The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt revealed

I haven't played in a while but I recall being the God of Gwent. None of the NPCs could beat me. They were meat for the machine.

Did you beat the high stakes Gwent tournament? Not just completed the mission, but actually beat every opponent?

If not, then PUNY GOD :)

Cards which you cannot get at this point in the game.

It's not rocket science, you need to play against weaker opponents first. You know, work your way up. You cant just attack the strongest enemies straight away in the game either and the same applies to your amateur deck of cards haha.

I didn't have any problems defeating opponents until this guy. His deck is just much stronger than any of the other opponents until now, mainly because he has like 6 of those cards than can call a whole bunch of other cards from his deck.

I didn't have any problems defeating opponents until this guy. His deck is just much stronger than any of the other opponents until now, mainly because he has like 6 of those cards than can call a whole bunch of other cards from his deck.

The strength of players varies quite a bit. Once you get more cards, more option become available to handle different opponents. Weather cards can take care of some monster lineups pretty nicely. Giving up a round after you have managed the opponent to throw down his powerful cards is a good tactic too as is switching cards in your deck. You don't need to beat this guy right now. You can buy some cards from taverns. Doing the Gwent quests will make you stronger too. The game offers valid challenge for quite a long time. The high stakes tournament later in the game is pretty hard, especially if you haven't basically maxed out your deck.

I didn't like playing gwent that much. Actually, I found it really boring.

Are there any story-driven quests that require me to play gwent? Should I force myself to play the card game?
I'm definitely not interested in playing it for the money, as I'm always limited by character level for the equipment I can buy/craft.

I didn't touch Gwent either. The game was mega long without further distractions! I would be more interested in a second screen Gwent game, though. I.e, something I can play on the train that is linked to the main main game.

Did you beat the high stakes Gwent tournament? Not just completed the mission, but actually beat every opponent?

If not, then PUNY GOD :)
I beat every single opponent on the first try. Only Puny God would need reloads :devilish:

It isn't very hard once you figure the AI out. Unfortunately the AI is very good. It also helps to fill your decks out so you draw 60% gold cards almost every time (I've had hands entirely of gold cards), but even then you'll occasionally get crap hands. Gotta have mad skillz :mrgreen:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1863937/

Last edited:
Are there any story-driven quests that require me to play gwent? Should I force myself to play the card game?
Nothing major. The high stakes tournament was fairly interesting side quest and you don't need to win a single match in it to finish the quest, but in the beginning some butler or somesuch says that he needs to check your Gwent deck for whether it's strong enough to enter the tournament. I don't know what the requirements are, but they might be somewhat high as the games are tough.

Only Puny God would need reloads :devilish:

But of course haha ;) reloads, never heard of them! :oops::D

Nothing major. The high stakes tournament was fairly interesting side quest and you don't need to win a single match in it to finish the quest, but in the beginning some butler or somesuch says that he needs to check your Gwent deck for whether it's strong enough to enter the tournament. I don't know what the requirements are, but they might be somewhat high as the games are tough.

But of course haha ;) reloads, never heard of them! :oops::D

I've turned up for tournament and was sent home because of weak cards and I thought at a time they were good as I was beating almost all opponents. Only after completing quest involving Zoltan and obtaining few more cards I was let in :)

Damn, this game's value is gigantic.
The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series should really take a hint from this game on how to keep an open world game alive.

And the quality of the main quest and even side quests..
I'm playing the Baron quest now. The deeper you dig, the more you understand how nothing is black or white in that world.
That right there is exactly what makes me love videogames.

After the terrible writing that Dragon Age got for all its shoehorned social/political crap, this game is such a masterpiece in comparison.

Damn, this game's value is gigantic.
The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series should really take a hint from this game on how to keep an open world game alive.

I'd also like Bethesda's games to be more like The Witcher 3 in some respects but Bethesda have a harder job in that the avatar (Geralt) in the Witcher 3 is well defined and his roll in lore can't be deviated from. I.e. he's a Witcher, he kills monsters and he doesn't (can't) kill innocents - so in respect of defining your role in the world you have less freedom than the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games where you can be anything you chose to be and the game needs to accomodate combinations of player choice.

Yes, Bethesda has the additional effort of allowing the creation of a "blank" character and dialog options for an enormous range of different character choices.
Geralt is an established character so NPC interaction is much more predictable.Credit is given where credit is due.

However, NPCs in Bethesda RPGs in both side and main quests pale in comparison to the ones in The Witcher series. Their characters are mostly one-dimensional.

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-sales-split-30-pc-70-console/

30% PC and 70% consoles. If the PS4 got 2x the sales of XBOne (assuming from the number of consoles sold) then we're talking 30% PC, 23% XBOne and 47% PS4.

At the same time, they claim 75% retail copies to 25% digital copies.
For me, this is strange. I thought over 95% of the PC sales would be digital, but these numbers say the PC has sold at least some 15-20% retail copies. That's ~300.000 retail copies on the PC, at least.

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-sales-split-30-pc-70-console/

30% PC and 70% consoles. If the PS4 got 2x the sales of XBOne (assuming from the number of consoles sold) then we're talking 30% PC, 23% XBOne and 47% PS4.

For me, this is strange. I thought over 95% of the PC sales would be digital, but these numbers say the PC has sold at least some 15-20% retail copies. That's ~300.000 retail copies on the PC, at least.

Part of the reason might be the bundle CDPR offered with boxed versions of TW3. I got digital copy through GOG.com but both my brothers pre-ordered from Amazon for the extras in the box :) I played a day earlier but they got very nice map and Audio CD and some other stuff instead :)

Yeah, a proper real-life map would definitely come in handy!

I took it to mean that 25% of the overall sales were digital. So assign 20% to the 30% PC sales and 5% to console sales? 2/3 of the PC sales digital makes more sense, the other 1/3 likely a majority of pre-orders for the game from Amazon etc.

Oh f..... I hate Gwent right now. Who thought it would be a good idea to have cards that can call a whole bunch of other cards in your deck? It's fucking ridiculous that I have to play against somebody that can use like 50+ cards in a game because of that (blacksmith in Oxenford).

It's just impossible to win. Yeah maybe when you get better cards... but there hardly are any places to get cards (I'm still at the bloody Baron quest, even though I'm almost level 13 now... so many side quests and places to check out). I could come back later... except there is no way I'm going to remember.

Other than that.... I've now played for 66 hours and as I'm still at the bloody baron quest I guess I'm still pretty early in the game. There is just so much stuff to do. It's nice that there is so much to do, but I kinda wonder if it's not too much. I could probably spend another 60 hours in Velen. I just wonder if the game stays fun if there is like 200+ hours of content. I could just rush the main quest and skip the rest but that's not really fun either.

Anyway I don't think I'll be playing Fallout 4 anytime soon. Though knowing Bethesda not playing Fallout 4 until sometime autumn next year might actually be best :LOL:

And I still got MGS, Wolfenstein and The Evil within too...

I actually beat that blacksmith in Oxenford easily iirc. My current Monster cards at the moment give me my highest points count. One game had 131 and still some cards in hand. They current don't stand a chance. I feel like I've put in 200+ hours. I do most of the minor quests in an area before I move on and even then while I'm on Skellige at the moment, I still find new minor quests to do in Novigrad. The game is huge. I can't wait for the new expansion. :)

I'm waiting for Hearts of Stone to start my third run.

This time it will be on my new MG279Q screen, instead of an old Dell 2009W. I'm ready to be amazed :eek:

Back