Fair to say MS strength - software, Sony's strength = hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commenter

Newcomer
Given that the PS4 OS needs two full jaguar cores and MS has managed to run the XBox one OS one nearly one full core, and only using a fraction of the second core if voice commands are disabled would it fair to say Sony - hardware win, while MS = software win.

Of course the Xbox has a slightly higher clock and this will help but I'm sure it's more down to efficiecny of code that they managed to run the majority of the OS on one core.

I would think that it is pointless to evaluate both companies in such way through the extremely limited scope of consoles furthermore the ongoing generation of consoles.

It's not that simple.

Do they run the same software? No.

Then how can you measure it?
I'm talking about actual resources that can be employed towards game performance. The ps4 will always likely need two cores to run its OS functions while on xbox one you can use 80% of the 7th core.

I'm talking about actual resources that can be employed towards game performance. The ps4 will always likely need two cores to run its OS functions while on xbox one you can use 80% of the 7th core.
Why likely? We have no idea of what the various design goals are of each O/S or what the quirks are of each. Anyone with that knowledge is NDA'd to kingdom come, XB1 has some great hardware design features and PS4 has some great software features. I guess I just don't see the consistent through line you seem to here and unless I understand what you see I can't really comment. What features for you define MS' software and Sony's hardware as better?

Given that the PS4 OS needs two full jaguar cores and MS has managed to run the XBox one OS one nearly one full core, and only using a fraction of the second core if voice commands are disabled would it fair to say Sony - hardware win, while MS = software win.
that was the case at launch. We don't know if it's still the case now.

that was the case at launch. We don't know if it's still the case now.
At launch the PS4's SDK and toolchain was lauded was being as great as Xbox One's was as being lacking and incomplete - which was ironic since Sony's SDK is built around VisualStudio.

Clearly much has changed.

I don't see the purpose of this thread. Trying to generalize both companies though the performance of their video game consoles doesn't make sense.

What are those cores doing? Are PS4's cores even utilised or is one reserved for possible future expansion? Without any idea what the actual OS workloads are, it's impossible to draw conclusions like this. I don't even know the purpose of trying to make such a conclusion either.

Thread closed. It's not a technical argument and isn't a logical discussion. The answer to the OP is basically 'no' - It's not fair to say either one or other is better at software or hardware given the point of reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back