgrade to Win8. And everything is still running smoothly and flawlessly. Things have indeed changed quite a bit.

Oh and that includes 3 or 4 motherboard upgrades including CPU, mem, GPU, etc. Things like that would have Win9x in a mess in no time.

Regards,
SB

Among the different browsers available, Google Chrome is the most convenient one to use. If you are searching for something, all you need to do is to type it on the address bar and you will immediately get results from Google.

Among the different browsers available, Google Chrome is the most convenient one to use. If you are searching for something, all you need to do is to type it on the address bar and you will immediately get results from Google.

Every browser can do that.

Every browser can do that.

Chrome does it by default whereas Firefox and IE seem to want to try and resolve every permutation of possible DNS before it goes to search, or they do something to make sure it is much slower than Chrome.

Does anyone know how to make freshly opened new tabs in Chrome show just a blank page (like good ole about:blank)?

I don't want to be slapped in the face with my default search engine's logo and have all my recent web visits advertised to anyone in the vicinity every time I open a new tab.

Google's own answer to this seems to be themes from what I've been able to find on my own, but that's decidedly overkill, and not what I was looking for anyway. I'd just like a nice, blank paper tab, thanksalot... ;)

Can you set the number of displayed web sites to zero?
Or pin a dummy site or about:blank there?

If the settings have been "simplified" so that you can't do anything like that about it you have to use an extension - if the extension itself is allowed to modify the "new tab" page.

chrome://settings/

On startup
X Open a specific page or set of pages (point it to this file)

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</head>
<body/>
</html>

Can you set the number of displayed web sites to zero?
No idea how or where to do that, there doesn't seem to be such a setting.

I don't even know who this feature is supposed to be for anyway. A pile of sites just poured out on a screen is not very intuitive or useful.
On startup
X Open a specific page or set of pages (point it to this file)
Yeah, thanks, but I've got that covered already; the "on startup" setting is different from freshly opened new tabs... :(

Back