Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

The covie weaponry is pretty powerful when you don't try and use it like a COD rife.

Plasma pistol is a motherfucker, needlers and stickies causes people to get rekt.

Stickies are the ultimate revenge.

Hunt The Truth tumblr blog has been updated with a series of 4-5 clips of 4 seconds each of what looks like planetary destruction. Pretty neat.

Hunt The Truth tumblr blog has been updated with a series of 4-5 clips of 4 seconds each of what looks like planetary destruction. Pretty neat.

Cool. Also episode 1 is available...so that's 3 episodes including the pre-season and Episode 0. I didn't follow these until a few days ago, but weren't they about a week apart.

Episode 1 is a little over 20 minutes.

Ughh, so it will be another 2+ years until we get a REAL 30 FPS, truly next gen, Halo now, most likely...Never thought I'd see 343 pull a Bungie Halo 3 and sabotage Halo's graphics for some weird side crusade..

I am ok with either locked 60 or locked 30, the only thing i was worried about was that this might not be a locked 60. I would still prefer 30 lock for campaign (go big, pull out some great visuals and whatnot) and 60 for multiplayer. But it seems like they went 60 for SP as well because of the heavy co-op nature of it i guess. It still looks good at 60 imo. AA works fine in the levels shown too.

343 have earned an awful lot of respect from me for making real efforts to maintain 60 fps. The best way to experience realtime gameplay mechanics represented through visuals is at sampling rates > 30 fps. Quality of perception is influenced by sampling rate, and consistency of sampling rate.

Not to mention that psychological immersion is higher at more natural seeming update rates (and yeah that's backed up by, like, science and shit). And given how hard they're pushing narrative and atmosphere in H5 that can only be a good thing.

Take the hard road and you might just find yourself in a new place.

I'm almost there. I'm almost ready to brofist 343 and spunk on a new console to give them another chance.

Ughh, so it will be another 2+ years until we get a REAL 30 FPS, truly next gen, Halo now, most likely...Never thought I'd see 343 pull a Bungie Halo 3 and sabotage Halo's graphics for some weird side crusade..

Eh? 30 FPS would absolute ruin the graphics. Sure it'll look nice in screenshots but there isn't a single action game in existence, IMO, that looks good in motion at 30 FPS.

It's one of the main reasons I stopped buying consoles games (also why I never go to the Cinema anymore. Pay money for jerky film filled with studder whenever the camera moves?). 30 FPS just looks horrible. Controls horribly. And is overall the worst possible thing you could do to an action game...again, in my opinion.

Meh, I know people can somehow tolerate 30 FPS, more power to them. I'm not one of them. I will no longer buy anything that is stuck at 30 FPS. Why subject myself to horrible looking graphics in motion + horrible control response? Again, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Absolutely disappointed they had to stick to 60fps and butcher the living hell out of the native res, I mean dip to 1152 x 810 is legit 18+ horror right there especially the abrupt transition to 1080p on the next scene. It would be like watching an Imax picture and suddenly jumped into retro cinema from the 80s intermittently. The sacrifice for other visual elements are also great such as low res environment textures, barren landscape (as always in Halo franchise), poor explosion effects and low AF. No body complained about 30fps Halo games on X360 last gen, most people enjoyed them and they're fully playable to anyone. I understand the need for 60fps for some people but you gotta balance the fps and graphics more delicately especially on such an underpowered console. How do you optimize for a smooth experience while still offering a generation leap in graphics? For the Bone 900/30 or 1080/30 is ideal. Don't even go 60fps if you're stuck with a 1.1tf or 1.84tf for the matter machine for another 5 years.

I don't agree that framerate is the be-all, end-all of player immersion. An example, i can play Project Cars at 120+ fps on my PC but i still find Driveclub more immersive which runs at a quarter of that framerate. 30 (locked) in non MP competitive games is perfectly fine imo. The Halo series became very popular at that framerate to begin with, both SP and MP. Destiny is very popular as well, same refresh rate. Not to mention that aiming for 60hz probably killed one of the most loved features of the Halo franchise, split screen multiplayer. Can't even count how many hours I've spent playing with friends 4 player local multiplayer in Halo 1/2. I know for a fact that there will be people buying X1 and Halo 5 to play that way only to be disappointed. When it comes to closed platforms there's more to 60 v 30 than just "shinny graphics".

