LG G2 video ram "seems" to be failing

Sxotty

Legend
Very strange issue.

LG G2 and the screen had the crazy colors you might get on a video card when the VRAM goes bad. The strange thing is I did a factory reset and ran stress tests and it worked perfectly.

Then I inserted a sim card and boom it went crazy again. Sometimes display is missized and drawn over itself, other times just the fuzzy random colors. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how to actually fix it. I was thinking of swapping the innards from another working G2 I have that has the touchscreen glitch issue, but I am pretty curious if this error makes any sense at all, or if perhaps something got inside the phone and a sim card makes a ribbon cable get pushed or something strange. I can't think of a good explanation.

Currently I am just using an old nexus 4.

edit:
So I popped open the phone and pulled out the sim tray and immediately it went back to working perfectly. Definitely the cause. I blew out the slot and put the card in with back off it worked fine. Put back on and it still worked, so who knows. I did not see anything in there and it might fail again, but for now I am happy.

Last edited:
Well bummer when it got hot in sun it started again. Same thing in pocket, but at least it went back to normal without removing sim card. Might have to take it apart again and see if there is anything nearby the sim slot.

So I went to way to much effort and swapped the mainboard in phone (accidentally popping off the heat spreader). The same problem occurred. The next step was the daughter-board at the bottom, but it turned out the connector down there was loose so hopefully that was the entirety of the problem. I am assuming that is so and moving on from there.

No it wasn't hard to take apart at all really. Luckily I did not have to replace the screen. That is harder. I crashed my mountain bike soon after I got my phone and broke the camera and screen. Took it apart to replace both. The silly camera I got to replace it was bad so I had to take it apart again. Then all was well until the digitizer quit working over part of the screen (common problem) so when someone I knew had a broken G2 they gave it to me and I decided to frankenstein them together, but like I said I made a silly mistake and popped the heat spreader off. That is actually probably better than the heat tape though since that is never put back on well.

I imagine that if the screen has to be removed then most modern phones are a pain. In the old days that was easy too. (haha old days like 2009).

And yes there are a number of boards in there. Basically the camera module, mainboard, two pieces that connect to the lower board have these little wing boards, and then there is the board at the bottom of the phone.

It is still working perfect now so I am happy. Must have been flexing the case a bit or something, or who knows maybe both ends of cable were loose.

Back