Last edited:
Absolutely disappointed they had to stick to 60fps and butcher the living hell out of the native res, I mean dip to 1152 x 810 is legit 18+ horror right there especially the abrupt transition to 1080p on the next scene. It would be like watching an Imax picture and suddenly jumped into retro cinema from the 80s intermittently. The sacrifice for other visual elements are also great such as low res environment textures, barren landscape (as always in Halo franchise), poor explosion effects and low AF. No body complained about 30fps Halo games on X360 last gen, most people enjoyed them and they're fully playable to anyone. I understand the need for 60fps for some people but you gotta balance the fps and graphics more delicately especially on such an underpowered console. How do you optimize for a smooth experience while still offering a generation leap in graphics? For the Bone 900/30 or 1080/30 is ideal. Don't even go 60fps if you're stuck with a 1.1tf or 1.84tf for the matter machine for another 5 years.

Interesting, that I never see this same sort of comment for games that use dynamic resolution on Playstation, PSP, or PSVita. :) Instead dynamic resolution is praised when it is used in games on those machines.

Meh, either way. 30 FPS just looks absolutely atrocious in motion to me. But then again 10-15 years ago aliasing was considered absolutely perfectly fine for games by most people just like 30 FPS is now. While aliasing is generally considered a bad thing now days.

Hopefully, we'll see more games move to 60 FPS on consoles just like more games use AA and AF now days. If so, I might get interested in console games again.

Regards,
SB

Interesting, that I never see this same sort of comment for games that use dynamic resolution on Playstation, PSP, or PSVita. :) Instead dynamic resolution is praised when it is used in games on those machines.

Meh, either way. 30 FPS just looks absolutely atrocious in motion to me. But then again 10-15 years ago aliasing was considered absolutely perfectly fine for games by most people just like 30 FPS is now. While aliasing is generally considered a bad thing now days.

Hopefully, we'll see more games move to 60 FPS on consoles just like more games use AA and AF now days. If so, I might get interested in console games again.

Regards,
SB
Personally I don't condone dynamic res on any systems be it Sony or ms. It's something that'll ruin the experience for me far more than a mediocre aa or even sub native res. I prefer consistency over pretending you could handle something but in actuality you couldn't.
And weren't you the one who's praising Ryse on xbone to sky high despite running sub 20fps sometimes? But yeah you do share my sympathy for your inability to physically enjoy a 30fps experience either in movies or games:).

Personally i can't enjoy anything below 144 fps, so that's why i only play League of Legends (300hz master race) and avoid playing other games, watching movies or youtube videos :yep2:

On a more serious note, i know of something that you may appreciate SB: https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page (at least for movies/youtube videos)

Then you simply haven't looked hard enough my friend. I played Rage on PS3 and it was awful. One minute I could see what I was shooting at and everything was gravy, the next my screen was smeared in vasiline and I was getting headaches by the constant focussing and refocussing of my eyes.

On handhelds its not the same thing either, because of the much higher pixel density and small screen, meaning that folks are less sensitive to resolution drops anyway, as they're less perceptible.

Dynamic res can work if the performance of the games stay relatively stable, so that the res doesn't change too much, and doesn't drop too low. Wipeout Fury on the PS3 is the only game I've played on home consoles that has done dynamic resolution well. But then I've not played many games on the whole that do it.

No split-screen means I'm not interested in buying this at all - it'd be the first Halo game you can't play with friends in the same room as you.
I will stick to playing Halo Reach and H3, MP gameplay in Reach is pretty much the best of the series anyway.

No split-screen means I'm not interested in buying this at all - it'd be the first Halo game you can't play with friends in the same room as you.
I will stick to playing Halo Reach and H3, MP gameplay in Reach is pretty much the best of the series anyway.

Split screen coop is a nice to have, but tbh I'd much rather experience an unbutchered single player version in all its glory.

If my mates come around they can always watch me play, or take it turns to do each level. It's not the ideal solution, but personally it doesn't impact me because my mates aren't even into games anyway.

Narrator is exposition-ing, but it doesn't tally with what's shown (regarding Chef).

The presentation reminds me of the Reach ad with Kat & original-Noble 6, but it lacks the music-only approach.

#loveLinda

Man this is going to be great, really looking forward to Episode 3 of hunt the truth now.

Back